What Did You Fly Today

1958 MGA

FT3D XL scratch build, I couldn't wait for the plans to be released so I scaled up the original FT3D 55% to come out to a similar scale as the new FT 3D XL. I added some of the new build techniques as per the build videos.
Maiden went well yesterday, second flight ended abruptly with a ground strike. Broke the fuselage in half LOL.
It's repaired and ready for round 2. I think this is my new favorite, I also have a new scratch built Scout XL which Should maiden next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_7554.JPG
    IMG_7554.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7555.JPG
    IMG_7555.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

mcmoyer

I just recently finished a 120% FT-3D build from these plans - https://www.flitetest.com/articles/120-ft3d-swappable-with-dowloadable-plans

Turned out pretty good, but I'm struggling to get the CG far enough to the back. Flies pretty good right now, but it is nose heavy, so I think it'll be great once I get the CG positioned better. Will probably have to MacGyver a way to get the battery further back in the fuselage. Maybe a bottom hatch?

And of course I just bought the plans for the FT-3D XL. I really like the updates they've done to the airframe. Looking forward to that build now.

Attachments

• IMG_4003.jpeg
    IMG_4003.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4004.jpeg
    IMG_4004.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4005.jpeg
    IMG_4005.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

1958 MGA

Wow, I just checked the site and ordered the 3D XL plans. I guess I will be building another one shortly, LOL.
I'm going to need a bigger shop. My hand drawn plan looks almost the same.

mcmoyer

Wow, I just checked the site and ordered the 3D XL plans. I guess I will be building another one shortly, LOL.
I'm going to need a bigger shop. My hand drawn plan looks almost the same.

Ugh...just noticed I only have 4 sheets of DTFB. I guess I need to venture out and see if my local Dollar Store has replenished its supplies. Last few times I've been there, no stock at all.

luvmy40

Elite member
Ugh...just noticed I only have 4 sheets of DTFB. I guess I need to venture out and see if my local Dollar Store has replenished its supplies. Last few times I've been there, no stock at all.
Check Dollar Tree if you have one near by. They alwaysyseem to have an extra box of white FB in the back.

I just finished editing the 3D XL plans for the needle cutter. Not sure where I'll put it once it's built:unsure:

mcmoyer

I got the CG correct, but I had to make a bottom hatch to do it. Now I think it will be a belly lander. I've got to figure out how to make some skids now. Flies really nice. I flew it and my Eratix today in 10mph winds and they were both a great time. It doesn't get quite as slow as the Eratix :)

I did do a stall test today. I started about 50 feet up and cut throttle. I pulled back on the elevator and was able to keep the plane angled up a bit until I got to about 10 feet off the ground and decided I'd have no room to pull out of a wing tip if it happened. I love that aspect of this plane.

Attachments

• IMG_4050.jpeg
    IMG_4050.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

MaxTheFliteFreak

I haven't posted in this thread for a while as my flying mentor hasn't been flying, but I am now at a flying meet near the Dead Sea and the Jordanian border, and I finally got my hands back on the sticks and this is what happened: I practiced base to final aproaches with my mentor's Sky Surfer which went great. I forgot how well I fly for being so new! Next I got a taste of the giant Volantex ASW28 sailplane which was actually not that great of a glider and had a glide slope similiar to a Bixler XD, but it was still fun to fly. Next I flew my mentor's brand new "Victor" which is like the Sky Surfer but flies MUCH better and was muvh more responsive. Overall the day was great and I got to witness some amazing flying from very talented pilots. My mentor says that if I get enough flying done tomorrow, I may become an independant pilot, so I am looking forward to the next day!

Happy flying!

MaxTheFliteFreak

I became independant today! After countless flights with the buddy box and my mentor's Bixler, I am finally an independant pilot and can start flying some real model planes! I got my independance with my Volantex Pheonix EVO 1600 and got thee solo flights out of it today. What fun! Happy flying!

mastermalpass

Elite member
awesome maiden today with my Kitty Hawk
had to take the chance and go for it. 1st time the weather has been calm in many a week
what a fantastic maiden it was👍🤪

Ideal weather for it! Flies very nice and scale and for its size and I'd say that battery tray is pretty generous. Question about the flight performance; like your other jets this one follows a scale pattern, that being zoomy and wide. Is this out of preference, or more a case of cranking the rates up and trying to push it through tight maneuvers like a prop-in-slot would stall it straight down to the dirt?

shadeyB

Legendary member
I became independant today! After countless flights with the buddy box and my mentor's Bixler, I am finally an independant pilot and can start flying some real model planes! I got my independance with my Volantex Pheonix EVO 1600 and got thee solo flights out of it today. What fun! Happy flying!
awesome buddy congratulations, once you get your wings there’s no going back
Great job! I loved the multiple launches at the end.
cheers baddy. Just messing about and throwing wee bit extra in as not all stay to the end of videos
Ideal weather for it! Flies very nice and scale and for its size and I'd say that battery tray is pretty generous. Question about the flight performance; like your other jets this one follows a scale pattern, that being zoomy and wide. Is this out of preference, or more a case of cranking the rates up and trying to push it through tight maneuvers like a prop-in-slot would stall it straight down to the dirt?
thanks Pal, it’s a fantastic fuselage , this is my 3rd Hawk build, absolutely love it and flying characteristics, built both pusher and EDF . Actually put thrust vectoring on the pusher for a laugh 😂
the designs have a great all around scale look and flying style some with surprisingly low stall speeds

mastermalpass

Elite member
Joint-ops mission with ground and air models today:

Screenshot_20230122_123619_Gallery.jpg

That was until the wind got too strong so I landed with a bounce, that the wind turned into a cartwheel, during which the horizontal stab got snapped! Annoying, I was hoping to take off again later in a more sheltered spot. Ah well - at least I still have the truck. That one I can enjoy from the warmth of my car! 😁

Screenshot_20230122_124134_Gallery.jpg

bperc

I just finished editing the 3D XL plans for the needle cutter. Not sure where I'll put it once it's built:unsure:

I just bought the plans too and need to edit them for my needle cutter. What software did you use? When I was teaching I had access to Illustrator, but now I don't. I've tried using Inkscape, but when I export to dxf it's blank. I know I could retrace everything, but I'm hoping you have an easier solution.
Thanks

luvmy40

Elite member
I just bought the plans too and need to edit them for my needle cutter. What software did you use? When I was teaching I had access to Illustrator, but now I don't. I've tried using Inkscape, but when I export to dxf it's blank. I know I could retrace everything, but I'm hoping you have an easier solution.
Thanks
I use Inkscape. If the plans are copyright protected, your only option is to trace them from a locked layer. I think I spent about 3 hours tracing the FT 3D XL plans. It's not that dificult once you learn a few tricks.