What do you use for pushrods?

FeWolf

Will have to get you some pics, I go through a lot of Nutball builds, use them for family and friends

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I used an umbrella that my sister trashed. Full of 1mm steel wire, about as long as I need. A bit heavy though.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ah! makes more sense now!

I use 1/16" fiberglass rods from chepo kites in the same way. A bit lighter but really tough. line it up with the edge, extreme tape down the length, then whatever covering I'd planned.

Sounds like yours would snap mine -- remind me to never play full combat with your wings ;)

rezq911

Wierdest thing I used for pushrods:

I purchased a wire wisk from the dollar store, then cut and straightened the wires. The wires are very strong and don't give much bend under pressure.

wrench797

I bought some .047 piano wire in bulk here: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/_/Navigation?term=&termca=&termpx=&sortby=webrank&sortdir=descending&searchmode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=&r=~|categoryl1:"600930 Raw Materials"|~ ~|categoryl2:"611723 Wire Products"|~ ~|attrdiameter:603260|~
It's 170 Ft of wire and cost me four bucks and some change because we (my employer) deals with this company all the time. Yes, it comes in a coil and requires some straightening to install, but for the price I couldn't beat it. I made Z bends on the control horn end with needle nose pliers and used the recomended linkage stops on the servo ends. So far so good. For longer runs, I would think some guides could be fabed up easily enough to keep it from flexing too much.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I bought some .047 piano wire in bulk here: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/_/Navigation?term=&termca=&termpx=&sortby=webrank&sortdir=descending&searchmode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=&r=~|categoryl1:"600930 Raw Materials"|~ ~|categoryl2:"611723 Wire Products"|~ ~|attrdiameter:603260|~
It's 170 Ft of wire and cost me four bucks and some change because we (my employer) deals with this company all the time. Yes, it comes in a coil and requires some straightening to install, but for the price I couldn't beat it. I made Z bends on the control horn end with needle nose pliers and used the recomended linkage stops on the servo ends. So far so good. For longer runs, I would think some guides could be fabed up easily enough to keep it from flexing too much.
Try this link:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/product...pcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=

wrench797

Thanks for the link fix xuzme.

Update: I used the same wire on a FT Flyer build and the longer length made for a MUCH more time consuming straightening process. I did use some left over coffee stirer as guide tubes on the trailing edges of the wings. Looks nice and doesn't seem to add any drag or binding to the linkage.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks for the link fix xuzme.

Update: I used the same wire on a FT Flyer build and the longer length made for a MUCH more time consuming straightening process. I did use some left over coffee stirer as guide tubes on the trailing edges of the wings. Looks nice and doesn't seem to add any drag or binding to the linkage.
No worries! Always glad to help out if I can.

I've found that coffee stirrers, or zip ties, in a strategic location can work wonders on control rod flex with zero binding.