Which glider is a better pick for a beginer?

The Flying Tuba

So the other day i came across the flite test channel on youtube. It inspired me to get back into the hobby. However, i donot want to get back into motor driven planes. I had a couple of old glider kits in my closet(VERY old). One was an Olympic 650 and the other was a balsa wood bird of time. As a begginer i dont know wich would be better for learning. Could yall help me figure this out?

The Flying Tuba

IMG_1232.JPG

The Flying Tuba

Also, on a small side note, i have those two radios. The one on the left is a Fubuta T6XA s computer radio, and the one on the right is a Fubuta T8UAP s. I dont know which to use. Theres a cord here for buddy box flying.

The last question(hopefuly) is where can i get servos, and whay type should i get.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Oh my do these take me back. :)

Be careful. Someone might try to fight you for that Bird of Time. :D

I got out in 1987 (joined the Army) and got back in 2012. Things are MUCH different today. Battery power makes motors cheap and simple and light. I get the glider thing (72" Wanderer in 1985), but motor driven foamies are cheap, simple and MUCH easier to repair.

Here is the deal. Those planes are gorgeous. Absolutely build and fly them. But when (and this is a given) you crash, the repair will take much more time than if you crash a simple foam plane. A simple foamie will take you 2-4 hours to build. You fix it at the field with packing tape when you crash. Learn this way. It is much more fun.

When you have re-learned to fly on a cheap foamie basher, then build these.

And please, please post photos of your build.

This is from a childhood friend of mine. We reconnected after 25 years due to this hobby. This is his.
IMG_3596 (1).JPG

EDIT:
After reading earthsciteach's post, I see Tower Hobbies sells the BOT for $90. The FT Explorer is $40, the FT Mighty Mini Trainer is $25, and the FT Simple Soarer is $33. Any of these will take far less time to build and repair.
These are hard to beat for a beginner. :)

Last edited:

earthsciteach

I would go with the Bird of Time. That plane has a great reputation. I don't know anything about the other one. Between the two radios, I would go with the computer radio. Its nice to be able to program mixes. You may not need a computer radio for the BoT, but why not make yourself learn it?

Great Planes (who now sells new BoT kits) recommends Futaba S3004 standard servos.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVW07

I love the old, wooden sailplanes!

The Flying Tuba

I also have a 12ft glider my dad built. We used to tow it up with a Telemaster. He has since gotten out of the hobbie and doesent want to start again. I think its a D800, but i cant be sure. The fuselage looks to be a balsa structure, with a fiberglass coating. The wings and elevator(s) are covered in monocoat. The rudder is a mess. The hinges pulled out and the glass is seperating from the wood, so overall its a fixer-upper.
I want to get into small or mid sized gliders bc, i drive 64 beetle and thats about all it can fit.

i used to have Real flight. I used to liveon that simulator. I love it. Thats why i wanted to jump right into flying. You have a good point though. I will look into a mini trainer 3ch glider.
Edit: The other reason for gliders is, they are quiet.

Last edited:

The Flying Tuba

Most of my questions are about building. I THINK i can still fly. I was very little when we got out of the hobby. I was able to fly but i had the attention span of a puppy lol. I never stayed to watch my dad build(he did all of the building).

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums!

You've got a couple of beautiful kits there, but I'd have to agree with the recommendation to get an easy foamy like the FT Simple Soarer or a Radian to get back into flying before putting one of those up in the air.

But there's no need to wait to start building that BoT :)

earthsciteach

If you are considering a foam sailplane go with the Radian. In fact, even if you aren't considering a foam sailplane, buy a Radian anyway! It is one of the loveliest, forgiving, and tough planes out there. Ignore the Radian Pro. It was a flop. You can find them used from time to time for around $50.

