What Did You Fly Today

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I finally got some flying in today after a two week shut down due to waiting for a Tx

Being its been awhile and a maiden I was kinda shaky on the sticks, so was the cameraman lol
I was going to be all smart a$$ and mention how that plane lasted so much longer than the previous several. Then, OUCH! I love your new flying area, but you can't seem to catch a break!

I think it's back to the basics for you, my friend! Simple and tried and true. Build it to fly it. You need a win! :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I was going to be all smart a$$ and mention how that plane lasted so much longer than the previous several. Then, OUCH! I love your new flying area, but you can't seem to catch a break!

I think it's back to the basics for you, my friend! Simple and tried and true. Build it to fly it. You need a win! :)
That’s the bushwhacker my friend.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Aww shucks you are just sayin that. You're gone make me blush :ROFLMAO:

Actually it was a bear to fly, gonna scrap it and revisit with something else later.
Mark of a good pilot right there. I've had some planes that were crap I've made look not-half-bad on camera(y). Wings are a challenge to you. Haven't tried them myself outside a sim. I think you'd like deltas; there's a lot of room to choose/create something exactly to your liking, as far as aspect ratio and control scheme, prop placement, etc. There's so many varieties of deltas out there to choose plans or base your own custom design off of. CG is more forgiving than wings, and many varieties of deltas are stable and "hands off", at least more so than the wings you have been flying. You won't necessarily have to add a tail plane to a good delta to get the stability you want, although I did to create the Arrowhead.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I did build a bunch of stock planes and they did work out well, and I have built handful of custom/modded planes and have worked out even better. My bad luck has mostly caused by bad faulty electronics. Built stock or modded doesn't make a difference if the systems aren't communicating. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of pilot error in the equation as well. If I didn't like to build then I would have given up on this a long time ago.

I am not worried I just gotta learn from and work through it, and they are just foamies. I would rather do it this way then spend hundreds to thousands of dollars to get where I am at today. And today's flight was experimental anyway, I am immune to the wrecks now, build fly crash repeat rite!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
DR1. It flies. landing.. er not as much. :) Convinced my wife to come out fairly early with me and it was cold. The DR1 maiden flight was a success i think. I realized I hadn't set up dual rates for it and again, just sent it anyway :) The take off was near vertical befor i knew it. once i get the hang of this plane i think it is going to be a lot of fun to fly. not long into the flight my fingers started to hurt from the cold. and it got harder to fly. this thing wants to play in the sky. i think it will roll pretty easily without having ailerons. anyway i am stalling now. the landing was more of my fingers slipped and i cut throttle and fell out of the sky awkwardly . the landing gear was not happy. all else looked good. but just before the second flight i noticed the prop angle was more extremely angled than i remembered. the "landing" crumpled the power pod just a bit and i felt i shouldn't send it up again with the added right and down angle to the prop. and it was really cold :) Easy fix. so far my best and least damaged plane is the very first one i flew the mini scout.

squish.jpg
smash.jpg

oh and I didn't forget the video :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
DR1. It flies. landing.. er not as much. :) Convinced my wife to come out fairly early with me and it was cold. The DR1 maiden flight was a success i think. I realized I hadn't set up dual rates for it and again, just sent it anyway :) The take off was near vertical befor i knew it. once i get the hang of this plane i think it is going to be a lot of fun to fly. not long into the flight my fingers started to hurt from the cold. and it got harder to fly. this thing wants to play in the sky. i think it will roll pretty easily without having ailerons. anyway i am stalling now. the landing was more of my fingers slipped and i cut throttle and fell out of the sky awkwardly . the landing gear was not happy. all else looked good. but just before the second flight i noticed the prop angle was more extremely angled than i remembered. the "landing" crumpled the power pod just a bit and i felt i shouldn't send it up again with the added right and down angle to the prop. and it was really cold :) Easy fix. so far my best and least damaged plane is the very first one i flew the mini scout.

