40" Stearman

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I took the MM size PT-17 Stearman and increased it to a 40 " wingspan. Ready for the maiden flight. :)

IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1067.JPG
I also tried applying MonoKote to the DTFB for a nicer finish. It seems to have worked out well.

Test flight Teaser

IMG_1047.JPG

MM PT-17 Stearman ( Little Sister )

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Thanks.

How did you apply the monokote without melting the foam?

I used a low heat setting, ( about 2 on my hobby iron ) . I noticed that where I hot glued next to the monikote, that the glue was hotter then the iron temp. I may need to go back over some spots with just a little more heat. I imagine there is a fine line between not hot enough and too hot.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I used a low heat setting, ( about 2 on my hobby iron ) . I noticed that where I hot glued next to the monikote, that the glue was hotter then the iron temp. I may need to go back over some spots with just a little more heat. I imagine there is a fine line between not hot enough and too hot.

Got it. I may have to experiment a little now that I've seen such a great example :)

planebreaker2000

That looks great. I have also used ultrakote on foam and it works, just don't park it out in the sun on a hot day for very long.

What % did you scale up?

What motor do you plan on using?

Are you going to release the scaled up plans?

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
That looks great. I have also used ultrakote on foam and it works, just don't park it out in the sun on a hot day for very long.

What % did you scale up?

I didn't scale up a particular percentage, I just increased it till it was 40". Then I went back and adjusted all the things that don't get scaled up.

What motor do you plan on using?

I will either use the EMax 1100 kv motor I got from Flite Test with a 3 cell battery, or a 1350kv motor that I got with a speed controller. At some point I will most likely try a 950kv motor with a 4 cell battery.

Are you going to release the scaled up plans?

Once I get the aircraft test flown and proven I will post the plans. I like to make sure it works first. :)

I will post a couple more photos once I get some decals on.

jpot1

Elite member
Looks great. I will be interested in the plans. I am currently building the Raleigh Aeromasters version that Josh flew and that had an FT article. Following some suggestions that mrstamp80 had posted. So far so good.

image.jpeg

planebreaker2000

more questions:

How is your weight with the covering?

What are the first four numbers on the motors? The flite test power pack c is a 2215 emax1100kv

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Maiden flight

The maiden flight went a lot better then I expected. The 40" Stearman flew amazing. Here is a little teaser, the full flight will be in the article. :D