What's in YOUR workshop?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

So, I decided to clean up the workshop a little, and thought a quick video tour was in order.

Before you say anything, yes, I know it still needs more cleaning.

What does your hobby area look like?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
What image?

;)

(Yes, wrong link. I corrected it with a link to the youtube video above.)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
My what? I don't understand what a workshop is.

I get the pleasure of breaking down the dinning room table, setting up shop, and then putting everything back when I'm done. Every. Time. I. Do. Anything.

I'm convinced my design cycles would increase 1,000 fold if I had a dedicated space.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
In my workshop are a couple of sofas, a TV, a fan, a coffee table... sorry, forgot to mention, my workshop is my living room!!

taswas

Two Grandkids, Two Dogs and various items of furniture. The vases and placemats get in the way and make life difficult.

Down in the workshop are the tools which includes Metal lathe, mini Jig borer, laser cutter and drum sander and 14" bandsaw and belt sander. Loads of other hand tools that are never where they should be.

Last edited:

defhermit

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and build my planes on my table that ordinarily serves as my computer desk. I just push the monitors all the way to the back edge of the table and move the keyboards and mice underneath. All gluing is done on that surface, JUST big enough to do my wing folds, etc. Until I start building my guinea pig next week, anyway. All foam cutting is done on the floor on top of the last cardboard box from hobby king.

Now that I'm not crashing as much I'm suddenly running out of room. I needed to start storing planes that I'm not currently flying in the apartment's small locked storage area in the laundry-room area.

I realize no one cares, I'm just bored at work thinking about planes.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Of table top workspaces

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and build my planes on my table that ordinarily serves as my computer desk. I just push the monitors all the way to the back edge of the table and move the keyboards and mice underneath. All gluing is done on that surface, JUST big enough to do my wing folds, etc. Until I start building my guinea pig next week, anyway. All foam cutting is done on the floor on top of the last cardboard box from hobby king.

Now that I'm not crashing as much I'm suddenly running out of room. I needed to start storing planes that I'm not currently flying in the apartment's small locked storage area in the laundry-room area.

I realize no one cares, I'm just bored at work thinking about planes.

Table tops for work areas may be the best thing - you have to be more organized. Straight edges, tape, blades - nice to keep it simple. However, I take a bit of room up with my building area - in the cellar, one table for foamies and cutting balsa, and one for balsa construction.

FT foamies don't really take up much space, including parts storage.
However for balsa building, I have another wing/fuse building table, and a table with a mini table saw & a jigsaw. I have a floor-model band saw - a behemoth compared to what I really need just for model planes. But I make engine test stands and fixtures, etc out of "real wood," too. That's when that band saw helps.

For engine break-in and testing I have a Black and Decker Work Mate - indispensable to bring outdoors and quickly mount the engine on a test stand.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I happen to have my "lab" on the landing up on our second floor that we dont use much so i can leave a huge mess and my wife doesnt have to see it. Down side is the ceiling follows the pitched roof so i cant hang planes very easy. I think one of my favorite things i have purchased is about 4 of the magnetic tool mounts from harbor freight. They are the best. Also a nice big metal putty scraper to get the glue off my counter top after each project.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
My workshop is rather scattered.

Like nerdnic and so many others the dining room table is my primary work surface. Though thankfully I don't have to clear it off when I'm done. I did for awhile...but it just collected junk that I then had to clear away to be able to work. Leaving my gear setup at least the table doesn't accumulate junk anymore :D

But it's a tiny dining room and a small table. So for working with 20x30 sheets of foamboard I have to take over the kitchen counter. Which means a lot of cleaning to make room since all the junk that no longer collects on the dining room table now tends to collect on the kitchen counter :D And means I have to finish what I'm doing and clean my stuff off before the next meal...or pay for us to eat out. Honestly this is the #1 reason I haven't been building many planes lately. Mini multirotors fit a lot easier on my dining room table :)

But my actual workspace extends further. My back room is where my planes and multis are stored, and where my main computer is as well as boxes of parts.

But wait, there's more! My main "workshop" is actually outside. I have a freestanding 10'x10' office in our backyard from when I worked from home - now it's mostly hobby storage but I'm hoping to get it cleaned up this winter. My table saw, band saw, jointer and other large tools are stored outside under the shade over our outside kitchen (nice thing about living in AZ...can't use it all much in the summer but it stays dry!) my hand tools are stored in our RV but some live in my office and others live in one of my two sheds.

I guess that other than the bedrooms just about my entire house/property serves as some part of my "workshop" :D Thankfully my wife is very supportive and enjoys most of my projects!

DharanFlyer

I bounce back and forth between the coffee table where I can hang out with my son while I work, my basement hobby table that is either being used to build R/C planes or model boats, or if it is nice and cool on my work bench in the garage.

Still newer to the hobby so I don't have a lot of extra parts laying about, yet. Have to split my hobby budget between my three main things so it is growing slowly.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
you guys inspired me im going to clean the junkyard i call my room to make it more of a workshop
thanks everyone;)

wire10ga

Using a spare bedroom for my setup.... I love my Wife :).... Workbench is an interior door on saw horses.
IMG_6387.JPG IMG_6386.JPG IMG_6385.JPG

Team_Monkey

I had desks in a corner of the basement for many years but when we did an addition a couple years ago it wasn't much more to go full excavation in lieu of a crawl space. So we made the basement bigger too and I got the whole thing as a shop. :)