Why use a head-tracker?

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hey I want to show you what I did with an arduino nano and an MPU6050 IMU!!
B309128F-9D54-4BA0-816D-B0EC19375E8F.jpeg
920D771B-A65C-4935-BF00-D3F99DCD641E.jpeg
E903CFE0-7916-4455-A4FC-3D5F8A656D79.jpeg
AA1702D1-C654-44D5-B03F-E1F6EAAA459A.jpeg
22B0000F-D4C6-43F9-A4C8-5C33AD217A99.jpeg

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Tha

that head-tracker looks really tiny! Is it IMU only or does it have magnetometer as well? Does it drift over time?

Intriguing gimbal solution, very low profile. Good for application at the nose!

Yes, It is in IMU only, when I revisit it I plan to use a MPU9250, it has a built in magnetometer. And yes it does drift. So I just sit in an office chair when I use it so I can make up for the drift.

FPVAirCombat

I like very smooth control inputs when flying FPV. And in a big jet like Freewing MiG-29, the “in cockpit” experience with head-tracking is so realistic! Go up high to enjoy a second sunset, look around and check out the mountain ranges. Then swoop down and do some lazy aerobatics, all the while runway can be in view with a simple head turn to keep orientation. So much fun it’s hard to describe:love:

FPVAirCombat

Glad you are finding it useful! I have some friends that have tracker, but they hardly move their head at all when flying. I crank my head like crazy when I use a fixed camera FPV, trying to make it move. HT is intuitive and second nature to me. I forget it’s there:)

FPVAirCombat

Another aerobatics video, this time in calm wind at dusk, with low rates to really smooth out the flight. Enjoy!

I find having instrument panel in view to gauge attitude against horizon is very useful especially with head-tracker. Some people position head-tracking camera at the nose of plane without any obstruction in view; it could be hard to tell where the nose is pointed exactly and could contribute to motion-sickness without the fixed reference.

FPVAirCombat

Thanks to Cliff (dlktdr) and collaborators for the open source head-tracker build! I am really enjoying the wireless feature not worrying about tugging the trainer chord. I move my head a lot in flight. Smooth, fast, and precise tracking meaning not having to recenter HT at all during flight is great. I forget HT is there and just feel I am one with the plane. Dare I say, I feel like a fighter pilot:D

FPVAirCombat

Adding a reflector sight coupled with head-tracker really accentuates immersive FPV flying experience and makes one feel like being in their own jet fighter! Perfect for fulfilling the need for speed after watching Top Gun Maverick!

FPVAirCombat

Haven't checked into Flitetest forum for a while. The PT-17 above looks pretty good. Just need to center the camera and clear the windshield a bit for better forward visibility.

Here' is my latest foray into highly contested air space over Taiwan in a Zero. Haha, kidding. Just visiting a new RC field there near Taipei, Taiwan. Notice the proper reflector sight which corrects for parallax in aiming when camera is not perfectly centered (essential with HT application). In addition to being an excellent munitions aiming aid, the sight doubles as accurate attitude indicator. When it's properly calibrated, the reticle lines up with horizon to indicate level flight. Very precise at indicating climb and descend, very useful at low attitudes to keep from hitting ground. Enjoy!

FPVAirCombat

Checking in again, this time trying to dogfight a F-22 Raptor using reflector sight in a ViperJet. Surprisingly, I discover wake turbulence can throw off a pursuing plane’s aim very effectively:eek: