What Did You Fly Today

OliverW

Legendary member
My slick hatch finally arrived!
20191119_161214.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Looks good. Seems like most planes I build I think for a split second "I could add lights..." but never do. Gotta ask though, why aren't the red/green lights at the wingtips?
Thanks! The red light is actually from the receiver, and as it was kinda hard to just fly off of that little light I added the green one in the back. it was a lot better but then I thought why not add wing tip lights. The white led's already had decent sized wire leads on them while the colored ones didn't so I decided to use them. It's a blast to fly right after sunset and considering I have 6 batteries for it, each of which (with calm flying) lasts 20 min. I can fly well into the night!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So I flew the champ today. In the evening actually since I have lights in it. It’s a bit heavy after my last repairs but it still flys well. View attachment 148615
That just looks so cool! You make me want to do the same. My Storch is a perfect candidate for that, and since I can only fly at dusk now, the timing is perfect.

I've absolutely no clue how to hook up lights. Have you got some info and links, maybe?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That just looks so cool! You make me want to do the same. My Storch is a perfect candidate for that, and since I can only fly at dusk now, the timing is perfect.

I've absolutely no clue how to hook up lights. Have you got some info and links, maybe?
Go for it! The champ was a bit more difficult and I was soldering the wires directly to the power cable going to the esc. I bought these for my big night flyers. If you get three, two for the wing (since the wing is so huge, one for each wing half) and one for the fuse. These are bright and so visible. I love them! This was only one strip in the simple soarer wing. It was windy, tail heavy, and no down thrust so a bit sketchy, but you can see how bright the lights are.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No. 1 So jealous of your weather, we are just above freezing temps for daily highs and there is snow on the ground.

No. 2 You my friend have become the high alpha king, it looked like you were just walking the dog down the street, making it look so easy. Have you thought of going with a 3D plane and elevate the skills there?

Vimana89

Legendary member
No. 1 So jealous of your weather, we are just above freezing temps for daily highs and there is snow on the ground.

No. 2 You my friend have become the high alpha king, it looked like you were just walking the dog down the street, making it look so easy. Have you thought of going with a 3D plane and elevate the skills there?
That'll possibly be on next year's agenda to try an all out 3d plane...along with a lot of other new ground to cover such as 4ch,EDF,and twin engine. There are deltas set up for 3d as well from what I've seen, and that's a seriously tempting option. The arrowhead can do a bit, especially with a four bladed prop. The slow top speed and massive spare thrust of the four blade gave me the courage to start playing with some brief inverted, plus can do some light 3d loops and flips. @SquirrelTail would be my go to guy when I end up trying 3d and having questions. There are definitely some others, but he comes to mind foremost as a badass 3der.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Hopefully this weekend! Got some pics. Still needs the cockpit, instrument panel, and floor. View attachment 148501
Glad to see you making progress on repairs. It was a bummer to see how hard the crash hit that bird, but I'm sure she will be flying again soon enough.:unsure: by the way what's that blue thing in the background...some sort of triplane:love:? I can't remember but think I've seen you flying one before, could have been somebody else.

OliverW

Legendary member
Glad to see you making progress on repairs. It was a bummer to see how hard the crash hit that bird, but I'm sure she will be flying again soon enough.:unsure: by the way what's that blue thing in the background...some sort of triplane:love:? I can't remember but think I've seen you flying one before, could have been somebody else.
This was not the one that went in. Wish I could have fixed it but there was no way it could be saved.

OliverW

Legendary member
That'll possibly be on next year's agenda to try an all out 3d plane...along with a lot of other new ground to cover such as 4ch,EDF,and twin engine. There are deltas set up for 3d as well from what I've seen, and that's a seriously tempting option. The arrowhead can do a bit, especially with a four bladed prop. The slow top speed and massive spare thrust of the four blade gave me the courage to start playing with some brief inverted, plus can do some light 3d loops and flips. @SquirrelTail would be my go to guy when I end up trying 3d and having questions. There are definitely some others, but he comes to mind foremost as a badass 3der.
Whenever you want hit me up and we can chat about 3D

Vimana89

Legendary member
This was not the one that went in. Wish I could have fixed it but there was no way it could be saved.
Ouch. I didn't catch that whole part about it, knew you had experience flying with two of them, or at least that there were two planes available to you. I didn't know one was beyond repair:(. Reminds me to laugh and not be so salty when I smash $2 of foam and four to six hours of work into the ground:LOL:. You fly big, you're gonna crash big sometimes, and you definitely fly big, in every sense of the word(y). I'll hit you up when I start planning in earnest to get into 3d. In fact, I may hit you up sooner than later just for some advice on doing more 3d on the Arrowhead and squeezing the most 3d potential out of that, and other things I could do on that platofrm to start getting used to 3d flying. Thanks a lot for being available to chat about such things, having the community is a huge blessing for all of us.