• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XB-70 Valkyrie: FT Style

SOOOO....today I got to paint! I borrowed my dad's EZ-up, taped on some thin plastic side walls to keep the wind out, and sprayed on the base white coat. This will be the majority of the paint job, since I'm recreating the first Valkyrie airframe. It will also have most of the markings, and the black nose and wing hinge areas.

IMG_6068.jpg IMG_6069.jpg IMG_6070.jpg IMG_6071.jpg IMG_6072.jpg IMG_6073.jpg IMG_6074.jpg IMG_6075.jpg

PRO TIP: When painting in a booth, MAKE SURE you wear a mask (I did), safety glasses (I did) ... and a cover-all jumpsuit of some kind ... (I didn't) :D

This is what happens when you stand in a spray booth without anything covering your arms or head XD

IMG_6065.jpg IMG_6066.jpg IMG_6067.jpg

LUCKILY I just got straight in the shower, and MOST of the paint dust just rubbed right off with hot water. Soap and shampoo got the rest out, so I look my age again. :p
 
OH YEAH! I almost forgot, before painting today I did another taxi test, this one at slightly higher speeds, in hopes of testing the drag chutes. Well, I tested the chutes. The door opened, but the chutes didn't actually DEPLOY. So I need to add a positive "ejection" force - probably a simple rubber band.

Regardless, it's good to learn that I need a small improvement, and also good to see how well the landing gear handle! I was pleasantly surprised! :D


Thanks for checking in, stay tuned!
 
Once i build a waterrocket and it had a parachute in it.
I used a thin sodabottle to ejekt the parechute.
That´s the video to this mecanism.
It always ejected but one time ( the last time ) :black_eyed: the parachute didn´t work.
From were did you get your perachute?
I build my own parachute and it works great, the failture in the end was because i folded it the wrong way.
Thats my DIY parachute:

WP_20180121_13_27_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20180121_13_28_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20180121_13_33_48_Pro.jpg

It has a diameter of 1.5 meters (4,9 foot) and its made out of a rescue blanket.
Its light and strong but you have to be careful, that there are no scratches in it.

Anyway, i hppe it was helpful for you.
Jetcrafter2000
 

Attachments

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not sure if you saw my question in your skype or not Ben but I will further ask about the gear on your fast taxi test. How much an issue can or would the rear trucks twisting and being torqued like that effect the ability to take off? I know it would be added stress and possibly damage the mount over time but wondering if that would bleed off power for take offs as well since you have to counter steer.
 
Sorry Bill, I didn't see your Skype till you mentioned it here.

The sound you heard is the wheels chattering on the axles, because as you said, there are no bearings. That can mostly be fixed with a little graphite for the axles.

The skewing of the trucks is more of a steering challenge for me, not really a big hit to the takeoff roll. On that high-speed taxi I don't think I pushed it much past half throttle, so I've got plenty of "oomph" left.

Let me also be clear, in case anyone else is concerned or wanting to ask: The wild back-and-forth in the video was COMPLETELY "Pilot Induced Oscillation", I do not think that behavior was indicative of the alignment of the wheels at all. I failed to set my steering rate to "LOW" prior to the test, which is something I always usually do prior to takeoff of a wheeled-aircraft (C-17, F-4).
 

Sotm

New member
Could you save weight using 3 4S 6000 instead each powering two edfs on opposites sides?
Probably, but mostly because that's the equivalent of only 3000mAh per motor, less total capacity. 3 x 6000 = 18,000 vs. 6 x 5000 = 30,000.

Wheel link should be fixed now. Thanks for letting me know.
 
Ben,

First off, that bird is a beauty! Great job so far, I can't wait to see her fly.

Secondly, have you tested raising and lowering the gear with the fans running? I'm concerned since the gear is open to the low pressure zone, the suction may be too great for the servo opening the door to overcome. There will be a LOT of air trying to enter through the gear opening. I'd hate to see you not be able to lower to rears while in the air. Just some thoughts.
 
Ben,

First off, that bird is a beauty! Great job so far, I can't wait to see her fly.

Secondly, have you tested raising and lowering the gear with the fans running? I'm concerned since the gear is open to the low pressure zone, the suction may be too great for the servo opening the door to overcome. There will be a LOT of air trying to enter through the gear opening. I'd hate to see you not be able to lower to rears while in the air. Just some thoughts.
Thanks for joining!

No, I haven't done that particular test yet, but you're not the only one to suggest it. I have cut back the door a bit, so there is a gap at the rear of the door, it no longer makes a nice 'seal' on its perimeter.

It shouldn't be a hard test do though, and now that the Valkyrie is staged in my dad's garage I have a bit more room to work.
 
Quick update, mostly pics. I was able to spend a little more time today working on the canopy lines, and took some pics with the wingtips on after painting the black accents yesterday.

Also, I weighed myself and then me and the airframe to get a full-up flying weight: 24lbs!

IMG_6080.jpg IMG_6081.jpg IMG_6082.jpg IMG_6083.jpg IMG_6084.jpg IMG_6085.jpg IMG_6086.jpg
 

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Sounds good, and make sure you have a 15 person camera crew with you! JK but we all want to see this thing fly and I can't wait to see the video for it!