x2204 Motor/12A ESC issue

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
unless you're seeing errors in the configurator when connected to cleanflight, I don't think it's going to be the firmware. do you have oneshot enabled? I know you dread soldering in a different motor, but if you have one available that would at least narrow down the troubleshooting a bit more... right now it sounds like it's either the motors or the ESCs (firmware on ESCs if they're older)... but if oneshot is in use that might complicate it a little bit.

JMundy

unless you're seeing errors in the configurator when connected to cleanflight, I don't think it's going to be the firmware. do you have oneshot enabled? I know you dread soldering in a different motor, but if you have one available that would at least narrow down the troubleshooting a bit more... right now it sounds like it's either the motors or the ESCs (firmware on ESCs if they're older)... but if oneshot is in use that might complicate it a little bit.

I tried a couple more thing...

I reflashed the Naze FC with Cleanflight 1.8.0... same problems

Next, I moved the motors, one-by-one to the one ESC that I thought was good, but it is starting to cut-out too, trying it with the 3 motors then were cutting out and finally reconnecting the motor that was originally connect to this ESC.

Next, I took a 1806 motor off of my QAV250 and connected it to one of the ESC that I know was having the cut-out issue... no problem

Next, I took the X2204 motor and connected to Lumenier ESC on my QAV250.... no problem

NOW, I can rule out the motors and the ESCs!! This leaves only the Lumenier distribution board.... could it be??

OR... this is a CF frame, could the frame be shorting out the motors?? The screws that are used for mounting the motors are approx 5mm from the windings...

Last edited:

JMundy

Tried two more things....

The motor mount screws seemed to have plenty of clearance to the windings, but just incase there wasnt, I added two washers to get a little bit more clearance... no change

Re-calibrated the ESCs... no change

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
swapping the motors was a pretty good test. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like whatever version of simon k, and settings on the current ESCs doesn't get along with those RTFQ motors at higher RPM/load... seems kinda like a sync issue. It's fine on the other quad, and you move the lumineer motors over and it's fine on the escs... gotta be something to do with the combo of those motors and the esc firmware/settings.

keep us posted... really wacky issue!

JMundy

swapping the motors was a pretty good test. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like whatever version of simon k, and settings on the current ESCs doesn't get along with those RTFQ motors at higher RPM/load... seems kinda like a sync issue. It's fine on the other quad, and you move the lumineer motors over and it's fine on the escs... gotta be something to do with the combo of those motors and the esc firmware/settings.

keep us posted... really wacky issue!

BUT... I have the SAME ESCs on the QAV250 and the motor had no issue. So I dont think it is an issue with the ESC. Of course I only tried one motor... maybe I should swap ALL 4 motors

Next I am going to try to recalibrate each ESC one-by-one, but after that.... I am out of options!!!

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The Two sets of ESC's may have different versions of simonk flashed to them. Just because they're the same brand/model of ESC doesn't mean they had the same version of simonK flashed to them. Luminere may have switched versions between the time the two sets were purchased.

This sure sounds like sync issues to me.

I'd try reflashing the ESC's with the latest simonk or try blheli instead.

JMundy

I think I found the issue... when I moved just one motor over to my QAV250, there wasnt any issue, but I just moved ALL 4 motors to the QAV250 from the Danaus and I have the same issue. Just to make sure I move the Lumenier 1806 motors to the Danaus to confirm there was no issue.... these worked fine

So... it has to be these x2204 2300kv motors from Ready to fly quads.... time to give them a call

JMundy

The Two sets of ESC's may have different versions of simonk flashed to them. Just because they're the same brand/model of ESC doesn't mean they had the same version of simonK flashed to them. Luminere may have switched versions between the time the two sets were purchased.

This sure sounds like sync issues to me.

I'd try reflashing the ESC's with the latest simonk or try blheli instead.

Reflashing is probably a good option... will try giving that a shot

JMundy

Reflashing is probably a good option... will try giving that a shot

UPDATE - Waiting on ESC programmer, will update when I have reflashed ESCs with BLHeli. Also, read on a forum that sometimes changing the looptime to 3000 has solved the problem, which I tried, with no success.

JMundy

Me again... totally frustrated!!!

I received my USB programmer from GetFPV and Flashed BLHeli with no problem on the first ESC, then went on to the 2nd ESC. Then all of the sudden one of the ESC started smoking!! I quickly unplugged and disassembled the quad, it was the first ESC I flashed that was smoking.... CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

I am not sure what I did wrong... the ESCs are all powered from the distribution board.... I was using a 3S battery wit 3.8v/cell. I tried plugging the the power back in and can confirm it was definitely the first ESC I flashed

I used the "HOBBYKING UBEC 30A" based upon this forum - http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?38741-ESC-luminier-N-fet-12A-and-BlHeli

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I really hate to say this (feels like kicking someone when they're down) but that's why I test my ESCs with a Current-limiter every time I flash. A bad flash can nearly instantly ruin a good ESC and take the motor with it. I've seen it happen on my bench -- rather not see it happen again :(

They're simple to build -- just wire in a pair of jumpers with a 12v incandescent automotive lightbulb in series with the hot lead. plug it in and flash with it attached -- if the ESC isn't trying to power the motor, the bulb stays dark and get plenty of power to flash, boot-up and beep the motors.

If something goes wrong (either because an error occurred or the wrong ROM was flashed) and the ESC attempts to do something stupid, the light will illuminate brightly as it tries to draw current and you have time to unplug everything, and/or quickly re-flash. That bulb has just saved your ESC and motor.

If all goes well the ESC reboots with the bulb dark, the motor beeps and I can spin her up to low throttle and the bulb dimly glows as the motor idles. Go much above idle the bulb glows a bit brighter and eventually the ESC resets from the voltage sag the bulb is causing. That's what you're hoping for.

I hate to say it, if the smoke went out after a re-flash, the FET's (Field Effect Transistors driving your motors) are burned and even if it does run, it's damaged to the point where full failure is imminent. I wouldn't trust them. Carefully check your motor as well (if it was plugged in). If the enamel appears scorched, it too is likely to fail in flight -- don't trust it either. Hard short failures in a power system can be devastating to anything sharing that current, so don't trust a functional but smoked part . . . it can break other things when it fails.

Sorry all this advise came in late :(