What is a Swappable?

Bolvon72

Mentor
The swappable series has a pod that holds the motor, esc, receiver and can be removed and installed quickly in different planes. The idea is to invest once in your setup, then build a plethora of planes that run off it for just a few dollars per airframe.

This is a standard pod setup.

0307132300.jpg

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
We're friendly here and are always glad to answer noob questions.

Some people build the FT swappable planes but glue the power pod in place instead of swapping out the pod from plane to plane. I am one of those people. I don't usually have multiple planes flyable at the same time and I usually land on the nose. Which can bust up the power pod.

But a swappable is just a plane with the FT power pod. Which is meant so you can remove the pod and insert it into any of the FT swappables. Great idea, but it's not for everyone.

Bolvon72

Mentor
I had the same question about 2 weeks ago....

It was the whole swappable idea that got me into scratchbuilding. I was really budget minded about the hobby starting out and the swappable thought process spoke volumes to my cheapness. Well, that didn't last long, 3 txs, a drawer full of Rxs, escs and motors. 5 drawers packed full with an assortment of props and enough servos to build every plane FT has ever did a build video for. (That's about 70 or so) Not to mention all the little hardware pieces I just buy in case I need them. My cheapness has faded away into so much fun. I tried to do a motor count sitting bored at work one night, I lost track at 35. But to someone that isn't compulsive about their passions, it can be really cheap.