Which size propellers to buy for swappables? / Versa Wing?

snuffy

I'm a newbie looking for my first handful of props of various sizes (to test with a watt-meter) for the Swappable Trainer and an FT Versa Wing, both with an NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w motor and 3 cell 2200 battery:

I've been looking here: Hardware & Accessories > Propellers

...but am unsure of what to purchase, there doesn't seem to be an easy way of choosing from the different types/brands.

I assume that I should be looking for an 'electric' prop?, and the 'Slow Fly (SF)' type? with the bushing adapters that come with the prop.

What about the 'Thin style' ones? or are they for multi-rotor copters?

What are popular props, and sizes? I can see so many different size and pitch options from 5 inches to 12 or more.

Could you suggest a good range of 5 or so to try? I was thinking a 7, 8, 9, 10, with maybe a 4 or 5 pitch? Would that make sense? Should I be looking to get several of the same diameter but with different pitches? I know the official Versa Wing uses an 8x4 so will make sure I have one of those in the shopping cart.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Cheers,
Tim.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I have used 8x6 props on all of my builds so far. On my first trainer (FT Bloody Wonder), I started with an 8x4 GWS style prop. It was great for learning, as it provided a nice balance between thrust and speed (not too fast, but enough thrust to pull me out of a potentially bad situation). Then one day, I tried an 8x6 prop, and was amazed by the increase in performance. As a new pilot, I broke quite a few props, so the GWS style props are good, because they are so cheap (you can find them on Ebay; five 8x6 props for ~$2.30 with free shipping from China). I still find myself using them more than any other type of prop, because on landings where the prop impacts the ground, they will break before bending my motor shaft (I have had that happen with some of the more rigid props). As you become more experienced, you can invest in nicer/more expensive props. Keep in mind that your results may be different from mine. I fly in a high altitude location, so I have a little more wiggle room on how big a prop I can use on a given size motor, than someone who flies near sea level. The important thing to note is; make sure you motor is capable of turning the prop you select, without exceeding its current limit. The 8" range is a good starting point, but try different sizes, and see which one you like best.

Last edited:

snuffy

I’ve have used 8x6 props on all of my builds so far. On my first trainer (FT Bloody Wonder), I started with an 8x4 GWS style prop. It was great for learning, as it provided a nice balance between thrust and speed (not too fast, but enough thrust to pull me out of a potentially bad situation). Then one day, I tried an 8x6 prop, and was amazed by the increase in performance. As a new pilot, I broke quite a few props, so the GWS style props are good, because they are so cheap (you can find them on Ebay; five 8x6 props for ~$2.30 with free shipping from China). I still find myself using them more than any other type of prop, because on landings where the prop impacts the ground, they will break before bending my motor shaft (I have had that happen with some of the more rigid props). As you become more experienced, you can invest in nicer/more expensive props. Keep in mind that your results may be different from mine. I fly in a high altitude location, so I have a little more wiggle room on how big a prop I can use on a given size motor, than someone who flies near sea level. The important thing to note is; make sure you motor is capable of turning the prop you select, without exceeding its current limit. The 8" range is a good starting point, buy try differnt sizes, and see which one you like best.

Thanks Jaxx,

I have just had first flight on my Versa Wing with a 3 cell, 1200kv and 8x4; it wasn't enough, so am going to get some 8x6's as you have advised.

Last edited:

Flynn

I totally agree with Jaxx. I use the 8x4 to start with and go from there. Anytime I build a FT plane I haven't tried before, I start with that. I'm still a new pilot, I've found 8x6 works good if not better.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Snuffy,

Glad I could help. What configuration (tractor or pusher) are you using on your Versa Wing? I have not built this plane yet, but I believe the configuration is an important factor to consider when determining the required prop. The recommended prop on the FT Store page for the pusher configuration is 8X6. Your first post mention the NTM 28-26 1200kv, but you said you tried the 8X4 with an 1100kv motor. What motor did you use? An 8X6 prop and the NTM 28-26 1200kv you originally discussed should work well with this plane regardless of the configuration.

snuffy

Sorry Jaxx, you're correct, it is a 1200kv, my mistake. I'll correct the previous post. I also have a 1400kv for another build and I was looking at an 1100kv so think that's where I got confused.

Ahh, so I had missed the 8x6 config on the FT store. Have purchased a couple of 8x6 props on ebay yesterday on your advice. It is indeed a pusher.

My Versa Wing Build photos and Video of first flight, as promised.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Sorry Jaxx, you're correct, it is a 1200kv, my mistake. I'll correct the previous post. I also have a 1400kv for another build and I was looking at an 1100kv so think that's where I got confused.

Ahh, so I had missed the 8x6 config on the FT store. Have purchased a couple of 8x6 props on ebay yesterday on your advice. It is indeed a pusher.

My Versa Wing Build photos and Video of first flight, as promised.

I just watched the video. I think you did an excellent job for your first few flights, especially considering the fact the Versa Wing is not a your typical trainer. I am confident you will see an improvement with the 8X6 prop, but keep in mind, it will be faster with this prop. I could be wrong, but I believe this airframe requires a bit more speed (in the pusher configuration) than the typical trainer. Now, I'm itching to build it.:)

snuffy

And I thought it was fast as it was! I tried going slower but it lost stability, especially when gusts came along. With more speed it will be great, I'll dial down the throws. I'm gonna need to find a bigger field though, and wear my glasses next time; the damn thing kept disappearing :)

Next video will be of the trainer; we'll see how that goes. I should have flown that one first, but I couldn't resist the Versa Wing's attraction.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It is indeed a great flyer! I love putting mine up is some wind and just hovering overhead. Takes some practice, and the right wind, but it sure is fun! Then throttle up and take it around for rolls, inverted, you name it. The Versa just loves to fly, and will take a beating!

Jaxx

Xume720,

What power combo are you using in your Versa Wing? It looks like a quick build.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Turnigy D2830 1000KV spinning a GWS 8x6. I'm on a 30A ESC, but just because that's what I had handy. I don't think it pulls anywhere near 20A, much less 30A!
I do have to be careful with throttle since I think the prop blades stall at full throttle. I've noticed a loss of power when I punch it too hard...

Last edited:

Jaxx

Turnigy D2830 1000KV spinning a GWS 8x6. I'm on a 30A ESC, but just because that's what I had handy. I don't think it pulls anywhere near 20A, much less 30A!
I do have to be careful with throttle since I think the prop blades stall at full throttle. I've noticed a loss of power when I punch it too hard...

I love those GWS/GWS Style 8X6 props. I think the offer a great balance between thrust and speed. How do you find the power with this prop on the 1000kv motor?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's the best combo I've found for what I have on hand. I get good acceleration on takeoff with not too much torque and decent speed.
I did get some higher KV motors I may try with some smaller props for more speed, but I'll probably build a new airframe to give that a go.