FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Recently I bought a 200' long roll of painters plastic sheeting that's super thin to lay out when I spray paint inside - I think it will work nice to spread some of that out next time I'm using the 3M77 and at least keep the overspray off the table and floor.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have tried it all. I usually do the @rockyboy option and it gets all over my arms and hands. If the wind is right, the overspray actually wraps back around and sticks to the pretty side of the skin.

The main draw to the table is I can use the same spray surface as the positive press surface to attach the foam without moving it. All without waste. I was also thinking I could put packing tape over the exposed wood areas that I could remove later when putting back in storage to keep the overspray off of the ends.

Again, it's nothing game changing. I am just trying the make the skinning process as painless as possible.

Well worth the effort as skinning the Foam designs is becoming more and more popular because of what you gfx guys are doing with it. Who knows. If you come up with a viable solution maybe you could produce it and see if FT will put it on the store for you.

Namactual

Elite member
I need to do a few skins for some of the FT designs. I want to do the Racer for sure, also the Cruiser. Both could handle the extra weight without issue. As for the store option, what I do here I give away freely. My name being on a gear door of an aircraft flying on the other side of the planet is all the payment I need.:)

I think the added complexity and cost is probably the biggest hurdle with the skins. Hopefully through collective brainstorming and experimentation we can cut down on some of that.

At least with the complexity anyway.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Saturday was our clubs attempt at a Warbird event. Attendence was not great (only 2 people from outside our club), but I choose the make the best of it. It was windy and gusty above what I would normally fly in, but I flew anyways. Got in 6 flights, and no damage!

Did have one very close call though. After finishing a flight on the Little Bird, I noticed one of the cyclic servos was locked in the full up position. Time for a replacement I think..

Attachments

• CA6EC521-41E8-4E92-98C7-A6231EF686AF.jpeg
    CA6EC521-41E8-4E92-98C7-A6231EF686AF.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Crashed 2 different planes 2 days in a row.

I recently got a RocHobby V-Tail Glider and really really like it. I haven't flown with or around a Radian but I suspect I might have something that can best it, that is once I get her back together. As it is, well, I stuck my last landing like a gymnast. I think it will buff out though. This plane needs an owners thread, tba soon.
IMG_1978.JPG IMG_1981.JPG
With everyone gearing up for FFO (but not me:cry:) I think I'll take my frustration and get to doing some aircraft maintenance.

The other plane I crashed (today) was my UMX Wildcat. I crashed it into the garage and when it looked like it hadn't had enough I sent it up a tall maple. After shimmying up that (at 49) I decided I needed to end well and flew it some more. Then I noticed some wounds it has. I'll have to put that one in down status too.
IMG_1983.JPG

Gotta love this hobby. Oh and the UMX Timber BNF is on sale, hmmm.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I love the little UMX Timber - flies great, even handles some wind gusts OK with it's 2 cell battery :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Yes, I think it could (maybe should) be in my hangar. It has so much going for it (lights, flaps, big wheels, SAFE, floats) and all for a tempting price.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Beautifully colorful !! Used to see skies that on the eastern med early mornings when I was on Nimtz. I had one really awesome shot right after a heavy thunder storm just as the sun was coming up. Hardly any colors but there was just enough cloud break up that beams of light could get thru and the camera caught the actual beams not just the ambient light.

Wish I still had the negatives from back then but I had over time to put my stuff in storage units and they all kind of melted into a solid blob.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wish I still had the negatives from back then but I had over time to put my stuff in storage units and they all kind of melted into a solid blob.

Ouch! I can empathize with that. I had a bunch of pictures from my high school exchange trip to Germany that were also destroyed when I stored some boxes in the attic. Memories only now.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Hmm I wonder why I haven’t been getting notifications for this thread... It doesn’t matter now however since I just read through a months worth of posts lol. I finally got the fly at the new field and met some awesome club members. I have a cool video that my friend Kyle and I shot there the other day.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Did you see Bjarnek's latest video? I saw that plane and you popped into my head immediately since you have been doing a lot with powered gliders.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/having-fun-with-my-st-salto.54125/
I just checked it out. Thanks for the link. That Bjarne is always doing what I want to be doing. Finally I'm not far behind. I just have to glue my plane back together. I need to get some video to post too.

Job update: USPS sent official offer today. I have a few days to respond. This may call for a celebratory UMX Timber purchase.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did you happen to see his walk thru of his shop? You could sleep 6 in there and still have room to film a build video and not interfere with someone flying the sim on his big screen in there. the perfect man cave / dog house. Would not mind getting banished to there every once in a while myself.