View attachment 148751 View attachment 148753

oh and I didn't forget the video :)

Great - you were flying that thing all over the place. Makes me kinda want to build one... That many flights in for me was I was lucky to get 25 seconds in... The prop looks fine from the pic to me. Keep up the good flying! Here’s a pic of one of my mini power pods that I’m finally going to rebuild for my mini guinea pig.
image.jpg

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Great - you were flying that thing all over the place. Makes me kinda want to build one... That many flights in for me was I was lucky to get 25 seconds in... The prop looks fine from the pic to me. Keep up the good flying! Here’s a pic of one of my mini power pods that I’m finally going to rebuild for my mini guinea pig. View attachment 148754
Yea.. that one is worse than mine for sure. maybe my small dent was just the excuse I needed to get back in the warm truck :) that and I kind of wanted to keep all three wings attached and it was squirrely enough with the prop pointing in the original direction :)

rcpilot2

yeah, these small one can be a handful. if you want something big and floaty, make a FB version of the SIG Kadet. I made one with a poer pack c on 3s and it had just barely enought power to fly. but it floated like a kite. i will probably add ailerons though, just to get that added control. BTW, is it right that ive been using the same emaxx 2215 motor for 2.5 years now?? iy may or may not be slightly less power, but still enough to have fun with.

rcpilot2

welp just took my FB Crbon Cub out for a spin, flew OK, still tryin to work the bugs out of it. then i came in for a touch and go, bounced one whell then hit the prop on the rock. i firewalled it (of course) and it leaped airborne again. but it made a horrible noise like the plane was gonna fly apart. once i landed, i looked and sure enough, a chunk of the prop was missing. guess i might need a new one lol. at least i got something in the air.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
if you want a plane that is super simple and can fly into anything, build what i call the plank. basically a full sheet of foam with a vertical, a motor, and huge elevons. just google "flying sheet of foam board.
it is at about 2:30. this thing mushed around really slow and will "trim" trees for you. i used a power pack b with a 2200 3s. this is not my video

i used the "plank" idea to make my Mario Cart.

challenge was simple, only 3 rules.

1- had to be minimum of 1 sheet of FB in size
2- had to have 4 wheels
3- had to be modeled after a "comical" figure

i originally used a contra-rotating motor/prop combo with a 8" prop and 2x 850 LiHV 3S batteries. i won the competition but in all the fun damaged the motor mount. so i put it in the corner to sit until i decided to mess with it again.

last week i pulled it out, pulled the motor, replaced with an old C-pack 2215 and a 9" prop and a 3S-2200. first flight was good but one of my wires slipped in the linkage screw and down it went. thankfully it landed wheels up and had no damage other than a prop. i did some quick maintenance and threw it back up. flew perfect 2x more times that day.

i will try and get some video tomorrow. it is a hoot to "hot rod" around the field like a fast car (it has excellent ground turning), then take off and fly like everyone else. touch and go's are a whole new thing now... :ROFLMAO:

20191102_170403.jpg

laters,

me :cool:

rcpilot2

2- had to have 4 wheels

i originally used a contra-rotating motor/prop combo with a 8" prop and 2x 850 LiHV 3S batteries. i won the competition but in all the fun damaged the motor mount. so i put it in the corner to sit until i decided to mess with it again.

last week i pulled it out, pulled the motor, replaced with an old C-pack 2215 and a 9" prop and a 3S-2200. first flight was good but one of my wires slipped in the linkage screw and down it went. thankfully it landed wheels up and had no damage other than a prop. i did some quick maintenance and threw it back up. flew perfect 2x more times that day.

i will try and get some video tomorrow. it is a hoot to "hot rod" around the field like a fast car (it has excellent ground turning), then take off and fly like everyone else. touch and go's are a whole new thing now... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 148775

laters,

This looks like Alex's Mario Kart he built. xD I should try this sometime.

speedbirdted

Legendary member

2- had to have 4 wheels

View attachment 148775

laters,

Square nutball? Nutsquare? (Doesn't really roll off the tongue...)