2017/2018 Balsa Build Along!

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
yeah, I can't wait. it is something I've been looking forward to for a while as I usually enjoy the build more than the flight, so prolonging and complicating the build will add a whole new level of addiction.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
as long as there are cookies.

The dark side always has cookies!

cookies.gif

DarkFire

So, my ability to take part in the upcoming build-along.... :(

a 1/5 scale FW-109 (WWII German fighter)

First off, sorry for your loss :p. The gyrocopter did sound like a cool project.

Wondering what kind of plane that fuselage was from (I notice the little things). You said FW-109, but that doesn't exist :rolleyes:.

So we'll play GUESS THAT PLANE!!!

was it ....

A. An FW-190
Fw_190A-3_JG_2_in_Britain_1942.jpg

or....

B. A BF-109
Bf-109-1200_480.jpg

Just wonderin' :D (this is what happens after I'm in front of the computer and sleep deprived:cool:)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Oops, my bad. I meant ME-109. Or the BF-109 is acceptable, strange they had two names for it. That should be a fun project some day, although getting a price for a laser-cut short-kit of the wing is proving more difficult than it should be. :(

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Getting ready for build

Happiness is a brand new high performance Scorpion motor for the upcoming Hog Bipe build!

IMG_3361.JPG

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
From what I remember the designations were changed by the RLM to reflect the design team rather than the manufacturing establishment. In 1944/45 their aircraft were being built by any company that had the capacity and space to put rivets through aluminium sheets.

BF109 was redesignated as the Me109 after Willi Messerschmidt and the FW190-D4 became the Ta 152 after Kurt Tank.

At least that was what I was told!

have fun!

So here's my problem.... I have so many balsa projects, I don't know where to start! I just inventoried the unfinished or unstarted kits.

In order of age in the queue:
1. SIG Kadet Mk II, started in 1982, by my dad. Wings almost done.
2. Senior Telemaster short kit
3. SIG Hog Bipe laser cut kit
4. Partially finished RCM Arctic Tern
5. Great Planes Slow Poke Sport 40
6. Tritle 60" Super Cub short kit
7. RCM Agwagon short kit
8. Dare/Brodak Tritle Cessna 195
9. Tritle Ag Cat (biplane)
10. Stevens Aero Says Nuh 140 micro (actually #3 in the queue, but I am too lazy to renumber them all.

There's a couple free flight planes too.... It borders on ridiculousness! I am heavily leaning towards the 195 since I have everything but the flap and aileron servos. But, the Agwagon has been taunting me lately. The Agcat is also being quite a pest! Frankly, too many choices for someone with the attention span of a grasshopper!!

I'll try to make up my mind in the next couple weeks. I'll announce my intention to participate, but the actual project announcement will have to wait.

There's also a Tritle inspired Arctic Tern scratch build, but only one wing is partially finished.... I am so bad about staying on task. I really think my job takes all my ability to focus!

Edit: I took pictures of most of these kits, but my i device is not playing well with the picture tool....

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I shouldn't do this as it could be considered "evidence", but here's a somewhat complete list of kits/projects waiting for me, in no specific order, and not including the flyable planes that need some repairs:

Herr Aqua Star, NIB
Meister Scale 1/5 scale ME-109
Bird of Time ARF
Cessna 182 (Hobby King kit that needs about 3 hours to finish)
Hobbico Extra 300S rescue/re-build - my selection for the Balsa Build Along
Great Planes F4 Phantom, about 2/3 done
27% scale L-19 Bird Dog, about 1/2 done
Navion that crashed on maiden, needs "some" work
1/6 scale P-38
A couple Guillows kits
PT-40 Trainer by Great Planes rescue/re-build
Re-build of a 1/6-ish scale J-3 Cub, my first RC plane
"Puddle Jumper" water plane, needs the proper glow engine system
2 kit-bash planes made from the Hobby King Red Swan balsa kit, each about 1/2 done
Sig Ryan STA, about 1/2 done
1/3 scale Sopwith Pup rescue/re-build
1/5 scale Stinson Reliant rescue/re-build
Sig T-Clips
Senior Telemaster, NIB
Great Planes Zero (final parts for the glow engine should arrive Thursday)
EPP Cuda by Laine's Planes, NIB
E-Flite P-47 re-build
E-Flite P-51 re-build
RadJet 800 from Hobby King

On the good side, there's a swap meet coming up at the end of the month! Admitting you have a problem is the first step, and my problem is I'm running out of room! :)

I have been "told" I am out of room.... I don't see it that way, but I am a firm subscriber to the "happy wife, happy life!" philosophy!! I didn't include the foam kits, ARFs, or rebuilds. Fortunately my wife will never read this forum, so even though it's all documented here, it will never be read by the prosecutor!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@roversgonemad and @joker53150 I'm right there between you guys in volume of projects on the to-do list. :)

Just so I don't forget what kits and projects I have hiding in boxes, on top shelves, and hanging from rafters I keep a list here on the forum at http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...nch-Builds-Designs-Hangar-Queens-and-Failures

I also find it's helpful to have the links embeded in the list when I do finish or repair something, I can remember where I left it in the forums to go update the build thread :)

Funny that you mention "forgotten" projects. I was shuffling some stuff around, to create the illusion of more space, and came across two EPP wing kits I had completely forgotten about!! I almost felt silly, but that quickly passed :D

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have been "told" I am out of room.... I don't see it that way, but I am a firm subscriber to the "happy wife, happy life!" philosophy!! I didn't include the foam kits, ARFs, or rebuilds. Fortunately my wife will never read this forum, so even though it's all documented here, it will never be read by the prosecutor!

I know, right? This is like a mans version of Facebook, the wife will never come here...Speaking of wives, mine just saw the Hog Bipe kit on the workbench...I think it went over ok...

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
so what's the longest amount of time someone has put off a "kit"? For me I still have a "Great Planes" .20 J3 Cub under my bed that my father gave to me as an xmas gift in 1995. so 22 years that thing has sat unbuilt. I think I opened the box twice.

Compared to some of the lists you guys have, I don't feel bad at all about my project stash which consists of:

- aforementioned GP J3 cub
- (2) Guillows P51s (different scales)
- Guillows cessna 150 (built as free-flight, crashed, started rebuild as park flyer)
- Sig Rascal 49" wingspan kit (just ordered, not here yet)
- "juicer" (1990's electric trainer with 550 brushed motor adn 49" wingspan that I was converting to modern electronics - I flew it in the 1990s originally)
- Eflite Clipped wing cub 250 (Balsa ARF bought on clearance recently - almost complete).
- 1980's Cox American Eagle foam Sailplane. Was my first R/C airplane (used to launch it from the ground with a large rubber band). Crashed it 1991 - found it in the back of my parents closet recently still not fixed.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My oldest unfinished projects BY FAR are a pair of boats - the USS Crockett by Dumas and a Lake Michigan style fishing trawler, both of which I started at LEAST 30 years ago.