What Did You Fly Today

mdcerdan

Elite member
I finally found a moment to fly my 3d printed pod motor glider. Just one 1300mAh battery for a half hour of flight. I was not able to get the motor angle right so I had to program a mix to avoid too much pitch up on full throttle. After that it flew ok with a nice glide slope. Forecast for the next few days is wind and more wind. So it was today or being grounded for the rest of the week.
20210715_163324.jpg
20210715_163123.jpg

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
No. :oops: (I only searched "umx ultrix"...) Looks like the 600mm has landing gear and an actual XT-something plug for the battery. Neither of which appear on its little brother. I wonder how it handles at low speeds ... mine does that very well.

Anyway, the small one is still a joy to fly. And maybe I'll remember to get a flight on video sometime. :)
Im super stoked for the little one because it is the perfect size to fly in my front yard. Im not sure if the landing gear is one wheel or two. but you could easily make some for the ultrix. I have landing gear from a wrecked duet, I might try those.It runs on a 650- 850mah 3s so probably an xt30. Video seems to show that is flys exactly like a larger version of the mini.

I am dying to fly it (it did not come today, will have to be patient)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Windier then crap today but decided to take a couple guys up anyways, of course the wind was diagonal to the field so taking off and landing is a challenge. The wind twice tried to roll the Ercoupe when I went to take off, had to give it full right aileron to keep the wing level. Took out the Big Bird also and no real issues with the wind on takeoff because wind shifted slightly plus it takes off in a few feet, both landed ok and came home in one piece.

F.K1999

Yesterday I tried to test my 70 mm EDF Tigershark, but it was a comlete failure due to multiple design mistakes. So I just attached this fan to my old abandoned Vulcan glider and it was a success. Now I plan to design a detachable 3D printed belly mounted engine pod like on the real life engine testbed Vulcans.
IMG_20210630_151505.jpg
IMG_20210716_200032.jpg
IMG_20210716_195848_1.jpg
IMG_20210716_195849.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210630_151505.jpg
    IMG_20210630_151505.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210716_200032.jpg
    IMG_20210716_200032.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210716_195848_1.jpg
    IMG_20210716_195848_1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210716_195849.jpg
    IMG_20210716_195849.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Unfortunately it was destroyed by me after failed test flight. Maybe I'll made another prototype with completely redesigned wing and larger intakes.
I have one here waiting to maiden. Mine's just a box fuse but I'm still real happy with it. When drawing it up it was an exercise in "How much can I enlarge this wing and still have it look just like an F-5?"

L Edge

Master member
Today, bad day to fly, hot, humid, and wind that went from 0 to 15mph, changing more than 90 degrees in direction, field surrounded by trees which causes havoc by trying to flip your plane over and headed for ground in a mere instant.

If you design properly you can beat the odds of a crash. One- you need good power, two- lot's of dihedral to right it(10 degrees under each wing), good elevons and rudder galore to handle the crosswinds and downwinds . Found a plane that LGplanes designed from one sheet of foam, enlargened it and added "the udder rudder". Now I have a plane that when everyone else at the field quits, this keeps me flying. Added the other type of expo to the rudder so when I do the high alpha stuff, rudder is very effective because it always has airflow(motor is less than 1/4 speed) with high deflections to account for the high angles of attack giving good yaw control. Today, I even flew stationary due to the udder rudder. I want to thank him for the concept.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...amonds-model-to-a-64mm-edf.59629/#post-490926

F.K1999

I have one here waiting to maiden. Mine's just a box fuse but I'm still real happy with it. When drawing it up it was an exercise in "How much can I enlarge this wing and still have it look just like an F-5?"
It would be interesting to see your F-5 and it's wing shape. I plan to increase wingspan and tip chord, remove strakes and use NACA 2412 airfoil in the next prototype.

It would be interesting to see your F-5 and it's wing shape. I plan to increase wingspan and tip chord, remove strakes and use NACA 2412 airfoil in the next prototype.
I went completely different than you. Simple box fuse, oversize wing, simple undercambered wing. Twin motors/props will be mounted on fake drop tanks underneath, and the props will sit right behind the wing trailing edge. Maybe the wings ARE a little too big. :D I think it should have no trouble flying (if I were a good enough pilot!) because there'll be no lack of power. Even if I built those wings of flat pieces of foamboard it should still fly great, I would think.
Wish me luck.

IMG_1835.JPG IMG_1844.jpg IMG_1847.jpg

F.K1999

I went completely different than you. Simple box fuse, oversize wing, simple undercambered wing. Twin motors/props will be mounted on fake drop tanks underneath, and the props will sit right behind the wing trailing edge. Maybe the wings ARE a little too big. :D I think it should have no trouble flying (if I were a good enough pilot!) because there'll be no lack of power. Even if I built those wings of flat pieces of foamboard it should still fly great, I would think.
Wish me luck.

View attachment 203786 View attachment 203787 View attachment 203788
Looks great, props make this challenge much easier. And your airframe is probably much lighter. Now I'll have to design a new wing and try not to turn F-20 into F-80

Scotto

Elite member
20210716_134520.jpg
First flight with my new radiomaster. I was excited to try out flaperons on Lucky the baby blender. I messed something up because a little aileron trim gets larger with flaps down. I also wanted to try a new 3512 and 12x6 prop. Ive named him Lucky because last time I landed hard in the dark and the rubber bands holding the gear on fell off. I assumed they broke so I took the gear off and threw him without considering the big change in CG. But he survived! Besides just how twitchy the thing is by nature. Here is yesterdays video. https://odysee.com/@Scotto:7/Luckybipe:9 Spoiler alert. The prop landed in the short grass. Didnt even have to hunt for it! Roughed up the shaft with sandpaper for some friction. Lesson learned.