FT... Thresher?

Namactual

Elite member
No problem Bud!

@DamoRC , you got me thinking about wings now. Depending on how well my NAMA airfoil works on the new Phantom, I might migrate it over the the Thresher as an option.

Big thanks to Damo for the NAMA tag as well. It just kinda rolls off the tongue. (y)

UCChris

MO Flight Crew
As a relatively new builder (Mini Arrow and Bloody Baron built so far) the paper canopies intimidate me. I was thinking about using foam to finish it and this gives me a starting point. Thanks so much!

Namactual

Elite member
@UCChris You are about to start down a road that will take your RC hobby to the next level my friend. Modifying and building your own is the most rewarding part for me. Especially when they actually fly when I am done.;)

Honestly, I did the Flite Test kits for a while until I was comfortable with DTF. Once I started playing with changes and then went on to scratch building I was hooked. I pretty much just design and build my own now. That said, there are a few FT designs I really like. The Racer being one of them. The Thresher was kind of a blending of the two.

Although I do not buy the speed build kits anymore, I try to buy what I can through the FT store. I really wish they still sold the white DTF though. I am not a fan of the browns stuff.:(

UCChris

MO Flight Crew
@UCChris You are about to start down a road that will take your RC hobby to the next level my friend. Modifying and building your own is the most rewarding part for me. Especially when they actually fly when I am done.;)

Honestly, I did the Flite Test kits for a while until I was comfortable with DTF. Once I started playing with changes and then went on to scratch building I was hooked. I pretty much just design and build my own now. That said, there are a few FT designs I really like. The Racer being one of them. The Thresher was kind of a blending of the two.

Although I do not buy the speed build kits anymore, I try to buy what I can through the FT store. I really wish they still sold the white DTF though. I am not a fan of the browns stuff.:(

I reckon you're probably right! I fired up the modeling software this morning and I'm designing a 60" wingspan sloping glider right now.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
No problem Bud!

@DamoRC , you got me thinking about wings now. Depending on how well my NAMA airfoil works on the new Phantom, I might migrate it over the the Thresher as an option.

Big thanks to Damo for the NAMA tag as well. It just kinda rolls off the tongue. (y)

A NAMA foil to accompany the NAMA Duct would be cool! Interested to see if you are going to make it a 4-digit NAMA foil?;)

DamoRC

kdobson83

I was pretty interested in building the racer. But this spin of it looks incredible. Can not wait for the plans!!

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks bud!

It might be a while, but don't hesitate to build a Racer. You will love it. It really is my favorite FT plane.

kdobson83

Any word on the plans for the Thresher? I would LOVE to build this at about 130%. I've got a huge 2820/7 motor begging for a plane to be put on.

Namactual

Elite member
It's funny you mention that, I was just thinking of doing the Red Bull Challenge with this.

I just have so many projects I need to finish I really should not be starting another one no matter how much I want to.:(

I am going to say after FF, but who knows. I have been getting a lot of work done on the Phantom so it may be sooner.

Namactual

Elite member
Bad news.:poop:
I went to get started on the prints for the Thresher and they are gone. (n)
I must have forgot to back them up when I had to roll back the MacOS on my iMac. :cry:

The good news is, although it took me most of the day, I got a good start on redrawing it.
Thresher01.jpg
I just finished up the base FT-Racer frame and I will get started on the Thresher modifications tomorrow.

My plan is to make the basic Thresher using the stock Racer wing and fuselage first. Like the one in the original post. Once the plans are done and uploaded I plan to redesign a more complicated build that will most likely not use any FT parts. It will resemble the base Thresher, but be a lot more polished and streamlined. Consequently it will be a more complicated build as well.

The base model should go quick, but I can not say when the complicated one will be done.

Namactual

Elite member
That's the beauty of the FT planes, they are just big squares. :p

Drawing the "beef" is what really took most of the time. I did not really need to get that detailed with it, but now that it's done I can use it for everything going forward.

