What Did You Fly Today

Hoomi

Master member
Maiden flight of the Mavic 2 Zoom. Hoping to get some nice video next Saturday of the Union Pacific Big Boy as it goes by this location. This is the Cienega Creek Riparian Area, just off Marsh Station Road, east of Tucson. Altitude when I took this shot was around 300'.

I'm not sure if the Big Boy will take the line over the old trestle, or if they'll keep that behemoth to the newer line along the creek, but this location should be good for either. Both lines are UP right-of-way, and currently active for mainline traffic.
CienegaCreekShare.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Maiden flight of the Mavic 2 Zoom. Hoping to get some nice video next Saturday of the Union Pacific Big Boy as it goes by this location. This is the Cienega Creek Riparian Area, just off Marsh Station Road, east of Tucson. Altitude when I took this shot was around 300'.

I'm not sure if the Big Boy will take the line over the old trestle, or if they'll keep that behemoth to the newer line along the creek, but this location should be good for either. Both lines are UP right-of-way, and currently active for mainline traffic.
View attachment 145183
Beautiful picture! I have a spark and the technology in these drones is just so advanced. Have fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have the Spark as well, and it amazes me what kind of video that little drone can deliver. I'm planning on getting my Part 107 Certification, and getting set-up to do some professional drone work on the side.
Yeah - the spark is just perfect for me - a fun drone to do occasional projects but if I used it commercially or more seriously, I’d look into the mavic. Do you have the transmitter version? I can’t imagine flying it without the transmitter and only off the phone! What was DJI thinking? Well I guess it’s cheaper and can get more people into advanced drones.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Mavic my buddy Scott uses has a transmitter that cradles the phone. The hands on control is off the Tx, and all the flight info and filming is on the phone, could be hooked up with FPV goggles as well. It would be a good drone for professional commercial use.

Is Part 107 a certification for commercial drone use, some kind of licence or something?

Hoomi

Master member
I have the remote for the Spark as well. One big limitation I did not like about using only phone and hand-gestures for control, was the very limited range. That might be fine for someone who only wants a selfie-drone, but I wanted a drone I could do more scenery photography/videography with.

Anyone flying a drone over a certain weight within the US must be registered with the FAA. The basic registration requires no exam and minimal fee, and our drones must have our registration number displayed on them on the outside of the drone. The number cannot be inside, or under the battery. Basic registration carries limitations as to where, when, and how we are allowed to fly. Part 107 Certification requires taking an FAA Exam on various aspects of aviation rules and practices. IIRC, there is a fee of something like $150 to take the exam, but having the certification opens up greater possibilities for flying venues.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You pulled off some great flying. But those low passes were insane! You gottta love somebody who laughs as they fly a plane at their head! Then what do you do? You do it some more! :love:

Great video, man. Boss all the way! :)
Yea i had a lot of fun with that flight, I just had a thought actually. I really like this pusher jet 22... has anyone put a C pack in any of the STEM Jets Alpha Bravo or Charlie :unsure::eek:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Put the Sportster up for her maiden today, Got some vid. Check it out:
Nice maiden! We should all have a cheer squad. Then they checked the wind for you? Just awesome. Good flying, once again, Battleaxe. Not a plane I would have expected you to build. It's just kind of boring, but it looked like you had fun with it. :)

I've got to say congratulations on your 40th YouTube video! We finally got to hear the Canadian, say "Eh." :LOL:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice maiden! We should all have a cheer squad. Then they checked the wind for you? Just awesome. Good flying, once again, Battleaxe. Not a plane I would have expected you to build. It's just kind of boring, but it looked like you had fun with it. :)

I've got to say congratulations on your 40th YouTube video! We finally got to hear the Canadian, say "Eh." :LOL:
Haha eh! It is a boring plane compared to what I have already done. I wanted to build it for a couple reasons, 1. to get back to basics, I have been modifying the hell out of planes with 50/50 success on many levels and I think it will help me fine tune skills I already have worked out, just not smoothed out. 2. I need to practice ground take off and landings to get ready for flying off water next spring.

Trust me I am not scared of the speed the 22 has and I want more, So the Sportster is getting a 11x7x3 prop either tomorrow or the next day to see what that will do, a little mad experiment as per say. I haven't flown a plane with this prop yet so I think this plane is fitting for it. And the weight of the floats will need that kind of pull anyway. The 9x6x2 is probably the smallest prop i would use on it anyway.

man-bot

I took my Alien out to blow the dust off it after flying the Mach1 and Taz so much.

Decided to tweak the pids and start flying 5s so I can consolodate packs and not keep so many different sizes.

Man.. going from flying 70+ degree camera tilt at high throttle getting back to 25 was strange not to mention the rates difference. Took a few packs to shake the rust loose.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Inverted with ease my friend.

Tried to do the humpty bump with it... was running kinda slow with the 9x6 prop. Gonna step it up to 11x7x3 in the next couple days. More pull, more vertical… maybe more amps too
I've missed a lot of posts here, I'm afraid. I don't know why, I'm just not getting updated. In trying to catch up, I saw this one.

The "Humpty Bump?" That's just go vertical, roll inverted and come back down, right?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I've missed a lot of posts here, I'm afraid. I don't know why, I'm just not getting updated. In trying to catch up, I saw this one.

The "Humpty Bump?" That's just go vertical, roll inverted and come back down, right?
You got it bud. Not as easy as it sounds with a plane that is all FB white, mind you I tried it for the first time today cuz I saw it on a vid @bracesport posted here yesterday. Orientation was an issue. I have done a lot of inverted dives to change direction, or pulled up to inverted and roll for the same effect, this one steps up the game though

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You got it bud. Not as easy as it sounds with a plane that is all FB white, mind you I tried it for the first time today cuz I saw it on a vid @bracesport posted here yesterday. Orientation was an issue. I have done a lot of inverted dives to change direction, or pulled up to inverted and roll for the same effect, this one steps up the game though
Nah, you got that. Really. If you can fly, you can do that move. Heck, I've done that over and over without even knowing it had a name, it was just a convenient way to change direction.

I'm not bragging. My flying skills are questionable, at best. I think that move is kind of like saving a bad launch in the wind. You don't really think about it, so much as just do it.

It's easy to think it through, envision it and then attempt it. Much easier when it just happens.

MAN, I want to fly!! Shoot! My darn pulse is up!

Nothing to that move. If you want a challenge? Search the forum for the "Cobra." I hope to try it on my next outing. It's not like flying 3D or anything. That's going to take me tons of time and effort.

I think I can do the Cobra with my MSBP though. We'll see. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nah, you got that. Really. If you can fly, you can do that move. Heck, I've done that over and over without even knowing it had a name, it was just a convenient way to change direction.

I'm not bragging. My flying skills are questionable, at best. I think that move is kind of like saving a bad launch in the wind. You don't really think about it, so much as just do it.

It's easy to think it through, envision it and then attempt it. Much easier when it just happens.

MAN, I want to fly!! Shoot! My darn pulse is up!

Nothing to that move. If you want a challenge? Search the forum for the "Cobra." I hope to try it on my next outing. It's not like flying 3D or anything. That's going to take me tons of time and effort.

I think I can do the Cobra with my MSBP though. We'll see. :)
I look up the cobra, I thought it was just a high alpha but I will look for it