2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I was looking at wikipedia and found this
Basically a twin engine Caudron racer that had a light bomber variant, could be nice for someone too lazy to design a whole plane and would add some diversity.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Mizuno Shinryu

If someone wants to build a pusher config, he should take a look at the Mizuno Shinryu. I think it will be an easy build. With 700mm wingspan (scale 1:10) it will be a perfect fit for the Power Pack F. :cool:

Mizuno_Shinryu_from_WWII-Designed_late_with_rocket_propulsion_but_never_exceeded_beyond_the_initial_stage_of_development.jpg

300px-Mizuno_Shinryu_Model_%282_viewed_angles%29_artists_impression.jpg

Some japanese air support for Team Luftwaffe! ;)

Igoo57

Kaiser Fleetwings XBTK-1

Going to try to do this. I have not even built a foam board plane at this point, but what the heck.

My uncle used to sell Kaiser cars. Plus my first and last initials are TK So this one seems to be meant for me.

300px-Kaiser-Fleetwings_XBTK-1_drawing.PNG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard @Slingshot and Igoo57!

Just need to start those build threads up now so we can all follow along with the learning and fun! :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wahoo snap into the slim Jim there Igoo57 !!! :applause: First plans for a foamie build still on the table here at my house and jumpin right in to join the design fun with the rest of the crazies. This will be interesting to watch specially knowing you IRL. Expect good things on this one.

smithhayward

Large Child
Hey Everyone! I'm still deciding on whether I want to try to compete or not. I'm going to be doing my best to make it to FFWest next year if my schedule allows, but I'm moving into a new house in a week and won't really have my workshop running until probably late September. That said, might the Douglas TBD-1 Devastator count? Here's the opening paragraph from Wikipedia. Word is that by the time Japan bombed Pearl Harbor the TBD-1 was decommissioned, therefore not seeing WWII combat, despite at the time of it's wide usage it was considered the most advanced of its time.

"The Douglas TBD Devastator was an American torpedo bomber of the United States Navy, ordered in 1934, it first flew in 1935 and entered service in 1937. At that point, it was the most advanced aircraft flying for the Navy and possibly for any navy in the world. However, the fast pace of aircraft development quickly caught up with it, and by the time of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor the TBD was already outdated."

I'm not sure why I love this plane - I already have a thread (over a year in the making) to build a 70" wildly custom plane that I don't think anyone else would WANT to try to build (nor will I want to make plans for), but building a 36" version running on a smaller motor and a 3s 2200mAh battery sounds fun too. UGH! Too many projects and not enough days off!

Let me know about the TBD-1's worthiness to compete. If I have to up the anti, I'll promise to make the canopy slide open and design my own retracts out of bamboo skewers (I'm kidding, but maybe 3D printable ones)...

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Hey Everyone! I'm still deciding on whether I want to try to compete or not. I'm going to be doing my best to make it to FFWest next year if my schedule allows, but I'm moving into a new house in a week and won't really have my workshop running until probably late September. That said, might the Douglas TBD-1 Devastator count? Here's the opening paragraph from Wikipedia. Word is that by the time Japan bombed Pearl Harbor the TBD-1 was decommissioned, therefore not seeing WWII combat, despite at the time of it's wide usage it was considered the most advanced of its time.

"The Douglas TBD Devastator was an American torpedo bomber of the United States Navy, ordered in 1934, it first flew in 1935 and entered service in 1937. At that point, it was the most advanced aircraft flying for the Navy and possibly for any navy in the world. However, the fast pace of aircraft development quickly caught up with it, and by the time of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor the TBD was already outdated."

I'm not sure why I love this plane - I already have a thread (over a year in the making) to build a 70" wildly custom plane that I don't think anyone else would WANT to try to build (nor will I want to make plans for), but building a 36" version running on a smaller motor and a 3s 2200mAh battery sounds fun too. UGH! Too many projects and not enough days off!

Let me know about the TBD-1's worthiness to compete. If I have to up the anti, I'll promise to make the canopy slide open and design my own retracts out of bamboo skewers (I'm kidding, but maybe 3D printable ones)...
As a matter of fact, the Devastator WAS used in combat situations. They used them in Coral Sea and midway and some of the early war raids around the south pacific. An interesting story actually is Torpedo Squadron 8 at midway where only one of a whole squadron of planes survived, but even his plane was shot down and he had to be rescued. Surprised Wikipedia didn't mention it to you

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I also caught this in the wiki..

"The Devastator performed well in some early battles, but earned notoriety for its catastrophically poor performance in the Battle of Midway, in which the 41 Devastators launched during the battle produced zero torpedo hits and only six survived to return to their carriers."

That pretty much says it saw combat in the period we are building for. You may still be able to enter it but I am sure it will take points hits for those battles failed or not. That will be up to the officiator for the contest.

smithhayward

Large Child
OK, I'll admit that it was late and I was exhausted LOL! I may not have (read: didn't) read the entire wikipedia page :rolleyes: That's cool - I may take the points hit if only because I like that plane and have a great familiarity with it at this point. Then again, I may not have the time, but I will post here and create the build thread if I change my mind.