The Flying Tuba

Just rememberd. Taking off is easy enough, landing... not so much.
Next questions,
RECOMMENDED MOTOR: 24g, 1300 kv minimum
RECOMMENDED PROP: 9 x 4.7 prop
RECOMMENDED ESC: 10 - 18 amp
RECOMMENDED BATTERY: 500 mAH 3s
RECOMMENDED SERVOS: (2 - 3) 9 gram servos

Does the simple soarer need the motor or can it be launched by hand? Will its stay afloat long enough to practice landing without the motor? What is the "power pack" option?
Once i have the plane, where do i fly?

I have a couple fields near my house that we used to fly at but i dont know if we are allowed to go there anymore.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

The Simple Soarer can be launched by hand, but it will be back on the ground pretty quickly. If you are using it just to get the muscle memory back, it will be fine. However, I was not very happy with it as a sailplane. Performance is not so good.

The Flying Tuba

Ill save up some money for that one. The dihedral ought to help keep it upright. The motor will help keep it in the air as i learn.
Are there any others yall can recommend?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Is there a difference between a sailplane and a glider?

The difference between a sailplane and a glider is the attitude . . . of the pilot.

A glider is launched to altitude and the pilot glides it back down. A sailplane is launched to altitude and it stays up untill the pilot decides to come down.

Naturally, a sailplane pilot can switch to being a glider pilot in an instant by luck or mistakes (the plane pops out of lift into sink, and comes down early), but both luck and mistakes are shaped by the pilot's growing skill. Everyone starts out as a glider pilot in skill . . . But it's never too early to approach this sport with the sailplane pilot's attitude ;)

The Flying Tuba

Ahhh that makes sense. If i could fix my dads old DG-800 it would probably climb on its own. The thing is gigantic when its assembled.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Nice! Any idea of the scale (wingspan)? Scale sailplanes are somewhat rare and a special nitch -- being able to slim and remove the cockpit area for electronics and ballast makes for more efficient birds, but the scale lines of a real cockpit can be worth that loss :)

The low wingloading from the bigger area has it's benefits, but floatier airframes don't generally handle the wind as well. On a calm day they can float on just about anything, but most will get blown downwind on a windy day and can't press back to the flying field without loosing a lot of altitude in the exchange.

Both your BoT and Oly 650 were on the heavier side for their day (the Oly 650 was a clipped-wing version of the Oly II, which was a nice floater, but the 650 had about 2/3 the area so it flew a lot heavier), but both had good airfoils to take advantage of it. The BoT is in the 3m class (long wing), and the Oly 650 is in the 2m class. Both benefit from adding spoilers to shorten the landing, but it's almost necessary on the BoT. Either build simply and both take well to electrification (adding an electric motor and prop to the front for launching). They'll both need to stay in lift to stay aloft (that's true of every sailplane -- if it isn't in lift, it's falling) but they can run through sink faster to get to the next patch of lift . . .

. . . but for now, that's stuff to file away. learning to put your plane where you want it is what a trainer airframe will teach you. How to safely launch, maintain orientation, fight the wind and land safely is first. Knowing where to put your airframe to stay in lift, how long to stay, when to go and how to find the next bit of nice air is the hard part ;)

If you're running short on cash and in the US, seriously look at either the powered version of the FT Simple Soarer or the Experimental Airlines Photon. Neither are stellar airframes, but they're both capable of thermalling, friendly to fly and they're cheap and easy to build -- assuming you have access to inexpensive foamboard for wings and airframe. The motor on them should still be used mostly for launch, but a short burst should get you to a reasonable altitude to fly around on -- I agree with Teach, towing and high-starts with these would be disappointing after the first few launches.

A Radian is a nice airframe -- if you can get a used one cheap, it's hard to beat -- but for the purpose of training you could build the FTSS or Photon for 1/3 of a "new" Radian -- $20 for motor/ESC/prop, 2-4x$3 servos, and 3-4 sheets of foamboard, with the radio gear you already have. Only thing you might want to splurge on is a decent battery with a nice charger ($30 for the charger, $5-10 for each battery). I recommend this path more because if you build it, you can always re-build it. You will crash, so making the repairs cheap and easy is the best way to reduce your bench time and increase your flight time.