What transmitter should i start with?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking that a good beginner combo could be using a FlySky FSi6 and a Lemon receiver from the links below. I hope someone could make a comment or too. This is just my thinking from reading some of the different threads.

Please make a comment or too.
Al

FDS said:
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=151
The Plus version-
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=151

Plus version is 6 axis, probably the one to get.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I havent used the lemon receivers and no idea of the range, but I can tell you the fs-ia6b has excellent range enough for short range FPV
I get a 1.5 kilometers before my failsafe kicks in.

check youtube for FS-i6 range tests, one guy gets 3km and another guy gets 5km, but hes is using best case scenario his video shows hes on a 100ft cliff over looking the ocean his TX is mounted on a tripod up high and he fly's out over the water , little to no interference in the area he chose, but regardless, its been done!

danskis

Master member
@alan0043 - AFAIK you can't use the Lemon - or Orange or any other receiver with the FlySky. FlySky has its own protocol. I believe their are others using the FlySky protocol but Lemon and Spektrum do not (they use DSMX). FlySky uses the AFHDS protocol and all the other major brands use their own protocols which are not interchangeable. The only way to get interchangeable protocols is with a multi-protocol transmitter which is either a Jumper or a Tarranis with a plug in module. If you're beginning I wouldn't suggest going down that road as they are very complex transmitters. Other than that you are right, the FlySky with the Lemon would be a killer combination if you could do it.

Reactions: FDS

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
actually you can mod the FS-i6 with a multi protocol module, several how to videos on youtube, and now that I think of it the FS-i6 can also be modded to integrate the FRSKY R9M long range module ....again... how to videos on the tube

also FS-i6 has diversity antennas in the carry handle, many of us remove the vertical antenna in the FS-i6 and mod it to accept a 9dbi antenna which really increases your range

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
The Flysky receivers with diversity are cheap and reliable. There’s also a miniature ibus only one that is good for quads.
Flysky with lemon exists, it’s just not as hackable, the Orange TX6i is almost identical in programming and mixes, its DSMX. Mine has been really good. It’s a little bit more to buy than the Flysky but you get the ability to bind to Horizon Hobby BNF and the lemon stabilised receivers included. A much better buy than the DXE or DX6E imo.

alan0043

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. To bad that the FlySky and the Lemon can't work together. I hope I understand the info from above. It's possible to use an orange transmitter with a lemon receiver or lemon with a gyro ?

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I say DX6E, and don't buy the DX6 since it has features not needed. If you choose to go FrSky, Graupner, or Futaba I'd look on threads with them.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's not needed - it really depends on the pilot. Dx6 has voice alerts - for example, it will yell out, "30 seconds remaining" as an alarm instead of just beeping. That might be a big thing to have for some. But the biggest thing going in my mind for the DX6 vs the DX6e is the diversity antennas - DX6 has it, DX6e doesn't. That translates into a more reliable signal.

danskis

Master member
@Aireal Anarchist - that's good to know about the multi module as I have one coming in the mail eventually. I also have a lemon gyro receiver that after reading the fine print says it may not work with a multi-protocol transmitter (my Jumper). Which it hasn't yet - I need to play with it some more, though. As for the hack its probably not something the OP wants to do just starting out.

sprzout

Mentor

danskis

Master member
To help out the OP I'd say this. Definitely consider the Orange TX. While a little bit more $ initially it gives you more options than the FlySky because you can use the Lemon and Orange line of receivers which are cheaper than the FlySky. Also Lemon and Orange give you more options including gyro and vario (for gliders) receivers. That scroll wheel is a problem in that it may eventually break but it can be fixed relatively easily. I might sell everything and buy an Orange.

Bricks

Master member
I wouldn't necessarily say it's not needed - it really depends on the pilot. Dx6 has voice alerts - for example, it will yell out, "30 seconds remaining" as an alarm instead of just beeping. That might be a big thing to have for some. But the biggest thing going in my mind for the DX6 vs the DX6e is the diversity antennas - DX6 has it, DX6e doesn't. That translates into a more reliable signal.

