What's Your Channel Order?

SteevyT

I'm not entirely sure what the standard is for channel order, I'm not sure if there actually is a standard. So here's a thread to compare what channel orders you use. (List all channels that you use)

For me:

4 channel planes:
1/2: rudder/elevator (often switched and not consistent from plane to plane)
3: throttle
4/5: right/left aileron (again, often switched and not consistent from plane to plane)
(sometimes throw a knob in for flaperons, or on my FT3D I have a switch to mix the elevator into the ailerons to make spoilerons/flaperons depending on what the switch is doing)

3 channel elevons:
1/2: elevons (again, no set order for right/left)
3: throttle

So in my case, I really don't follow a standard aside from throttle on channel three. And the order often gets switched around every time I pull the receiver out.

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
There really is no such thing as a standard, like Spektrum have one order, Futaba have another order... Multiplex have whatever order you decide on that particular day:D

Me, depends what radio I'm using, and in the case of the MPX, depends how small a receiver I'm using it with.

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
This hobby has rules? Since when? But seriously just do whatever you're comfortable with.

I fly Mode 1 but I spent the majority of the winter flying Mode 2 on the simulator. I was too cheap to buy a new Tx, so I re-learned Mode 1. Technically I fly Mode 3 with my 4 channel planes and Mode 1 for my 3 channel RET planes.

showatt.php

The other day I crashed a plane right after hand launch because I got my elevator and throttle confused. Oops. I need to fly my Mode 1 Tx some more.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
AETR on Everything.

Thurmond

Sounds like a Futaba guy:D

This will probably confuse you... My classic Escuela motorglider has throttle on ch1, rudder on ch4 and elevator on ch6. Reason being I am using a classic MPX receiver with their oldschool MPX prioritary servo connectors, similar to the classic Futaba ones. I only had 2 connectors of that type, one of which was a 3 pin one, which I used on the throttle ESC. The other was a 4 pin dual channel one, so I turned it into a dual channel to twin Futaba standard adapter. But it would only work of course on a dual channel port, which is channels 4/6 or 5/7, so I just used it on the prior one.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Taer, rate, aetr, aet aux1 r, you name it! Oh and eta for flysky ground receivers that I use for slow sticks and such.

robschonk

Different brands have different defaults.

The Taranis lets you select any order you want when you set up the radio, but it doesn't matter because you can reassign them when you set up the model

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Sounds like a Futaba guy:D

Only because I did not know better a few years ago. Got a smoking deal on a Futaba 7C not realizing that receivers were $70ea. :mad:
Now I mainly use my heavily modified 9X and my Taranis.

Thurmond

engineer

Well, being new to the hobby, I got what i could for cheap with room to grow and mess around, so I'm running an 8ch FrSky 2.4 ACCST on a 9XR, but there never were any instructions for the channel order, specifically, for the throttle, since that's where it gets power from the BEC.

I've been running Throttle on 1 always, and whatever else i feel like.. usually e then a then r.
Is ch1 throttle bad for the Rx? I don't know how the guts are set up, would it work better if i used ch3, which seems to be "standard"?

SteevyT

I've been running Throttle on 1 always, and whatever else i feel like.. usually e then a then r.
Is ch1 throttle bad for the Rx? I don't know how the guts are set up, would it work better if i used ch3, which seems to be "standard"?

It really doesn't care where the power comes from. All the positive pins are tied together like the negative pins. I honestly have no clue why I started putting throttle on 3. I think my first transmitter had it on 1. (or whatever JR does with theirs)

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Ummm... Futaba 7C uses FASST coding, and the Orange and FrSky FASST receivers cost nowhere near $70!

The Futaba AETR order is the most used by oldschooll pilots as it's probably the original order, and even with free channel assignation it's used by those pilots because they can identify a connector origen at a glance without lables, following leads, etc. I got used to the AETR order myself because of Futaba, and even with my MPX which like the Taranis is completely custom configurable, I still tend to use the Futaba order out of habit, unless I have a special application like with my T-45, with independent ailerons/flaperons, elevator ant throttle on a 4 channel receiver, but even then the first three still follow the AET order from habit hehehe

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Ummm... Futaba 7C uses FASST coding, and the Orange and FrSky FASST receivers cost nowhere near $70!

Correct BUT no FASST receivers but Futaba existed when I got the radio. It was at least 6 months before they hit the market.
Now I have several, but at the time for about the cost of 1 genuine Futaba receiver I got my entire Turnigy 9X and several receivers with it to boot.

Thurmond

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
well... I guess the upside is now you have a good radio too for long range applications, although the ACCST protocol is probably the second best to FASST anyway, way superior to any of the others out there