What Did You Fly Today

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
DR1. It flies. landing.. er not as much. :) Convinced my wife to come out fairly early with me and it was cold. The DR1 maiden flight was a success i think. I realized I hadn't set up dual rates for it and again, just sent it anyway :) The take off was near vertical befor i knew it. once i get the hang of this plane i think it is going to be a lot of fun to fly. not long into the flight my fingers started to hurt from the cold. and it got harder to fly. this thing wants to play in the sky. i think it will roll pretty easily without having ailerons. anyway i am stalling now. the landing was more of my fingers slipped and i cut throttle and fell out of the sky awkwardly . the landing gear was not happy. all else looked good. but just before the second flight i noticed the prop angle was more extremely angled than i remembered. the "landing" crumpled the power pod just a bit and i felt i shouldn't send it up again with the added right and down angle to the prop. and it was really cold :) Easy fix. so far my best and least damaged plane is the very first one i flew the mini scout.

View attachment 148751 View attachment 148753

oh and I didn't forget the video :)

That was a really good flight man, Surprising how floaty the bi/triplanes can be to fly. Yours hopped right off the ground. Looked like you were having fun with it too. Those light poles can be plane magnets, keep an eye out, they jump out at ya. I dig the hat too.

Was the wife impressed with your flying prowess? Tell her mine wasn't to impressed with my pilot skills, or lack there of, in the beginning. So many planes and so little flight time.

I will tell you the Bushwhacker is a treat to fly. The maiden flight was an easy cruisy kind of operation. I am still not as coonfident on the sticks just getting back into the game, I know its all in my head but it will come back. I am gonna take it up again tomorrow, got 3 batts to burn through it and I should be able to put it through it's paces. You should build one sometime, i have been flying for a while now and just like @buzzbomb, it is refreshing to get back to the slower planes.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
DR1. It flies. landing.. er not as much. :) Convinced my wife to come out fairly early with me and it was cold. The DR1 maiden flight was a success i think. I realized I hadn't set up dual rates for it and again, just sent it anyway :) The take off was near vertical befor i knew it. once i get the hang of this plane i think it is going to be a lot of fun to fly. not long into the flight my fingers started to hurt from the cold. and it got harder to fly. this thing wants to play in the sky. i think it will roll pretty easily without having ailerons. anyway i am stalling now. the landing was more of my fingers slipped and i cut throttle and fell out of the sky awkwardly . the landing gear was not happy. all else looked good. but just before the second flight i noticed the prop angle was more extremely angled than i remembered. the "landing" crumpled the power pod just a bit and i felt i shouldn't send it up again with the added right and down angle to the prop. and it was really cold :) Easy fix. so far my best and least damaged plane is the very first one i flew the mini scout.

View attachment 148751 View attachment 148753

oh and I didn't forget the video :)

I challenge any new pilot to land the DR1 without destroying the pretty bits of the landing gear. My first landing with that plane, was exactly as yours. Difference is, I didn't have those absolutely sexy wheels!

I took off all the extraneous foamboard down there. Then I just flew the heck out her. You've got it going on. She's not the easiest bird to fly, and you pretty much owned it! I call that a Well Done! Congratulations on that maiden flight! It only get's better from here. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
just like @buzzbomb, it is refreshing to get back to the slower planes.
Whattt!!??? What did I miss? The Storch? Did you see those landings? Frackin' awesome! @sundown57's slow flyer is still a challenge for me. I've yet to get that one right. Don't call me out for "getting back to slower!" I'm going to mosey around in the sky with that wonderful bird that is the Storch.

Coming in for a landing, even at zero throttle, it doesn't seem slow. Everything happens so fast. When those wheels touch down, and roll along with just a little skid? That's Gold!

I'm still tweaking my Mig3, my Spitfire still rules the sky and my MSBP makes the sky wish it had one. Ain't nothin' slow going on around here! I'm thinking maybe you've got some catching up to do! :love::LOL:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ok there tiger, I understand how sensitive you might be to the slowing of the senses as age creeps up on you lol. I get it and I will be catching up in that sense of the word. :LOL:

Did you see my maiden today? Would you call that a win by your standards? It's not all failures here. "Get back to basics" he says! The vid is worth a thousand words my friend.

