What is an AMA?

VAND3R

So I keep hearing the term AMA being tossed around in the RC community, What does an AMA license enable you to do? more importantly what can you not do without one?

Thanks.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It's not really a license, more of a national club membership bundled with liability insurance.

The national club part includes a magizine, scehduled national events and compitions, some guidlines and rules for self-policing, and some level of gov lobbying.

Ihe insurance part protects yourself and spectators and property in case a crash causes damage or injury, so long as you follow their general safety rules . . . some of which are common sense, some of which are mildly stupid.

what you can't do without it:

- Join a local chartered AMA club, or fly at most club feilds. Many club fields are open to "guest" pilots, so long as you have an active AMA membership and you ask first -- Great for flying while out on vacation.

- participate in sanctioned AMA events beyond a spectator . . . like FTFF, SEFF, Nall, NEAT, NATs, WoO, HHAEFI . . . you get the idea.

The liability point is of arguable value -- it's good insurance, but like most insurance, you likly will never need it.

The magazine is not bad . . . if you like that sort of thing.

The local clubs and events are the big draw -- there's a big social aspect to this hobby, if you don't care for it, you're not missing much . . . but are you sure you don't? Hanging out with a bunch of other pilots at one of these events, goofing off, building, then flying is an amazing experience well worth the annual fee, IMO.

Tactical Ex

I've been thinking of getting my AMA membership for the insurance aspect but I can never get a strait answer from my Google searches as to where the insurance applied. A flying field is obvious but what if I follow all the rules but mechanical failure lawn darts my plane into a parked car NOT at a flying field, is that covered?

Maybe one of you more knowledgeable on the subject can shed some light for me?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It's liability insurance. It covers property damage (really of any kind) and injury (of anyone around) up to $2M caused by your model *so long as* you were folowing the AMA safety rules, with a property damage deductable of $250, and injury of $750. It even covers theft/loss up to $1000 for $100 deductable.

Now, IIRC, it is secondary insurance -- your homeowners/auto/??? insurance and deductables pay out first, if applicable, then they pick up.

Not all the details, but some high points:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/InsuranceSummaryMembers.pdf

bacpck

I joined last week and am waiting for my card. I looked it over and the pluses of joining well outweigh any negatives IMO. The ability to fly at fields and participate in events etc. is very exciting. I am hoping to attend my first RC event of any sort at early in July. This will not be an event that I can fly at but I am excited.