What Did You Fly Today

Flyingshark

Master member
Today I thought I'd try out my Tiny Trainer with its newly added FPV system, but that didn't quite pan out. (I'll pause for laughter at that camera pun.) Apparently I need to get diopter lenses for the goggles, because the image was super blurry. I'd originally thought that was an issue with the cheap camera since the screen seems pretty close to my eyes in the goggles, but I guess it's really an issue with me.

So instead, I flew my Spitfire, with its brand new wing! :D
IMG_1941.jpeg

MaxTheFliteFreak

Day 4 of flying, flight #12. First 8 were with the instructor on his Carbon Cub, the latter 4 were on my FT Storch. Day 3 ended with a nose over that broke the prop and bent up the front-end. Today was with the new 3D printed front-end of the Turbo Storch. The day ended with only one flight, no crash and only a little drama. The plane now with calibrated ESC has enough power to take off in a couple of lengths and climb quite well. It was a little windy and I had trouble coming back upwind to the field. Anyway one flight and just barely back to the landing field and the motor popped. Nobody home. With the head-wind, it pretty much just descended down like it was an elevator. I flared just right with a sweet 3 point landing. It didn't roll any. The peanut gallery applauded.
Congratulations! I wish my instructor had the time to fly and wasn't sick.

Reactions: Inq

danskis

Master member
@Flyingshark Flys like a Spitfire.....what a great design and plane.!! In my mind the video is perfect, not too long with lots of close in flying. Good job. Did you use your phone?

mastermalpass

Elite member
Anyway one flight and just barely back to the landing field and the motor popped. Nobody home. With the head-wind, it pretty much just descended down like it was an elevator. I flared just right with a sweet 3 point landing. It didn't roll any. The peanut gallery applauded.

There's no satisfaction quite like gently landing a plane safely after an engine failure! 😁

Inq

Elite member
There's no satisfaction quite like gently landing a plane safely after an engine failure! 😁

Maybe, I need to do all my landings like that.

Before my exaggerated stork legs mod, I always seemed to ground-loop, or snag a tip. To tell the truth... that has been my only good landing so far.

The top wire uses the full 36" length of 1/8" music wire. Even with the 10" prop, it still has 6" of ground clearance, track of 24" and 3" forward of the front edge of wing. And taxiing out to the strip centerline and doing a 180 is now possible even on deep turf with the 4" wheels. But I do get a lot of snickers from the peanut gallery.

432075_eefacd5895294a0ffa75eee9b5f096c4.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I actually have my eye on that b-17 in the background, they both look amazing!

B-17 is down for maintenance but they plan to fly the B-25 for next couple months. the B-17 currently is missing an engine, right outboard. they drug it out today to give the nacelles all a wash. said it would be back in 2-3 months.

Bricks

Master member
definitely not RC but...

View attachment 233518

i may, or may not, have been given the sticks and flown it. i also may or may not have taken an Insta360 of the whole flight. stay tuned. ;)

View attachment 233519

so much fun!

laters,

me :cool:

Back in the early 60`s I got a ride in a Sterling nothing like being inverted and hanging onto the bottom of your seat for dear life. It was fun back in those days when someone took you for a ride it was a RIDE. My first barrel role was in a glider of WW II vintage. Bad thing was it was not planed a wing tip got to low in a turn and that particular style glider was good for not having enough aileron authority to bring the wing back up. The only way out was to roll her over, he had warned me of this before we were towed up.

Make darn sure you harness is TIGHT and right.

F.K1999

Today I flew my new RC Trainer and successfully tested some autonomous flight modes.
7987AF3A-8F96-4589-907F-DE548D08C3F3.jpeg
It was originally planned to be a twin engine version for the last year competition, but it was cancelled in favour of much better all-new design.
3BE9921D-99AB-4639-89FE-F69AF824D63A.jpeg
However, last month I crashed the first Trainer airframe and decided to complete abandoned airframe to replace the old one and fix some of its issues.
8EC2F2F4-ACC1-48ED-BF63-6066FAAE7CAA.jpeg
I made substantial improvements for this already successful design. It got fibreglass skin, detachable horizontal tail, new 3D printed mounts, extra side-looking GoPro window, Crossfire antenna buried inside of its fin.
88EAE78B-5B1C-4FDE-858B-98FA31F81916.jpeg

I even made an autonomous low pass in GPS mode
So I finally got an extremely durable, reliable and versatile workhorse for almost everyday use.