What Did You Fly Today

L Edge

Master member
Today rather than build, decided to maiden the 3D plane that I built out of Dollar Store foam that I made out of 1 1/4 sheets of 30 x 20 black foam left from my F-117. Project was to see if I can build super light and will it can stand up to hot glue and perform well.

Since I can't paint, a simple design was added with package tape and off to fly. I will need to fine tune it for it hovers, flys inverted and does knife edge both ways. This is what it looks like. I am pleased with it's performance.

3d plane.jpg

So if you want to see how I kept it light in building: Will finish thread with all ways I re-enforced and kept it light.

Second plane taken was to see if "Wonder" Firebird can do knife edges. It can hover, thought of all the endplates and it should, but no luck. Took it home and found the rudder is off axis. So, will give it another shot it possible. Took 4 flights before I quit.

wonder.jpg

voyhager3

Pretty bold choosing a racer for a first flight in a year, happy to hear it went well!
It’s also the only plane in flying condition in my fleet. Because I don’t want to build anything because I’m off to college in a few months, and won’t be able to take them…

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
It’s also the only plane in flying condition in my fleet. Because I don’t want to build anything because I’m off to college in a few months, and won’t be able to take them…
I certainly found a way. I have 2 willy nillies sub 250 planes, an extreme flight 48" extra exp, and a Hangar 9 PTS mustang with .46 glow power in my dorm.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Saturday, I visited my brother and nephew on the South Coast, my sister joined us and we went to Paignton airshow, seeing some interesting performances; a Jet Pitts S2S - that's a Pitts Special with a couple of Jets on it that are used for hovering and other mad manoeuvres, a Fairey Swordfish (never thought I'd see one of those), Seafire with a Griffon engine, Spitfire Mk.V with a Hurricane in Night Fighter livery and of course, the Red Arrows and a Lancaster which are always great to see.

I stayed at my brother's so on Sunday morning, I noticed the wind wasn't too harsh and I remembered I had the Su-35 in my boot with a fully charged 2200 3S. I suggested that my Nephew might like to see it and my brother agreed, so we found a field where he could get his own private airshow. I think he was more interested this model than the real planes. I guess to a three year old, a model plane is an easier thing to see oneself getting a go on.

Screenshot_20230605_163237_Gallery.jpg

Fortunately for me, he didn't ask to have a go until after the battery ran out. 😂 I'll get him on the simulator soon enough, though!

Last edited:

MaxTheFliteFreak

Saturday, I visited my brother and nephew on the South Coast, my sister joined us and we went to Paignton airshow, seeing some interesting performances; a Jet Pitts S2S - that's a Pitts Special with a couple of Jets on it that are used for hovering and other mad manoeuvres, a Fairey Swordfish (never thought I'd see one of those), Seafire with a Griffon engine, Spitfire Mk.V with a Hurricane in Night Fighter livery and of course, the Red Arrows and a Lancaster which are always great to see.

I stayed at my brother's so on Sunday morning, I noticed the wind wasn't too harsh and I remembered I had the Su-35 in my boot with a fully charged 2200 3S. I suggested that my Nephew might like to see it and my brother agreed, so we found a field where he could get his own private airshow. I think he was more interested this model than the real planes. I guess to a three year old, a model plane is an easier thing to see oneself getting a go on.

View attachment 237989

Fortunately for me, he didn't ask to have a go until after the battery ran out. 😂 I'll get him on the simulator soon enough, though!
How big is this plane? It looks like a nice backpack plane to go biking with.

mastermalpass

Elite member
How big is this plane? It looks like a nice backpack plane to go biking with.

That photo makes it look small. It's actually 1 metre long with a 75cm wingspan. Not something you can easily duck under branches and walk overgrown paths with. I prefer to carry it in hand so I can hold it out in front of me and make sure it's not going to brush anything. But, I think a few people have scaled down RC Powers designs; they are pretty simple afterall.

Flyingshark

Master member
Very good! Looks like it handled the wind and that somewhat enclosed space pretty well. I'm assuming you had a tree overhanging you, blocking out a lot of the sky forcing you to stay low.
Thanks! You're right, the tree in the top of the frame in the video was a factor, but I also tried to stay low so I could have the option to land during a gap in the wind. Hopefully I can take it out on a less windy day and find out more about what it can do soon!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I built the FT Beech D18 a few month ago, but it was too wet outside to maiden it.

I was able to fly it today, and what a nice flying aircraft. John Overstreet's designs are often very stable, but this was remarkably so. I flew it first with a 3300 mAh 4s, and then with a 2300 mAh using the same battery position but the CG was unaffected. On twin FT Radial C pack motors, it had great vertical. The design is very fast, and handles nicely at slow speeds. If you want an excellent large aerobatic twin, this is one to build!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I built the FT Beech D18 a few month ago, but it was too wet outside to maiden it.

I was able to fly it today, and what a nice flying aircraft. John Overstreet's designs are often very stable, but this was remarkably so. I flew it first with a 3300 mAh 4s, and then with a 2300 mAh using the same battery position but the CG was unaffected. On twin FT Radial C pack motors, it had great vertical. The design is very fast, and handles nicely at slow speeds. If you want an excellent large aerobatic twin, this is one to build!

Beautiful build, well done!

CrshNBrn

Elite member

Absolutely gorgeous! Love that paint job.

mastermalpass

Elite member

Very nice! You've really complimented the design with that paint job. With all that spare power and stability, I would be cutting out the windows to fill in with acetate and sticking in lolly sticks and plywood to reinforce the canopy where necessary. I sometimes imagine making a nice big passenger plane like that and I think I would wanna model the interior as well. But then, that might mean it won't loop and roll as nicely as it does in your vid.