2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Eh, Damo can probably make like 5 more planes in those 10 weeks :p
However that means that im not sure my entry will be finished like I want, anyone with a 3d printer and good edf power system want to be my beta tester?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Also, now both the Allies and the Axis forces have team pages to help everyone coordinate squadron logos, paint schemes, etc. if they so wish

Links added to the main page above the team logos. It's worth going there for the links just to look at the huuuuuge list of entrants!! It's awesome!! :applause:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Eh, Damo can probably make like 5 more planes in those 10 weeks :p
However that means that im not sure my entry will be finished like I want, anyone with a 3d printer and good edf power system want to be my beta tester?

I think DamoRC is running out of steam. Finding it really hard to pickup the EF-112 again. Been distracting myself with some simpler builds (Bloody Baron - everyone should have one of these) and side projects (designing and building a C-130 for a guy at our field who had an old quad with 4 motors and 4 ESCs and said "Hey, could you make a C-130 out of these?" - I'm such a sucker.

@Fluburtur - would love to build your plane if you share the plans, I can use the EDF I took out of the Reichenberg. But it would probably be a 4 - 6 weeks or so before I could get a build done.

@Rockyboy - I can't tell if it's the subject of the competition and the sheer breadth of potential planes, the pent up desire for folks to create, or a step function increase in enthusiasm for the craft inspired by some of the great builders here, but this has to be one of the most enthusiastically subscribed design-build competitions ever - it really is brilliant. Hats off to you!.

DamoRC

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
The plans for my plane are on my build thread however I haven't made the internals needed for an EDF yet, otherwise it flies.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@Rockyboy - I can't tell if it's the subject of the competition and the sheer breadth of potential planes, the pent up desire for folks to create, or a step function increase in enthusiasm for the craft inspired by some of the great builders here, but this has to be one of the most enthusiastically subscribed design-build competitions ever - it really is brilliant. Hats off to you!.

Thanks!

I didn't come up with the initial idea (at least I don't think I did) and it's had input and influence from a lot of great people at FFE and here on the forums. I think of it as standing on the shoulders of giants, and all the great community development work that's gone on before. :cool:

Spacewalker

BV 141

Blohm&Voss-BV-141-Nazi-Experimental-Recon-Aircraft-Inflight-Rendering[1].jpg

Mit dem Flugzeug vereint!!!

Build Thread Here:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37406-Spacewalker-s-BV-141&p=371864#post371864

unnamed.jpg

Weltraumspaziergang

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard! :applause:

I'm very curious about where the proper lateral center of balance will end up being on this one... have you seen any research or have experience on that?

Or is the plan just build a prototype and see what works? That would likely be my method on this... a profile chuck glider to start and then cross fingers... eventually it'll go right! :black_eyed:

Spacewalker

From what I can gather looks like Starboard the Fuse carrying the engine,... here's a profile U-Control plane to get an idea:

blohm-voss-141-b-plans-august-1970-american-aircraft-modeler-1499x993.jpg

Spacewalker pic.png :black_eyed:

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This is about the 3rd time I've viewed that photo of "Spacewalker"-man with the briefcase. (as he's your avatar I will call him Spacewalker.)

I noticed just now... he has no right hand.

So with an eye and right hand missing, what did that Russian soldier endure I wonder. Evocative model/pic.

Capture.JPG
VERY NICE :)

Join us in the Team Allied Forces Thread

Spacewalker

Last edited:

MrFowl

Welp.

I got distracted and built a FT 3D :p

It sure was nice to build something that "just worked" though. Side note, CA kicker stains the waterproof foam board ...learned something new today!

(edit)
Side side note, :p The CA kicker finally dried (after almost two days) and left the foam board looking like new. I have a feeling it may have affected the lamination of the paper to the foam ...time will tell.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This is about the 3rd time I've viewed that photo of "Spacewalker"-man with the briefcase. (as he's your avatar I will call him Spacewalker.)

I noticed just now... he has no right hand.

So with an eye and right hand missing, what did that Russian soldier endure I wonder. Evocative model/pic.

View attachment 96740
VERY NICE :)

Join us in the Team Allied Forces Thread

Sadly the model is of a German Officer who is famous for trying to blow up Hitler. Search Col Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg. He was executed as a traitor in 1942 I believe.

My understanding is that he lost his hand and eye on the Russian front.

Have fun!