• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Pumpkin drop event

3meter FT Shinden (will not use imperial units if possible :)

I wanted to build something huge for next years Flite Fest and I don't want it to crash. I asked Stephan at Flite Fest wether I should build a giant Shinden or a giant Pun Jet, and he said that the giant Shinden would probably fly better, plus I could enter it into a nearby giant scale warbird event. I haven't stared building yet because i'm not sure if they will come out with the monster foam or not. The motor that I had in mind was this one https://www.hobbypartz.com/66p-188-gt5325-11-kv260.html. I am either going to power it off of 6s or 8s. This is my first large electric build so I don't know which battery size would be needed. I will build it with the foam molding techniques for the wing and most of the fuselage because it will be more scale. The main thing that I am not sure about is how to put the retracts in with a long enough landing gear wire that won't flex. the Full scale had really large landing gear and I don't know which type of metal rod to use 1568569893606.png 1568569961217.png . It will use the same dowel spar system as in the giant Spitfire and Cruiser from a while ago. It will probably have the center of the wing permanently attached for strength and the ends of the ing will come off. The other problem is I have no idea where this will balance because it will have an airfoil that isn't eliptical unlike the real one. Thanks for any help.

Upload.wikimedia.org. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 Sept. 2019.
Modelingmadness.com. N. p., 2019. Web. 15 Sept. 2019.

whackflyer

I predict a pun jet would fly like a giant teddy bear. I scaled up the pun jet to 21.5 inches and flew it on an f pack, it’s pretty much the most trainerlike plane I’ve ever flown! Quite ironic as the small one is squirrelly and twitchy. It’d be hilarious to see a giant pun jet!

I predict a pun jet would fly like a giant teddy bear. I scaled up the pun jet to 21.5 inches and flew it on an f pack, it’s pretty much the most trainerlike plane I’ve ever flown! Quite ironic as the small one is squirrelly and twitchy. It’d be hilarious to see a giant pun jet!
maybe next year at a potentially smaller FPV platform, I wanted to bring a giant foam board plane to a balsa giant scale event.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
For the gear, my knowledge is only seeing giant class planes at the giant class field I fly at. Typically at that scale you are using small diameter tube or pipe. and not rod, however CF rods work too. The pipe is lighter and as strong. plus it allows for some articulation you may want. I thought about entering the Shinden in the FTFC20 modern classic. as there is a neat balsa plan out there.

For the gear, my knowledge is only seeing giant class planes at the giant class field I fly at. Typically at that scale you are using small diameter tube or pipe. and not rod, however CF rods work too. The pipe is lighter and as strong. plus it allows for some articulation you may want. I thought about entering the Shinden in the FTFC20 modern classic. as there is a neat balsa plan out there.
thanks, because you seem to know a lot more about these planes than I do do you know what size of retracts and approximate diameter I should use? I will probably have some very hard landings and the long gear may have some torque with scale wheels. Thanks.

https://store.flitetest.com/scratch...v5-brushless-esc-opto-hwa30201701-snd/p982907 I was thinking that this would would be an economical ESC for this build and that any issues that it has should be easily resolved. Since this is a pusher aircraft Having a more than powerful enough ESC is probably a good thing because otherwise it may not get enough airflow. https://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-5200mah-4s-35c-lipo-battery.html The other part of my plan is to use two 4s batteries to create a 8 cell 5200mah lipo. Should that be enough capacity for this plane to have five minute flights?

So it looks like they will start selling monster foam soon so once that is ready I will start work. Instead of getting the electronics first I will build the model, weigh it, then decide on a motor and retracts.