Well it flew so I painted it.
f6f final.jpg
F6F final1.jpg

Motor: 2835 GForce 1200kv
Battery: 2200 20C
Prop: 10X7
Weight: ????
CG: 2.5 inches, 63mm from the leading edge at the fuselage
Ailerons: lower edge of ailerons was even with the back of the wing (this produces lazy circles)

The first "flight" was off my bungee launcher and it reached an altitude of about 3 feet and glided well to the ground so it was time for a powered flight.

The second flight was short as I could not turn to the right so I came down and found my rudder was way off. I believe my transmitter didn't save the trim settings. I dialed in a little more aileron too. The third flight was $$ and it looked great flying.

With the above set-up performance is lackluster. I didn't try it but I doubt it would go vertical. Part of the problem is the 20C battery combined with such a large frontal area which induces a lot of drag. My Spitfire with the same set-up has good performance capable of moderately fast flight and some vertical (which works for me now). I'm thinking I'll soon be putting a 35XX on this pretty soon if it survives.

Videos to follow

@Niez13 thanks again for the plans and the inspiration - I look forward to more of your builds.

Last edited:

Niez13

Elite member
Well it flew so I painted it. View attachment 175973 View attachment 175974

Motor: 2835 GForce 1200kv
Battery: 2200 20C
Prop: 10X7
Weight: ????
CG: 2.5 inches, 63mm from the leading edge at the fuselage
Ailerons: lower edge of ailerons was even with the back of the wing (this produces lazy circles)

The first "flight" was off my bungee launcher and it reached an altitude of about 3 feet and glided well to the ground so it was time for a powered flight.

The second flight was short as I could not turn to the right so I came down and found my rudder was way off. I believe my transmitter didn't save the trim settings. I dialed in a little more aileron too. The third flight was $$ and it looked great flying.

With the above set-up performance is lackluster. I didn't try it but I doubt it would go vertical. Part of the problem is the 20C battery combined with such a large frontal area which induces a lot of drag. My Spitfire with the same set-up has good performance capable of moderately fast flight and some vertical (which works for me now). I'm thinking I'll soon be putting a 35XX on this pretty soon if it survives.

Videos to follow

@Niez13 thanks again for the plans and the inspiration - I look forward to more of your builds.
That turned out awesome!!! Especially with the paint scheme. Sorry I wasn’t there for the wing alignment with the elevator question. I’ve just been real busy with some other designs. Can’t wait for your future builds, there more planes to come at 13thsquadron.com

w1lp33

Question. So thankfully I messed up on this fuselage anyways, so I can ask this question now.

Attached is a picture of where the tail assembly joins the fuselage. When I put it on, the front of the vertical stabilizer comes forward of the horizontal stabilizer, and sticks out right where former H is supposed to go as marked on the plans. So does former H actually go in front of this piece? Or do I trim this piece off?

Also, how do you fit former H onto the fuselage box without cutting it in two? Because the square is not wide enough to go around the end of the fuselage where the stabilizer tabs are.

Anyways, thanks for any help while I needle cut out some more pieces :)

Attachments

• IMG_0256.JPEG
    IMG_0256.JPEG
    597.7 KB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
Well its been a couple of months since I finished the F6F and I'm going to revise my above comments. I haven't changed anything on the above set-up but I am a better pilot. This plane flys great and @Niez13 nailed it in his introduction/overview of the plane. It flys very scale like and is capable of all the standard maneuvers. Build it and you will be well rewarded with a great flying plane. I always get compliments when I take it to the field.. Thanks 13TH Squadron for the plans and the help.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well its been a couple of months since I finished the F6F and I'm going to revise my above comments. I haven't changed anything on the above set-up but I am a better pilot. This plane flys great and @Niez13 nailed it in his introduction/overview of the plane. It flys very scale like and is capable of all the standard maneuvers. Build it and you will be well rewarded with a great flying plane. I always get compliments when I take it to the field.. Thanks 13TH Squadron for the plans and the help.
It's on my build list! I love the way the Hellcat looks, and I bet it flies amazing! I'm also planning on building his AT-6.

Niez13

Elite member
Question. So thankfully I messed up on this fuselage anyways, so I can ask this question now.

Attached is a picture of where the tail assembly joins the fuselage. When I put it on, the front of the vertical stabilizer comes forward of the horizontal stabilizer, and sticks out right where former H is supposed to go as marked on the plans. So does former H actually go in front of this piece? Or do I trim this piece off?

Also, how do you fit former H onto the fuselage box without cutting it in two? Because the square is not wide enough to go around the end of the fuselage where the stabilizer tabs are.

Anyways, thanks for any help while I needle cut out some more pieces :)
Sorry, I forgot to mark that on the plans. The front of the rudder is actually supposed to be trimmed right up to the front of the elevator. The H formers can be cut at the thin points in the corners and put in place right infront of the elevator/ rudder.

w1lp33

Sorry, I forgot to mark that on the plans. The front of the rudder is actually supposed to be trimmed right up to the front of the elevator. The H formers can be cut at the thin points in the corners and put in place right infront of the elevator/ rudder.

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. Thanks for getting back to me. I wasn't happy with how my first try at this plane was turning out, but I'll keep this in mind when I decide to try again :)

danskis

Master member
@Niez13 - yep, my second one is going to have foldover wing with 3 panels. This would reduce the build time and complexity. Again, thanks for a great plane.

danskis

Master member
@Chuppster - I'm sure your LE works great and adds strength and makes the plane last longer. My alternative was to round the leading edge with an iron. Sorry, no data.