FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Frustrating afternoon at the flying site. Quadcopter wouldn't arm, wing wouldn't bind and the training slots were all taken up :(
Re-flashed the FC to fix the non-arming issue and the wing bound fine at home ...dead weird!!!

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Really nice wing - I couldn't quite see it - did you hot wire the spar cutouts also?

DamoRC
Yeah, jedicut has a nice section to add those to the gcode, it calls the RIBS. Not sure if i would do it all the time. I dont want to be locked into a specific size spar and it doesn't take that long to dremel out a spot.
1531282486730.png

Namactual

Elite member
I had the chance to get quite a few flights of the Thresher today. I used the footage for more editing practice...
Just playing around.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
The UMX Timber is mine. What a fine plane. I skipped much of the preflight checklist and took it outside. It was one of the easiest first flights I've ever flown and the first landing looked good... intentionally. I got the floats for it too. I'll practice some touch and goes tomorrow and the next time I see that glass offshore I'm on it. The weather has been warm enough. If I mess up I don't mind going for a swim.

I think I'll install the slats. I'm open to suggestions but it seems to me why not if they improve life and the plastic up front should improve leading edge ding protection.

Now that I have lights I guess I'll need some runway lighting too. Maybe those solar yard lights from Walmart.

Namactual

Elite member
The other day I was trying to figure out what to do about my design/building addiction as I really have no more hanger space. I have a bunch of prototype builds that, once I moved on to build the new version, just sat around collecting dust.

I would not sell these, being prototypes and test beds for modifications I just do not see the value. I also do not want to just rip out the electronics and toss them either, it just seems like a waste.

I was talking with a co-worker one day and he said he used to fly RC planes MANY years ago. He has been, unsuccessfully, trying to get back into the hobby for a while. I pointed him to FT and he did build a simple cub. For his first scratch build plane it was not bad, but it was heavy. He also did not have the right power setup. As a result it made two <10 seconds flights before destroying the power pod. It is easily repairable, but the airframe is really not flight worthy.

Then it hit me, I will let him learn to fly on all of my old airframes.:unsure:

I just set up the first one for him today. If he crashes and destroys the airframe beyond repair, I will salvage the elctronics and just give him another one. The way I have been building lately, I don't think he will ever run out of planes. :p

He gets to learn how to fly and I get to reduce my fleet without feeling guilty. It's a win win. (y)

Namactual

Elite member
Today has been the perfect day to fly. No wind, not to hot, just perfect.
I clocked out at about 9am and have been burning batteries all day.

I ran another 4 batteries through the Thresher, which I am getting more and more comfortable flying more aggressive with.
I also burned 4 Batteries through the VFA-103 Rhino. Those new RSII motors are perfect to offset the extra weight from the skin.

I have the batteries on the charger as I type. I plan to make the most of this weather while it lasts.(y)

jaredstrees

Today has been the perfect day to fly. No wind, not to hot, just perfect.
I clocked out at about 9am and have been burning batteries all day.

I ran another 4 batteries through the Thresher, which I am getting more and more comfortable flying more aggressive with.
I also burned 4 Batteries through the VFA-103 Rhino. Those new RSII motors are perfect to offset the extra weight from the skin.

I have the batteries on the charger as I type. I plan to make the most of this weather while it lasts.(y)

Must be nice! 104 with the heat index here. Showers everyday. Not flying weather. I can usually get a hour in if I'm at the field by 7:30am or so. Otherwise you sweat so much you can't see to fly!

Namactual

Elite member
Must be nice! 104 with the heat index here. Showers everyday. Not flying weather. I can usually get a hour in if I'm at the field by 7:30am or so. Otherwise you sweat so much you can't see to fly!
I hear ya, it's pretty rare that the wind is not going crazy up here. We usually get the worst kind of wind too, it seems to come from every direction. It's very unstable, I am not sure if it's the lakes or what.

Today was great though. I have some footage uploading as I type. I was really pushing my luck with the Rhino today...
and had a absolute blast.(y)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The other day I was trying to figure out what to do about my design/building addiction as I really have no more hanger space. I have a bunch of prototype builds that, once I moved on to build the new version, just sat around collecting dust.

I would not sell these, being prototypes and test beds for modifications I just do not see the value. I also do not want to just rip out the electronics and toss them either, it just seems like a waste.

I was talking with a co-worker one day and he said he used to fly RC planes MANY years ago. He has been, unsuccessfully, trying to get back into the hobby for a while. I pointed him to FT and he did build a simple cub. For his first scratch build plane it was not bad, but it was heavy. He also did not have the right power setup. As a result it made two <10 seconds flights before destroying the power pod. It is easily repairable, but the airframe is really not flight worthy.

Then it hit me, I will let him learn to fly on all of my old airframes.:unsure:

I just set up the first one for him today. If he crashes and destroys the airframe beyond repair, I will salvage the elctronics and just give him another one. The way I have been building lately, I don't think he will ever run out of planes. :p

He gets to learn how to fly and I get to reduce my fleet without feeling guilty. It's a win win. (y)
BE VERY CAREFUL!
I do the same thing here and you may find that soon enough your pile of planes you have lost interest in is rapidly depleted and you could end up building replacements just to keep him flying!

There is an old saying, "Give a man a fish and he will eat today but teach him to fish and he will never go hungry". You might be wiser to take the recovered electrics and help him build something properly and teach him to fly as well. You may end up with a trained conspirator and a flight buddy for many years to come!

Have fun!