2019 RC Resolutions

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Let's wrap this up! 2019 is almost done - I might get out for one more day of flying next weekend, but just in case...

Things in Green are complete, and Red are missed.

1. Finish and maiden my FW-42 project
- I still just need to balance, mount the batteries, and go fly, but she's buried so far back in my shop and behind so many house projects I haven't found the opportunity to assemble her in the yard to do the balancing - or get up to my buddy Carl's to use his garage... which is filled with his own project at the moment... yeah... certainly not happening this year. We'll revisit this in 2020 :D

2. Get to FliteFest
- Nope.

3. Fly every month
- Yes! I did it! :cool: 155 flights this year, including 18 crashes too. The most flights are still on the UMX Radian I took on vacation with 19, the Dreamer biplane at 16, the All Star at 14, and the NuBee in third place with 10 flights. Most time is on the UMX Radian at 1:30 & Dreamer at 104 minutes, but overall a total of 10 hours 51 minutes of flight time this year compared to 6 hours 8 minutes last year! :D
Flights 20191221-141453.jpg

4. Build a biplane for my club's summer bipe contest
- Done! Built a second one this year too!

5. Learn to fly the Club Class pattern sequence.
- Been making good progress on the inverted flight pass that is the hardest maneuver in the sequence for me - still need some more work memorizing the order - that might be the goal for next year :D It'll be a lot easier with the LUA program I setup to call out the sequence steps in order when I hit a switch on the transmitter. Love that OpenTX!

6. Design and release a new plan to the forum.
- The big summer forum challenge is started, and I started the Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee for this - although I'm really bitten by the balsa bug recently and haven't done much work on it since starting.

7. Find someone in my club to take over as president for 2020.
- The next president has taken over, and I stay on the board as the "Past President" for as long as he's in office to make sure there's a good transition and he's not left hanging in the wind. Pretty good system I think - worked well for me to have the experience of the previous guy to draw on for sure!

So how about everyone else? Did your hobby year turn out how you expected? End up going in new directions? Distracted by a shiny new idea?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Well, I did a lot of work on my j3, but I got some other projects and didn’t finish it. I’m probably not going to finish this year. I still have to work on the plans for the doghouse because it has more issues than I thought. I did a lot of flying this year, so I think I did that right. For the last resolution, getting better at flying, I think that I did very well. I’m still not that good, but my landings have gotten smoother and I have made a lot less stupid mistakes. Also, I’m currently building a plane for 3d flying, and that should make me a little better too.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My resolution is to cull my hangar,
Finish all unfinished builds,
Design and build my dream model in FB.

That is enough, as it might take a few years to realize!

Have fun!
Well I suppose now is the time to see how my resolutions panned out.
I did manage to cull my hangar and somehow at the same time have more models to fly and maintain. I ended up with the Clubs training aircraft to maintain and instruct on!:eek:
As for finishing all of my builds well I did try but I also managed to get more design and build projects for other club members. My "Order book" has enough orders to keep me busy for the next 6 months and it is still growing.:rolleyes:
My dream model design is under way though slowly as its structure has changed seriously about 4 times in the last year and each time it became stronger and lighter. It seems I am learning about the properties of FB and its uses than I thought were possible:unsure:.

If the OP wishes to start a 2020 resolutions list mine is ready. Especially as now it seems RC model aircraft are quickly becoming my full time profession.

May you all have a Merry Christmas and have even greater success and fun in the new year!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm going to update mine,
Here I mine.

#1. Finish my FTFC project this year.

#2. Design and build either a wood or a hot wire cut plane

#3. Get to Flite Fest

#4. Release at least four planes before 2020.

#1 Nope, she never flew...

#2 Designing was a little ambitious, but I am building the Willy Nillies GLH which should be done before 2020

#3 YES, the highlight of my year!!

#4 Only got two, might get three before the year ends.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well....

This "SHOULD" be simple....

1) STOP buying stuff
2) Finish building already bought stuff
3) Fly more planks
4) learn to fly planks LOS mo much better

Already borked #1 on Tiny Whoop stuff and a 2WD Traxxas / so will try to make it an end goal for the year.

Cheers!
LitterBug

How did I fair???

#1 FAIL ( bought stuff just the other day)
#2 FAIL ( I have new unbuilt stuff and just as much old unbuilt stuff)
#3 DING DING DING!!!! PASS! I did a lot more FPV planking this year including some iNav and ArduPlane.
Nano Skyhunters (raw RC and iNav)​
Strix Nano Goblin (raw RC and iNav)​
Strix Stratosurfer (ArduPlane)​
#4 FAIL.... I did "attempt" more than the past, but also Crashed more than the past

