• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which Goop?

Hi,

Just about to build prototype in expanded polystyrene her in the UK.

I keep reading about ‘Goop’ but it is not generally available here but I can get it via eBay.

It turns out that.there are lots of varieties: automotive, garden, plumbing etc.

Which one do folk use for setting in reinforcing rods, fixing motor mounts etc?

Cheers
Steve

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Mentor
Hey Stevesteve, welcome to the forum!

Dunno about goop. Its OK, but not a fan of the stuff myself. For model building, I actually prefer something we can't get over here easily but you should -- Uhu-Por. Just the regular stuff that comes in the metalized toothpaste tube.

Has a bit of a stink to it (probably why it's no longer imported) but it's foam safe, spreads fairly thin, fairly strong, sets to rubbery, and sets in about 10-20 min (good field repair glue).

EPS, huh? Build with what you have, I suppose, but it's also usually my last choice for foam. It can make a decent airframe, but it's hard to work with, and shatters to snow. If you've got the gear, I recommend cutting and shaping with heat tools ( hot wire, hot knife) as the melted edges form reasonably well, but the cut surfaces can turn to confetti. Personally, I'd lean more towards depron or XPS for a foam scratch build (DTFB is alike a low grade of depron, covered in paper), but no idea what you can get to easily in the UK to recommend. In the end, use what you got . . .

. . . And post a few pics here of her when you've built her out ;)

I couldn’t find the blue or pink foam boards in any of the DIY sheds near me. As it is a prototype and I haven’t cut foam wings for decades it is a cheap and cheerful way of getting it done. They will be a bit brittle though and I may try some fibreglass rods to strengthen it. Everyone seems to talk about ‘Goop’ but which variety?

Having said that, UHU Por seems like a good call and is readily available in the UK which is an easy option for me!

I will post pics when I have some wings... I will have loads of questions I’m sure!

Cheers
Steve