• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

what simulator? should I even bother?

i'm not yet a fixed wing flyer... I'm wanting to get into it and planning to buy the 3 pack swappable kit here soon. I already have a taranis qx7.

I was wondering if a simulator is worth the cost? I dabbled with the real flight simulator setup at my local r/c shop (running v6 or so) and enjoyed it, but i'm wondering if it will really help translate to actual flying? I had no issue flying on screen... landing was another story... so would it be worth getting?

next question... which one?... realflight is high on the list as it would support my local r/c shop, Phoenix r/c is another options... and i'm not opposed to other options...

any thoughts on this?

thanks
mark

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
IMHO, since you already have a QX7 there’s no reason not to get a free or cheap sim, like rc desk pilot.

I haven’t built the traditional swappable pack, but I’d expect any of them soul “land” ok as long as you bring them down slowly.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Which did you try? Real Flight 8 or RF-X? Either way, that reset button is nice and I think it's money well spent. If you have an instructor, you can save your money if it's an issue.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Simulators are INCREDIBLY valuable. Even if you don't do anything but practice, they're worth it, just to get the muscle memory in. Plus, you can practice at any time - when it's raining, when it's snowing, at night...There's all number of reasons to fly using a sim, and best of all, when you crash, it doesn't run you $100 to replace a motor, battery, plane, servos, etc...:)

makattack

Pollen is coming
Mentor
Definitely worth downloading, installing, configuring and practicing with either a free simulator or buying a commercial one. You mentioned having trouble landing when you tried RealFlight. That's what they're great for. Practicing techniques like that until you have no trouble. That greatly lessens the chance you'll spend more money or time fixing things that break.

I didn't put an airplane up in the air until I could take off, fly a simple figure eight, then land without crashing in a simulator. That helped me with my first RC plane to get a successful maiden.

I've only tried RC Desk Pilot, since it's free and there are lots of FT models available for it, but so far it's been great. Helped me keep my real FT Flyer in the air. Plus it's fun all on its own. It's not hard to put in a few hours a week to build and hone your skills.

for landing... ya it seemed like a logical use for a sim... I only spent maybe 5 min playing at the store... my daughter was ready to get home after a long day of school so I couldn't just hang out and play :( lol... (on a side note I was excited to see they sold FT speed build kits and power kits...)

thanks for pointing out a few of the free ones... spent the last hr or so on RC desk pilot... went well once I got it all the channels setup and such... enjoyed it a lot so far... was interesting to see how the different planes flew and handled... I can also see why I'd want to change the stick sensitivity (expo right?) for certain planes in real life until I had some time to get used to it... also towards the end of the session I was getting ok at landing, and doing touch and go runs... although I do wonder how much it really translates into real world flight (which is what I always wonder about sims)

multiflight looked a lot nicer but I couldn't figure out how to setup my TX...

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
for landing... ya it seemed like a logical use for a sim... I only spent maybe 5 min playing at the store... my daughter was ready to get home after a long day of school so I couldn't just hang out and play :( lol... (on a side note I was excited to see they sold FT speed build kits and power kits...)

thanks for pointing out a few of the free ones... spent the last hr or so on RC desk pilot... went well once I got it all the channels setup and such... enjoyed it a lot so far... was interesting to see how the different planes flew and handled... I can also see why I'd want to change the stick sensitivity (expo right?) for certain planes in real life until I had some time to get used to it... also towards the end of the session I was getting ok at landing, and doing touch and go runs... although I do wonder how much it really translates into real world flight (which is what I always wonder about sims)

multiflight looked a lot nicer but I couldn't figure out how to setup my TX...
"Can't hoit"! Even if it's not 1 to 1 accuaracy, besides the muscle memory (which is important) , doing the maneuvers and learning to make the adjustments will help to make you a better pilot. Keep at it!

been playing more of RC desk pilot... i decided to dial in some dual rates and expos today... I'm amazed at how much that helped smooth out the flying (made touch and goes a sintch)... although I need to dial them back a bit on some of the planes... biggest issue I'm finding now is keeping a sense of orientation in the distance... but I usually bring it back to me without an issue lol.

Last edited:
For my RC Desk Pilot setup in my Q X7, I have triple rates set to a three-way switch: 100%, 70%, and 50% for those super squirrely models.

I was thinking about the 3 way setup... just haven't done it yet... your settings sound very reasonable as 60% seems to be too slow on some planes and fine on others... so something a bit between the two with an additional setting would be nice

also need to tweak my expos a bit...

I would love a higher end sim for more plane options... but I also know how many planes I could build for that cost haha

i'm not yet a fixed wing flyer... I'm wanting to get into it and planning to buy the 3 pack swappable kit here soon. I already have a taranis qx7.

I was wondering if a simulator is worth the cost? I dabbled with the real flight simulator setup at my local r/c shop (running v6 or so) and enjoyed it, but i'm wondering if it will really help translate to actual flying? I had no issue flying on screen... landing was another story... so would it be worth getting?

next question... which one?... realflight is high on the list as it would support my local r/c shop, Phoenix r/c is another options... and i'm not opposed to other options...

any thoughts on this?

thanks
mark

any thoughts on this?

thanks
mark
Hi Mark,
I've just seen your posting above and was wondering if you had now bought a flight simulator to use with your FrSky QX7 transmitter - and if so how do you find it?
I have just bought a QX7 and have been looking at various simulators including the Aerofly RC7, and the Phoenix. I crash much better than I fly and I reckon I could very much improve my efforts with the help of a simulator.
Thanks in advance,
Andrew.

initially I picked up a
Hi Mark,
I've just seen your posting above and was wondering if you had now bought a flight simulator to use with your FrSky QX7 transmitter - and if so how do you find it?
I have just bought a QX7 and have been looking at various simulators including the Aerofly RC7, and the Phoenix. I crash much better than I fly and I reckon I could very much improve my efforts with the help of a simulator.
Thanks in advance,
Andrew.
I sent you a PM

rfd

AMA 51668
everyone - all r/c pilots - need a good sim, and one with sim models that can be tweaked to fly as reasonably like yer real models.