Cheers!
LitterBug

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, I’m super late but my resulution for last year was to be able to fly a whole battery pack and land without crashing. Yeah, I’m not kidding - that’s how bad I flew a year ago. Couldn’t even keep my simple scout or old speedster in the air without crashing, much less landing. I’d say I’ve improved a bit! ;) Not like I’m as good as I wish, and there are a ton of better pilot than me but I’m pretty proud of my progress.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Ok, I’m super late but my resulution for last year was to be able to fly a whole battery pack and land without crashing. Yeah, I’m not kidding - that’s how bad I flew a year ago. Couldn’t even keep my simple scout or old speedster in the air without crashing, much less landing. I’d say I’ve improved a bit! ;) Not like I’m as good as I wish, and there are a ton of better pilot than me but I’m pretty proud of my progress.
Yeah, I saw your mini mustang maiden and it looked good! Nice job!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

We are in the same boat.. I STILL have yet to get past a full circuit around a flying field on fixed wing.. gettin closer each attempt though :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
We are in the same boat.. I STILL have yet to get past a full circuit around a flying field on fixed wing.. gettin closer each attempt though :)
Keep it up man, it'll come soon. That's the great thing about FT cause crashes are fixable and those planes are tough!

JennyC6

Elite member
* Nitro DTFB planes still on hold for now. Will be ordering the P-47 kits in the next couple weeks methinks.

* Have a backorder in on the Phoenix Typhoon and its engine is tuned in, ready to go on the airframe once the airframe arrives. See Appendix A for video of engine running.

* Have a large batch of parts inbound for the CA-10. Need my surface fleet operational again.

* Scored another used plane at my LHS that needs maidened, see Appendix B.

* Nitro Alatus is complete, but needs maidened.

* Nitro converted Kadet flew once. Was excessively tailheavy but survived its trip, balance has been re-done, should be fine now. Need to re-re-maiden it.

* Have begun work on a Saito FA-45 powered 1.8 Skyhunter.

Appendix A:

Appendix B:
unknown.png

Another one of my cheap LHS finds that I've resurrected. Webra 28 on the nose, 8-6 MAS at 16k RPM. Numbers say she'll do 90+. Big departure from the 20-30 my trainer'll do!

Hopefully I get a window to re-maiden 'er soon. If that goes well, flight two will be belted WFO the entire time.
C6 Aviation Q42019 update:

* Typhoon plans changed. Got tired of waiting for the backorder, instead I got the Tower Sport GP/EP ARF. Similar airplane, in stock, flies like a dream according to everyone who's ever had one, and 60 bucks cheaper. Have gotten the engine fitted, cowling fitted, have installed retracts. Waiting on electronics, when these arrive epoxy gets involved to sure up some stuff.

* CA-10 drives again. Transmission is sitting on the healing bench for now but the cable locking axle is chooched in and a servo is jury-rigged to operate the lock. It does donuts now! Still needs a lot of electrical ancillary work, the trans installed, et-al, but that's held off for now. Need the front axle, front rims with a hex, few odds'n'ends.

* Haven't gotten to the field so no maidens/remaidens done.

* Minimal progress on the skyhunter.

* Picked up another used plane from the LHS, a biplane with an OS FS-48 Surpass. Engine runs like absolute perfection!

* Minimal progress on foam planes. They'll happen soon(TM)

* Need to figure out a storage solution. Got so many planes I can't park 'em in here anymore.

IMG_20191222_220907.jpg

IMG_20191222_220922.jpg

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Mine are:

Finish rebuilding my 500 size Apache Gunship
Finish my 600 size OH-58A Kiowa Project
Finish my C-47 in time for the D-Day 75th Anniversary
Finish and fly my FTFC entry (Naboo Star Skiff)
Travel to at least one new RC event (not local)
Looking back at my resolution, I have concluded that I get distracted too easy...
1. Mostly Complete, waiting on custom machined gear to arrive - Success
2. Solid Progress made, still not done - Fail
3. Not even close, barely touched that project - Fail
4. Got parts and plans together, but need to get back to it - Fail
5. Complete success! - I went to several great events that were well out of the local area this year, and had a blast! If you are near Dalton, GA the Southern Scale Helicopter Fun Fly is a sight to behold! So many great people and amazing projects! Hopefully next year will mean the completion of a few of the projects on the list!

bracesport

Legendary member
1- learn to fly admirably - admirably is a broad term - I am happy with my slope flights and although I did not get any video, I flew my hotliner and it was amazing - roll on 2020!
2- build and launch a DLG that @flyboa would be proud of - built and on the wall but sadly, not maidened!
3- slope soar with and without prop support and survive to tell the tales - every trip out is better than the last - only smashed my Hybrid when I got sucked in behind the cliff and botched the landing!
4- make a set of plans for a glider that someone else builds and likes - I have my slopemaster thread underway which I am hoping both @rockyboy and I will make in 2020!
5- have more fun - I am loving the challenges of building and flying - met some fellow fliers who are coaching me on slope soaring - the t16 rocks on OTX - with the limited time I have I can not say a bad word about 2019!

