4 Metre Glider Scratch Build

What should I build next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackson T

Elite member
Got the ribs done for the next wing panels!
IMG20190604091601.jpg

This panel tapers slightly, so the ribs are all slightly different sizes.
IMG20190604091433.jpg
Do you normally make each rib exact to the aerofoil for a tapered wing, or do you make them all the same and just trim the ones that need to be shorter down? I decided to make each one exact to the aerofoil. They aren't very accurate though :(. I remember reading something that Selig (the aerofoil designer) wrote, saying that small inaccuracies will alter the aerofoil's performance a fair bit because of all the complicated stuff that happens at low reynolds numbers. I guess we'll find out!

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
This is what the wing planform looks like:

CAD Wing Planform.PNG

The yellow lines are the dihedral breaks and the blue lines are where the wing parts for transport. I'm currently building the first dihedralled panel (between the yellow lines). I won't be sheeting the outermost section because it doesn't need the strength, but I'm unsure if I should taper out the sheeting on the current panel, or if I should keep it all the way to the end of the panel. Any ideas?

Wildthing

Legendary member
This is what the wing planform looks like:

The yellow lines are the dihedral breaks and the blue lines are where the wing parts for transport. I'm currently building the first dihedralled panel (between the yellow lines). I won't be sheeting the outermost section because it doesn't need the strength, but I'm unsure if I should taper out the sheeting on the current panel, or if I should keep it all the way to the end of the panel. Any ideas?

Fantastic job you are doing, I sure wouldn't have the patience to do what you are doing.

Jackson T

Elite member
I would sheet all the way to the tip for looks and continuity. But that's just my opinion.
Yeah, that would probably look the best, but the sheeting adds a fair bit of weight (at least 30 percent of the total for the whole wing), and I also don't really want to buy the extra balsa (it would cost an extra $8 or so). It would also further decrease the roll rate with the extra weight on the tips. Any ideas on how I can not sheet the last panel, but still have it look ok?

TooJung2Die

Master member
Any ideas on how I can not sheet the last panel, but still have it look ok?
Cover the wing from the spar forward with an opaque covering film and continue the pattern to the wing tips. The whole leading edge from tip to tip will be the same opaque color. Use transparent film on the sections of wing behind the spar so the ribs show.

Jackson T

Elite member
Cover the wing from the spar forward with an opaque covering film and continue the pattern to the wing tips. The whole leading edge from tip to tip will be the same opaque color. Use transparent film on the sections of wing behind the spar so the ribs show.
Nice idea! I'll look into it.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Jackson T - I made my Hybrid Pheonix so I could learn a bit more about these sized ships, then I will toss the Vista in the air - to be honest, I have been scared to break it after all the work building it - I am over that now so a test flight will be imminent!

Jackson T

Elite member
So I'm not sure anymore if I want to put the carbon fibre tow on. I won't be able to high start it because it would require one heck of a rubber, and I don't think the rubber bands holding the wing on will handle the stress. So, if it lives it's whole life a motor glider, it doesn't need to have a crazy 10 G rating anymore (no high starting), and I haven't bought the epoxy yet, which will cost another $15. It seems plenty strong enough for normal operations with the sheeting anyway, and not putting the carbon on will save weight too. What do you guys recon?

Jackson T

Elite member
Finished the other side!
IMG20190629161955.jpg

It's funny, just these left and right panels together are bigger than a Tiny Trainer, and they're only 1/4 of the wing!

IMG20190629162057.jpg

Next I'll be making the left and right outermost panel, then I'll glue'm together!

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
I traced and cut out the ribs for the last wing panels today! I use tracing paper to get the pattern from the paper to the balsa. What other methods are out there?
IMG20190703171357.jpg
IMG20190703171450.jpg

Jackson T

Elite member
I forgot to mention before, I am making a video series about this project on my YouTube channel. I did a part one video for the build of the fuse and tail surfaces, and I'll make a part two on the wings when I'm finished. If you have any suggestions to improve the video, please let me know.

Last edited: