What Did You Fly Today

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
yah it is the AIO camera that I got to see if I even wanted to do FPV, I got a better headset first.. and next is probably a better camera/VTX and am highly looking at putting in a flight controller for stabilization and a OSD [altimeter, artificial horizon, battery usage].

A big part of how jerky that was seemed to be turbulence, if I had let go of the sticks it would have probably shook right out of the sky. The flags were flapping fairly good in the wind near the park - it less then 1/3 mile from the beach and we had winds coming in off the gulf.

I was shooting gaps at the RC Airfield last weekend with the same setup (other then the headset) and I didn't have to touch the sticks much to keep it stable.

One thing that I noticed, is that with the FOV of these cameras, it is really hard to judge how high off the ground you are/how far to the side some object is. I suspect that is something that will bet better with practice.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
yah it is the AIO camera that I got to see if I even wanted to do FPV, I got a better headset first.. and next is probably a better camera/VTX and am highly looking at putting in a flight controller for stabilization and a OSD [altimeter, artificial horizon, battery usage].

A big part of how jerky that was seemed to be turbulence, if I had let go of the sticks it would have probably shook right out of the sky. The flags were flapping fairly good in the wind near the park - it less then 1/3 mile from the beach and we had winds coming in off the gulf.

I was shooting gaps at the RC Airfield last weekend with the same setup (other then the headset) and I didn't have to touch the sticks much to keep it stable.

One thing that I noticed, is that with the FOV of these cameras, it is really hard to judge how high off the ground you are/how far to the side some object is. I suspect that is something that will bet better with practice.

Take it from me mate raise your roll expo a touch you will feel much more confident when the time comes to let go of the sticks and let it do its thing knowing you can finesse your way out of a bad situation if need be and not over steer and create a different bad situation.

FOV is not the issue its the lens focal range / point. I prefer a 2.3 or 2.5 lens flying my quads as close to the ground as possible. There is less fish eye effect scrunched up on the edges of the view. Most AIOs come with 1.8 to 2.1 If I remember correctly. You wont notice this until you are about 2 feet or less off the ground. The difference just between a 2.3 and a 2.5 when looking at roughly 2 feet altitude can make it seem like 3 feet or more when in actuality you are much closer until you get down low enough for the scrunched area to spread into the more accurate viewing are of the screen.

This has a section on FOV and what the focal point does.

https://oscarliang.com/best-fpv-camera-quadcopter/#lens

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Today I managed to fly 2 planes and both did not end well. I flew my Sea Otter for the UMPTEENTH time and it was attacked from behind by a rabid Tundra.
The Otter tail boom was severed completely and the port Aileron was also attacked and severely damaged.

It is about time I let it have a rest and for me to build a new one!

The second was a 3 channel Tiny Trainer on a set of homemade FB floats. It flew OK until I tried to land it and the sea was a little choppy. Anyway the toe of the floats dug in and she flipped over. SCRATCH one ESC.

Floats need a slight revision but otherwise they worked well. Need more rudder though!

Have fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well today I feas at the field 3 different times! In the morning I took out the E-Flite extra 300 for a maiden! It flew absolutely amazing, but I learned what LVC is the hard way - turns out you loose power for a few seconds, and those couple seconds were when I was coming in to land. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to make it back to the runway and I plopped it down pretty hard on the grass, slightly bending the landing gear and breaking that gorgeous wooden prop! :cry::cry: After that I put several successful packs through the h-king ttx. I returned an hour later and flew my Carbon Cub S2. The wind had picked up and it was 15-20 mph but it handles it just fine! @"Corpse" joined me and let me rip his new 5 inch quad! It was an absolute blast, and he even took up the Carbon cub and I chanced him from the quad! It made me really want a quad... :p And then this evening I brought out the Carbon cub and 4 batteries, took it up 50 feet, and passed the controls to one of my friends who’s only flown once before. Despite the 5-10 mph winds, he did amazing, and had no problem flying it in beginner mode. For his second battery I put him in intermediate mode and I had to take the transmitter a couple times but overall he really did great! He said that he was really excited about flying, and last time he flew (buddy box on a simple scout) he had a hard time and it wasn’t too fun, so I’m glad that he’s hooked now! Oh yeah, and yesterday I flew my trusty old FT Spitfire yesterday, and the undercamber on the wingtip was kinda broken, causing it to fold up, however when the plane was inverted, gravity kept the wingtip in place! So I flew the whole pack inverted! It was fun! I even did loops and rolls but it looked so weird! :LOL:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I flew my pusher Bee and little 4ch wing today. I'm going to combine with some footage from last time I flew them and make a good edited video, probably with a small intro to each plane. The wing had a stall flying low I failed to recover from, so a small bump and busted prop, but no real damage. If it's been too long since I had a little scrape, I know I'm not challenging myself enough(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here's my video with both the Bee and the 4ch wing. I did a brief intro for each where I showed them in a bit more detail and gave a brief explanation of the features, followed by flight footage. Sorry for the fuzzy audio quality, the camera may be capable of 4k but it only cot $22. I think it's around the 5:20 mark where I go full throttle with the Bee.

Last edited:

DazDaMan

Elite member
Freshly-exercised warbirds this morning. I ran a battery through each of them while flying in the field behind my house.

Might get a bit more flying in later this morning, before I have to drive to the girlfriend's house....!

Attachments

• Warbirds5.jpg
    Warbirds5.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0

slowjo

Master member
Flew my UMX p51, Pitts and Timber all last night, had my SQ12 cam on my forehead, with the setting sun and the bad wind direction, I was flying mostly over the parking lot rather than the open field, dodging light poles, a tree jumped out of nowhere, actually i think he was hiding behind another tree :eek: bad news a crash, good news it was on film :cool:, nope just bad news, got home, inserted sd card and it read 'must be formatted', im frustrated with this little camera, some times it works other times nothing, but this was the first time, not including the original format, that it said i needed to format it, therefor deleting the videos I just took:(