After having voice call outs for switches such as flaps up, flaps down, landing gear down, low rates, high rates, throttle cut on I could not or would not go back to anything without voice call outs.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Mo matter what no Flysky. Mine didn't work outnof the box, and the troubleshooting cost in receivers was more than the radio. Plus, when I tried return it they stalled until the return date passed and finally answered saying it was too late after purchase 😡😡😡 That was a hundred dollars wasted, and a lot of time too.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Mo matter what no Flysky. Mine didn't work outnof the box, and the troubleshooting cost in receivers was more than the radio. Plus, when I tried return it they stalled until the return date passed and finally answered saying it was too late after purchase 😡😡😡 That was a hundred dollars wasted, and a lot of time too.
Your experience was seriously unfortunate! At my local club I was the first to purchase the FLySky in a club full of Spektrum. I have never had an issue and I now own 2 and am looking to buy a third. A number of other members now also sport FlySky and the number of failures so far has been zero.

At the same time the same cannot be said for the Spektrum users. One of my students even managed to get the top Spektrum/DSMX Nazi to test fly his setup on his FlySky and it flew well beyond the range the person would do with his radio. I suspect he was trying to find a LOS condition but it flew to the field limits without a single issue. Later the same person tried the same boundary patrol with one of his planes and it ended up crashing into powerlines.

Spektrum radios do fail and so do every other brand of radio, (including FlySky). Where you purchased your radio from seems to be the real source of your problem and should be the target of your anger. FlySky radios are not perfect but they do offer very good performance for the price.

I also have a Spektrum DX6 G3 on order but have to wait a few years for the model to be released here, (I buy form where I can get a proper support network and hence proper warranty. In the past i have had direct communication with the FlySky factory, (in relation to a next generation product design), whereas trying to get the same level of communication in relation to Spektrum is very difficult to impossible.

We all go from experience both good and bad. I wish you had experienced the true value of the radio but then that is something I cannot change.

Keep flyin' and havin' fun!

FDS

Elite member
@Bricks My voice alerts are really handy. Especially in FPV, I didn’t think they would be that useful but for settings information without looking at the TX and as a warning if you accidentally trip a switch they are great.
There‘s lots of good opinion and experiences in this thread, I think TX choice is one of the most personal things in the hobby.
OP, if you can get hands on with your preferred choices, try to do that, as hand feel is pretty important.
Also consider buying from a proper hobby retailer, who has good customer service and after sales. Its better than some random web seller.

sprzout

Mentor
After having voice call outs for switches such as flaps up, flaps down, landing gear down, low rates, high rates, throttle cut on I could not or would not go back to anything without voice call outs.

Same here. Knowing you have "1 minute remaining" vs a beep that requires you to look at the timer to see, which means taking your eyes off of the aircraft when you're flying LOS, or lifting your headset when you're flying under goggles? That makes me nervous.

Regardless of which TX brand, if it didn't have voice alerts, I wouldn't look at it.

Oh, and as FDS said, ergonomics are a MUST for me.

I picked up the FrSky X-Lite at the AMA Expo West last year to see what it was like. It was uncomfortable in my hands, and the game controller feel felt extremely unnatural. I've always felt more at ease with the box style RC transmitters; it's what I'd started on with the old Tyco RC cars, and even when I moved up to the Tamiya Frog and Falcon, I'd used that style. It's what I was used to. The FrSky X-Lite just didn't sit right - but one of the kids at our field absolutely loves it because it feels like an Xbox controller to him. That's really a personal thing, but it makes all the difference when you're flying and have to reach that switch for a different flight mode, or kick in to different rates, or hit the throttle kill.

The Fopster

Master member
To help out the OP I'd say this. Definitely consider the Orange TX. While a little bit more $ initially it gives you more options than the FlySky because you can use the Lemon and Orange line of receivers which are cheaper than the FlySky. Also Lemon and Orange give you more options including gyro and vario (for gliders) receivers. That scroll wheel is a problem in that it may eventually break but it can be fixed relatively easily. I might sell everything and buy an Orange.
I bought an Orange TX6i after failing to get on with programming a DXe. It's been great for me - easy to program and plenty of functionality for my simple needs. Have never even needed to look at the manual. Haven't tried FlySky but I wanted easy compatibility with BNF planes and it's been faultless so far. Good luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: FDS

CustomRCMods

Elite member
If you are looking into computerized vs non computerized cheapo rtf systems, here's a video I just made with some head to head flight testing:
I definitely think that computer radio systems will give you the best overall beginner experience, even though they are much more expensive. Its worth thinking about.