What's the best way to transfer your plans from paper to your foamboard

baronbernie

Using masking tape can be used but will tare the paper and plans. Use the blue painters tape instead as it comes off without peeling the paper off or ruining the planes.

Todd L

If you have access to a vinyl cutter that can use a pen attachment you can plot out the plans on poster board, cut them out a trace as many as you want :D 20130904_150314.jpg 20130904_150329.jpg 20130904_150333.jpg 20130904_150922.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Oh snap! I forgot all about the pen attachment...Mine is plenty large enough to do poster board! Thanks for this awesome idea!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I do need to do some testing first but that will have to wait for another day. I'll also have to either rearrange the parts or just tape 2 pieces of posterboard together to get the A1 size as some of the full size plans are formatted to. I will keep you posted as I am excited about this and will be working on it as soon as I can!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you machine can take the thickness, mat board is available all over in REALLY large sizes. (then again, could it handle a 5mm peice of foam board . . . )

Again, mat board is a bear to cut, but a pleasure to use. Wrecked a Bloody wonder wing this evening with a bad glue job. The worst I'm out is a dollar for the wing. Time wise, it only cost me a few minutes.

Todd L

What I did is I took the PDF into CAD and took care of a few things like lines that don't join, add my own labels and notes, stuff like that. I only plot one wing half as the other matches (duh).. Then convert the DWG to what ever file format your software can import. To ensure proper scaling I put a scaling reference on the drawing to keep everything in check. I use dollar store poster board, nothing fancy. Press play and watch the magic happen :D ... I just got the FT Racer templates plotted and ready to be cut out tomorrow.... Can't wait to get the Racer in the air.

Wes Vasher

I model mine in 3D and then simply transfer the points using a ruler. Never a need to print anything out. It can be tedius but I know it's perfectly accurate.

Michael9865

Elite member
"Thanks Todd! Now Xuzme can print out plans for all of us "

I like Craftydan's idea! Wonder what the shipping and handling fee would be... :) :rolleyes:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That depends on whether you can deal with folds or if they would have to be rolled! lol
I did get some plotter paper and the initial tests went well. But some of the pdf's seem to have corruptions in them that the plotter does not like. I'm going to see what I can do to fix that but shipping the prints might be cost prohibitive, unless your local place is charging over $10 a print...
I don't mind helping out fellow pilots but it takes time to make them right. I can't print them for free...I can probably do them cheaper than most places when it's all said and done, but again, shipping is going to be the issue.

Michael9865

Elite member
That depends on whether you can deal with folds or if they would have to be rolled! lol
I did get some plotter paper and the initial tests went well. But some of the pdf's seem to have corruptions in them that the plotter does not like. I'm going to see what I can do to fix that but shipping the prints might be cost prohibitive, unless your local place is charging over $10 a print...
I don't mind helping out fellow pilots but it takes time to make them right. I can't print them for free...I can probably do them cheaper than most places when it's all said and done, but again, shipping is going to be the issue.

Totally understandable. Staples or Office Depot is the more cost effective for me. :)

Moetop

I don't know if anyone has tried it yet, but I am going to try a sewing tracing wheel. It is basically a spiky wheel that will poke little holes through the paper and into the foam. You can then connect the dots. There are a few models of these tracing wheels and I would look for one that has the smallest and sharpest points, so you don't have to press hard and don't deform the foam board.

Just wondering what your methods are for getting the plans from paper to your foamboard? Have you tried different methods? what worked, what was horrible?

0334-4003.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If I'm not mistaken, those wheels are designed to be used in conjunction with a pounce pad or chalk bag. Trace with the wheel to get holes in the plan then pat the outline with the pounce pad after you put the plan over the foamboard. That will leave behind your outline without deforming the foamboard, plus you'll only have to trace once and can use the plan over and over. You can probably make a pounce pad by putting marking chalk into an old sock. Make different color pads and you can make the fold lines and score lines different colors than the outlines.

Moetop

Yes that is how they are used in sewing. I was thinking since they are meant to poke through the paper to create holes for the dust in the pounce pad, it would do it to the paper of the pattern as well as the foam board (a sharp one). I am hoping the powder would not even be necessary with a sharp pointed tracing wheel.

If I'm not mistaken, those wheels are designed to be used in conjunction with a pounce pad or chalk bag. Trace with the wheel to get holes in the plan then pat the outline with the pounce pad after you put the plan over the foamboard. That will leave behind your outline without deforming the foamboard, plus you'll only have to trace once and can use the plan over and over. You can probably make a pounce pad by putting marking chalk into an old sock. Make different color pads and you can make the fold lines and score lines different colors than the outlines.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes that is how they are used in sewing. I was thinking since they are meant to poke through the paper to create holes for the dust in the pounce pad, it would do it to the paper of the pattern as well as the foam board (a sharp one). I am hoping the powder would not even be necessary with a sharp pointed tracing wheel.
Either way should work. I'm sure you'll be able to see the perforations with no trouble.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I've been using the poke method. It might be a little tedious, but I don't mind. I get to make meaningful dots to mark certain intersections or whatever is suitable at the time. I've been using an old etching needle that I've had sitting around for years. The masking tape grip is 20 years old, no lie.

Poke through the plans - reusable, too.

wAFgo0V.png

Reveal your poked foam!

gV6aluE.png

Flip to reverse a shape: the other wing, for instance and poke the same dots.

o4NsoyG.png

For those talking about using thinner to transfer copier toner, there is actually a method using a citrus cleanser that is very effective and nontoxic. I've never tried used it to transfer onto foamboard or balsa, but its called Citra-Solv. The active ingredient is orange oil, so it smells delicious and is entirely nontoxic. It is reported to work well with toner copies and I'm pretty sure it even works with inkjet, too. If anyone tries it, let me know. Here's a link to their transfer techniques. Yes it is a cleanser, but they've embraced use of it by artists. http://www.citrasolv.com/art/index.html

Last edited:

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
I don't know if anyone has tried it yet, but I am going to try a sewing tracing wheel....

View attachment 14605

If you laid tape down first, then ran the tracing wheel, could you use a marker or paint pen rather than chalk to make dotted lines? i cut with a metal yard stick and cut through the plans perimeter. when I'm done the plans are cut out too.

Justin