Some parts arrived, so it's looking promising for a maiden flight this weekend if I can get all the work done. First up, the "before" picture showing the original power switch and fuel filler. The fuel port is nice, but I'm trying to standardize on two main types of filler, so this one is getting replaced. The power switch would be fine if I only had one battery, but I'm going to run two of 'em. I could either add a second switch or replace this one with a dual switch. The two visible covering patches are spots where I removed stickers the builder hand put on - both were to cover holes in the fuselage where he originally had switches (I think). The "slot" right above the landing gear is where the wing spars are inserted. A single bolt then holds each strut in place from the inside.
The new dual switch assembly and fuel port are now installed and the old switch hole needs to be patched. Admittedly the dual switch assembly is kind of big and bulky, but it's machined aluminum and has decent quality switches and wires. It'll also allow me to charge each battery individually while the plane is fully assembled. I used the same switch assembly on my clipped wing 1/4 scale Cub as well as the full wing 1/4 scale Cub, and it's very handy. Having two switches allows me to kill power completely to the electronic ignition and/or the receiver & servos as needed. It does require cutting a fairly big hole in the side of the fuselage for it to fit, but it's worth it. In my opinion...
The to-do list:
Mount the gas tank.
Mount the electronic ignition module.
Finalize gas line routing.
Mount both batteries.
Install new RX and route the servo plug wires.
Remove the wheel skirts, as my first flights will be on grass and they won't hold up.
Program dual rates.
Replace throttle clevis.
A few other things I'm probably forgetting...