4 meter Plank - Build thread

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I have been weighing things and i am pretty sure i can come under 3kg total weight.
1584722214756.png

So probably somewhere in between 2,600g and 3000g, but i did the calculator based off worst case. Still not bad.
One problem i made in parts selection is i mixed up the specs on two servos. My plan was to run a clean 2s setup. I thought the servos i purchased were good for 8.4v but they are 6v max so now i need to either purchase another battery pack or get a BEC with enough amps to handle 4 of them without worry. I asked Alofthobbies to recommend a BEC, waiting on reply.

servos: https://alofthobbies.com/kst-ds125mg.html

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I have been weighing things and i am pretty sure i can come under 3kg total weight.
View attachment 162412

So probably somewhere in between 2,600g and 3000g, but i did the calculator based off worst case. Still not bad.
One problem i made in parts selection is i mixed up the specs on two servos. My plan was to run a clean 2s setup. I thought the servos i purchased were good for 8.4v but they are 6v max so now i need to either purchase another battery pack or get a BEC with enough amps to handle 4 of them without worry. I asked Alofthobbies to recommend a BEC, waiting on reply.

servos: https://alofthobbies.com/kst-ds125mg.html

Aww bummer about the servos! I was about to post some links to others you could replace them with....then I remembered where you put them... XD

Looks like all of Aloft's BECs are sold out, as are all the ones I could find on Hobbyking....but check THIS out!: Flite Test has BECs!

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-7amp-ubec-battery-eliminator-circuit-flt-2108/p1149912

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-15amp-ubec-battery-eliminator-circuit-flt-2109/p1149913

I'll definitely be picking up a few of these in the future when I need more BECs.

thenated0g

Mentor
No i cut them in after. I cut paths into the foam and layed in the servo wires with some excess in one spot that i triple checked and wrote down lol. I was worried that epoxy would seep in during the vacuum bagging process.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
No i cut them in after. I cut paths into the foam and layed in the servo wires with some excess in one spot that i triple checked and wrote down lol. I was worried that epoxy would seep in during the vacuum bagging process.

Ah ok, cool. Yeah that's a better idea. LOL Don't know why I thought you had molded in the servos. I think I inferred it when I saw the servo wires . :p

Wildthing

Legendary member

thenated0g

Mentor
Yeah i knew a guy from our local slopin group (BAMF Bay area model flyers) that had the original plane the fuse was taken from and he told me what to do and in researching, again, this is one of those things that people that have been in the hobby just know and so its not discussed very much online. Really happy with the simplicity and it "just works".

thenated0g

Mentor
Got the new servos in. Most expensive servos i have purchased yet, like $43 us each. But pretty crazy how strong they are at 8.4v and only weigh 23g. I will probably make some kind of little U shaped wooden frame out of 6mm ply for them to sit in.
Last night i cut out the elevator and aileron surfaces out of the Left wing (no pictures yet sorry). I removed about 1mm from the bottom for the glue joint i will add (goop or shoegoo) and about 5mm from the top surface to create the gap needed to move up.

Next on that is to mix up some 5 minute epoxy, cabosil, and black coloring and smear that over all the foam that was opened up on the wing and control surfaces, similar to what i did on the booby build. This ill not only protect the foam from physical damage but also from chemical damage when i add the glue hinge. It will also give a much stronger bond between the two surfaces, more surface area.
IMG_20200325_140310.jpg IMG_20200325_140426.jpg IMG_20200325_140618.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Made up a servo tray and got the servo pocket cut out. Also got the bare foam sealed with 15 minute epoxy, black tint, and cabosil. I was worried it would be translucent, but it came out really opaque.
IMG_20200328_175341.jpg IMG_20200328_175346.jpg IMG_20200328_175353.jpg

Also Tabletop Simulator on steam is really great with Zoom
IMG_20200328_160229.jpg