See you at FF Ohio bud, we will see who serves who :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok there tiger, I understand how sensitive you might be to the slowing of the senses as age creeps up on you lol. I get it and I will be catching up in that sense of the word. :LOL:

Did you see my maiden today? Would you call that a win by your standards? It's not all failures here. "Get back to basics" he says! The vid is worth a thousand words my friend.

See you at FF Ohio bud, we will see who serves who :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh, no you didn't! :eek: How many videos do YOU have on this thread?

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/“fly-as-hard-as-you-can”-challenge.60776/

Age didn't creep up on me. Age slapped me in the a$$! Difference is, I'm not letting it hold me back... Dot. Dot. Dot. BOOM! :eek: I love you man. Which maiden? I don't want to miss it, if I did. I won't be at FF Ohio in person. I'll be there in spirit, though. Go get 'em, Tiger!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Look up the page man, It's like 3 or 4 posts above yours.

I'm just busting your cajones man. High regards held to you and all who put themselves out there enough to post vids of failures and success's here on the forums.

Man I don't need to have a special thread to prove I fly hard, I fly hard 90% of the time. Have you seen my plane and crash count to date lol

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Look up the page man, It's like 3 or 4 posts above yours.

I'm just busting your cajones man. High regards held to you and all who put themselves out there enough to post vids of failures and success's here on the forums.

Man I don't need to have a special thread to prove I fly hard, I fly hard 90% of the time. Have you seen my plane and crash count to date lol
Yeah, I'm with you all the way. Just busting back atcha!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
it was so wet today that all my DTFB planes were beginning to sag. my delta wing looked like a wet dorrito in the sky it was flexing so much. looked like it had dihedral. :LOL:

was able to fly the Mario Cart and get some video. thanks to @Rasterize for working the camera.

don't mind the 2nd landing, i meant to do that... :unsure: ;) :sneaky:

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
it was so wet today that all my DTFB planes were beginning to sag. my delta wing looked like a wet dorrito in the sky it was flexing so much. looked like it had dihedral. :LOL:

was able to fly the Mario Cart and get some video. thanks to @Rasterize for working the camera.

don't mind the 2nd landing, i meant to do that... :unsure: ;) :sneaky:

laters,

me :cool:
That's cool, how are it's glide abilities :D :D , you know just incase you had to come in dead stick :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
finally got to maiden a bloody wonder today. I really do like this plane. Even on a windy day.

Nice flight, i thought you were gonna fly it right into the back of the van/hangar there lol,

Your vertical take off could use a sudden burst of throttle, not a slow run up, just for next time.

That thing has so much potential for high speed to, the short wing span and long chord makes it good for the wind as far as penetration, also makes for a wide and possibly fast speed envelope.

I had the Bloody wonder before but I was to notice to fly it and had it ripping around the neighborhood with very little control. I finally lawn darted it so hard in the back yard that the woman could here the thump in the house. I was picking dirt and grass out for days. I am in the process of building the Bloody Baron and hope to get a more controllable experience, now that I can fly with some common sense lol

sundown57

Legendary member
Nice flight, i thought you were gonna fly it right into the back of the van/hangar there lol,

Your vertical take off could use a sudden burst of throttle, not a slow run up, just for next time.

That thing has so much potential for high speed to, the short wing span and long chord makes it good for the wind as far as penetration, also makes for a wide and possibly fast speed envelope.

I had the Bloody wonder before but I was to notice to fly it and had it ripping around the neighborhood with very little control. I finally lawn darted it so hard in the back yard that the woman could here the thump in the house. I was picking dirt and grass out for days. I am in the process of building the Bloody Baron and hope to get a more controllable experience, now that I can fly with some common sense lol
last one I built I did give it more throttle on the takeoff. and lawn darted from like 1 foot hight. thought i had that problem figure out by starting off slow,,, nope.