Phil :D

Vimana89

Legendary member
I agree that "resolutions" is a loaded term. My rc goals this year:
1) Train, train, train, on the simulator
(already went from crashing everything quick to being able to fly the funjet on full throttle and do tons of 3d with the parkmaster in just one day!)
2) Build or buy a good proper trainer and fly it until I'm proficient with it
3) Complete and successfully fly a build of my own design(I have gotten one airborne, but did not have the experience to control it, or the best equipment to make controlling it easy)

I think I've updated this once some time around the middle of the year, but this first post was early in the year when I was still very new, brash, and unsuccessful with the hobby...let's see if I've met my goals;)

1) Train on a simulator. Done it quite a bit early in the year, but I no longer train on Multiflight too often because the physics are just not that realistic(spoiler alert:rolleyes: takes flying real RC planes to know(y))

2.) Build or buy a good trainer and train. I got the little Champ, which in hindsight might not be the best as a small RET plane, but it was a good enough trainer for me. Fun little plane, got me really flying. Mission accomplished, couldn't be happier for the price.

3.) Complete and successfully fly a plane of my own design. This was the biggest hurdle, and over the year, I've flown a ton of my own designs successfully, from the RETjet and first V Sliver slender delta, to the Arrowhead and four wing plane, semi scale like the Vulcan, to old classics turned new like the '39 and Floating Kidney.

I'll dig up the second post if possible, but I think I've already far exceeded that as well. I believe it had a lot to do with flying A.E.T. as opposed to just R.E.T., and I've done that plus elevons and a taste of 4ch this year. Overall, this was the year that made the hobby a real thing for me:love::geek:. I made many rapid successes, and have a solid basis from which to relax and enjoy the ride wherever it takes me now as far as further progress and more sophisticated designs and builds and flying.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
So this was my post at the beginning of the year. I set reasonable but ambitious enough goals thinking I'd have my plate full, and it isn't even half way through the year and I've met and exceeded all of them. Trainer? Nailed it with the champ. Scratch builds? Got two different low aspect RET planes of my own design flying great and just about polished/finalized for release. Let's set some new goals for the second half of the year:

1.), improve my video skills. Edit in some text and music, perhaps add voice commentary or do reviews.
2.)finalize and release to the community my current designs.
3.)complete at least two more designs by the end of the year
4.)Continue to improve my designing, building, and flying skills by learning new things.
5.) Look into local clubs/proper flying fields and/or try to get s friend into the hobby.
Found the second post.

1.) Improve video editing skills. Yes, I have done that, but not by a whole lot. I've made a few nice edited compilations, but have preferred raw footage as of late since more time and concern has been towards designing, building, and flying than YouTube. This is something to be continued later on.

2.) Finalize and release my current designs. The main one at the time was the V Sliver slender delta, and that is accomplished, in no small part thanks to @Grifflyer. In the same boat is the Arrowhead, though it appeals to a broader audience and is more versatile.

3.) Complete at least two more designs. I've completed much more than that(although not many to the point of plans)

4.) Continue to improve design, build, and flying skills. Outdid myself here. I could barely fly the most basic RET planes at the time of this second post, and now design, build, and fly RET, AET, and Elevons in 3ch and have a small bit of 4ch experience.

5.) This is the only one I didn't really accomplish or exceed. Look into clubs/flying buddies. Most of my friends don't have much interest in this sort of thing, but I intend to get serious about checking out the club in 2020.

kilroy07

Legendary member
My goals for 2019 (in order) are;

#1. Finish my FTFC project this year!!!

This stalled, I learned the hard way I really (REALLY) need more experience with plank style planes... Thus started my love/hate (mostly hate) affair with the Goblin... Built 4 now, full packs gone through 0.
That said, the swordfish will fly! (See 2020 goals)... :p

#2. Design, build and share the plans for the DTFB Sr-71

This one is CLOSE! I had hoped to fly the Beta build this weekend, but the weather has turned nasty again...
Had a FANTASTIC week for flying while EVERYTHING was in the build stage... Mother Nature and I really need to sync up!

#3. Get to Flite Fest (be my second year) and bring wife and kids.

Done!
Wife and girls didn't make it, but I did! Had a great time! This will be an annual event for me.

#4. Learn how to fly Mustangs. (I really LOVE them, but I am so, so bad at flying them...) :cry:

Done. (Mostly)
I've had a Mustang in my stable for a good portion of the year and she's still in good shape.
Learning to use the rudder more and I think that's a big part of it.

#5. Print and fly the 3DLabPrint PT-17 (I have the files, just need the time and skill!)

Another stall...
My printer has been busy with other projects, but I have printed a few of the Eclipson Designs Free one on thingiverse and the Black Wing)
Also picked up some of the LWPLA to test out.

This weekend I plan on getting my CR-10 clone up and running so 3D printed planes are high on the list for next year.

And (if there's any part of the year left...)

#6. Design, build and share the plans for a DTFB B-36

Have everything collected for this one but trying to incorporate the $10 glider wings into the design caused it to fizzle out...
I WILL have a peacemaker in my fleet though, this one is just a matter of time.

All in all not too bad.
I really got slammed with work the later part of the year and TSA really frowns on all the sharp pointy bits I would need to take my projects on the road with me (Heck, they even think wine openers are a lethal weapon!) :rolleyes:

Parting quote...
The days are long, but the years are short.

Blue skies my forum friends and family!!!