4 Metre Glider Scratch Build

What should I build next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackson T

Elite member
@Jackson T - do you have an 'Uncle Bills' in Aus - they have the Adams Ready Board - $3 ea!
No, I've never heard of Uncle Bills. I buy my foam from the craft shop (for way too high a price), and my balsa from Bunnings. How big is a sheet of Adams, and how heavy is it?

Jackson T

Elite member
Had a go at sheeting today. My balsa supplier only has 91cm lengths, which is why the whole leading edge isn't sheeted yet.
IMG20190503172007.jpg

It's not pretty, but it's my first time sheeting, and with a new glue too. On a side note, the carbon fibre tow arrived today. Now I just have to wait for Hobbyking to get 30min epoxy back in stock! The weight before sheeting was roughly 175 grams, and it's now around 199 grams.

TooJung2Die

Master member
If there's anything wrong with the sheet you can't see it from here. My suggestion is to join the sheeting before putting it on. Getting the ends of the sheeting to match up while it is on the wing will be difficult because of the curved shape. Glue them end to end to make one sheet the length you want first. Then glue it to the wing as one piece.

Jackson T

Elite member
If there's anything wrong with the sheet you can't see it from here. My suggestion is to join the sheeting before putting it on. Getting the ends of the sheeting to match up while it is on the wing will be difficult because of the curved shape. Glue them end to end to make one sheet the length you want first. Then glue it to the wing as one piece.
Good idea! I just asked a bit late...

Jackson T

Elite member
Finished the topside wing sheeting!
IMG20190504165914.jpg

The joins of the sheet pieces could be better, but it's not too bad. It now weighs 211 grams, and I still need to sheet the underside. Does that sound like a reasonable weight? It's heavier than I was expecting.
IMG20190504165924.jpg

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
It's coming along great. 211 grams = 7.4 ounces. Doesn't seem excessive to me but I don't fully understand the in's and out's of weight when it comes to gliders. I thought the Apollo glider I just finished would be sluggish with its AUW of 3.5 pounds and a 72.8" wingspan. Not true, it glides great. Sometimes you add extra ballast to gliders to increase weight. Especially for slope soaring.

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
It's coming along great. 211 grams = 7.4 ounces. Doesn't seem excessive to me but I don't fully understand the in's and out's of weight when it comes to gliders. I thought the Apollo glider I just finished would be sluggish with its AUW of 3.5 pounds and a 72.8" wingspan. Not true, it glides great. Sometimes you add extra ballast to gliders just increase weight. Especially for slope soaring.
Yeah, I saw that, nice one! How much wing area does it have? I guess even if this thing does comes out over weight, it should still be relatively slow.

TooJung2Die

Master member
The Apollo has about 4 square feet of wing. I calculated the wing loading to about 14 oz per square foot. The bigger the glider the higher the wing loading it can have and fly well. With bigger gliders like your 4m, you might want more weight so it penetrates and maintains airspeed. If it flies too slow the control will feel sluggish.

Tench745

Master member
The Apollo has about 4 square feet of wing. I calculated the wing loading to about 14 oz per square foot. The bigger the glider the higher the wing loading it can have and fly well. With bigger gliders like your 4m, you might want more weight so it penetrates and maintains airspeed. If it flies too slow the control will feel sluggish.
This is why we will sometimes use "cubic wing loading" because it scales equally as size increases.

Jackson T

Elite member
Finished the underside sheeting.
IMG20190508211521.jpg

The grades of balsa from my supplier are all over the place! The difference is more defined in person than on camera, too. Oh well, at least it's on the bottom :)
IMG20190508211554.jpg

The weight of the wing is now 248 grams.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I actually enjoyed cutting out the ribs on the printed balsa kits I built. What have you found to be the easiest way to transfer the pattern from the plan to the balsa?