Namactual

Elite member
Could not sleep...
Thresher02.jpg
I remembered I did in fact change the fuselage before. I had to chop it down to get the lower profile. If I did not chop it, it looked too chunky.

Anyway, I am just about back to where I was with the first design. I enlarged and exaggerated the tail. The lower part of the tail is not final, it's just a stand in to get the overall lines balanced.

It's getting there.

Liam B

Don’t worry, I’m awake too! Darn old mattress...

Anyway, I absolutely love the look of this thing! I’ve always wanted to try a faster, prop driven plane so this might be the one. Looks really nice, too!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Could not sleep...
View attachment 110011
I remembered I did in fact change the fuselage before. I had to chop it down to get the lower profile. If I did not chop it, it looked too chunky.

Anyway, I am just about back to where I was with the first design. I enlarged and exaggerated the tail. The lower part of the tail is not final, it's just a stand in to get the overall lines balanced.

It's getting there.
That's looking great!

T-Richard

I like this design a lot. I tried a ft racer with poor results. However that was early on when I started so I'd have a better time if I tried again. But the canopy, scoops elongated vs make this a candidate for me.

This was mine.

Not to put any pressure namactual, but if you complete your plans before flitetest releases the the edge 540 I am building yours next ;)

Namactual

Elite member
Thank you gents!

I had to spend the morning getting some other responsibilities finished up, but it's on like Donkey Kong today. I have the rest of the week off as well. :cool:

No promises, but I will try to get this done ASAP.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
nice man. this looks super cool. i gotta learn this computer design stuff. i have been wanting to build the racer but might have to wait until i can get my hands on this.

laters,

me :cool:

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks bud!^

I think the design is done...:unsure:
Thresher03.jpg Thresher04.jpg
I am fairly happy with the overall shape. (y)
The next step is to lay out the foam pieces and get the plans done. I will be adding a cover that will plug that gaping maw it has up front.

The way the power pod fits in this is just like my first build. Since I had to chop the fuse down, the battery does not fit in the nose like the Racer. Instead, there is a hatch at the top/front that once removed, exposes the power pod that will house the battery. As a result, the things that normally would be in the pod you mount under the pod in the nose. ESC, BEC, etc. There is plenty of room in there for CG adjustments as well as electronics mounting options. I could also make the hatch larger and encompass the canopy which would give you all kinds of room to mount the electronics, but I don't think it will be needed.

The two air scoops behind the cockpit are covering the flush mounted servos for the elevator and rudder. Those could be mounted traditionally like the Racer if you wished. You will have to route the servo and push rod for the rudder above the horizontal stabilizer though.

This bird really likes to torque roll at launch so I will be playing with the power pod and thrust angles once I get to the build. That will make the power pod for this not compatilble with other swap-ables, but it would be completely optional. I will upload the plans as soon as they are done though so you could use just a stock power pod and get started right away.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Thanks bud!^

I think the design is done...:unsure:
View attachment 110035 View attachment 110036
I am fairly happy with the overall shape. (y)
The next step is to lay out the foam pieces and get the plans done. I will be adding a cover that will plug that gaping maw it has up front.

The way the power pod fits in this is just like my first build. Since I had to chop the fuse down, the battery does not fit in the nose like the Racer. Instead, there is a hatch at the top/front that once removed, exposes the power pod that will house the battery. As a result, the things that normally would be in the pod you mount under the pod in the nose. ESC, BEC, etc. There is plenty of room in there for CG adjustments as well as electronics mounting options. I could also make the hatch larger and encompass the canopy which would give you all kinds of room to mount the electronics, but I don't think it will be needed.

The two air scoops behind the cockpit are covering the flush mounted servos for the elevator and rudder. Those could be mounted traditionally like the Racer if you wished. You will have to route the servo and push rod for the rudder above the horizontal stabilizer though.

This bird really likes to torque roll at launch so I will be playing with the power pod and thrust angles once I get to the build. That will make the power pod for this not compatilble with other swap-ables, but it would be completely optional. I will upload the plans as soon as they are done though so you could use just a stock power pod and get started right away.
AWESOME!!