Tench745

Master member
Just getting ready to warm up the glue gun. This has got to be the BEST dry fit of any foam board plane I’ve built (and I have many under my belt!). Jonny, great job on the plans. The tail feathers fit together so elegantly! I’ll send updates as it gets closer to flying.
Here’s a shot of the 78” wingspan Corsair I built by blowing up the FliteTest plans by 200%.

p.s. There is NO Adam’s Redi-board available right now, so I’m using Ghost-Line from Walmart. Much more difficult to cut and work with and a tad bit thicker, so I’m having to adjust things here and there. Not as fun to work with, but it should be super strong.

Ghost line is INCREDIBLY heavy. As bad as or worse than Elmers. It's easily twice the weight of the Redi-board, so you'll probably need significant nose weight to counteract all the tail weight that equates to.

earl38

Ghost line is INCREDIBLY heavy. As bad as or worse than Elmers. It's easily twice the weight of the Redi-board, so you'll probably need significant nose weight to counteract all the tail weight that equates to.
Well aware! There’s absolutely nothing else available now. Will buy a case from FliteTest as soon as it’s back in stock. When you gotta build, you gotta build!

Brian B

Elite member
Made mine. Love it!
C-pack with 10x4.5, 80g nose lead, including 3S-2200mah it comes to 1050g. Will pull vertical.
20211103_175402.jpg
20211102_223917.jpg
20211102_223844.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Could you do me a favour,and test a 0945 and a 0960 prop on it an let me know how it goes.
It’ll be similar power, slightly different but most likely the difference between your motor and the FT C pack will be greater. The 9x6 will be slightly faster but have less overall power. The 9.45 will be similar in speed to the 10x4.5 just slightly less thrust.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
It’ll be similar power, slightly different but most likely the difference between your motor and the FT C pack will be greater. The 9x6 will be slightly faster but have less overall power. The 9.45 will be similar in speed to the 10x4.5 just slightly less thrust.
I've got a 2217 1250kv which is almost identical to the PPC

Jonny Gum

Elite member
High praise from you, thanks. But I think yours painted all yellow with the red fuselage stripes looked real sharp, and cleaner. ARF as someone said. Got some others coming?
Thank you! I'm "working" on an Ultimate Biplane, but I haven't messed around with RC stuff in months. I finally have a lot of free time, so when I'm not flying for real, I'll be bringing out some new planes!

Bigeard

Hello Jonny Gum ,
Absolutely enjoyed your build and video of the iconic PT-17 Steadman so congratulations on that . I have to say I am very surprised FT have not jumped on this particular model as a fast build kit !! as it is such a popular plane to make .
One question I would like to ask regarding the landing gear where it slots in between the two foam formers . As in many such models landing gear can very easily be damaged or ripped off on a bad landing and I was thinking if those two formers could be replaced with 2mm plywood or even faced with 1mm ply to help strengthen the backwards / forwards movement on a bad landing , same with the tail wheel , or would this make things too heavy or change the C of G ?......just curious ?
Thanks
M

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Hello Jonny Gum ,
Absolutely enjoyed your build and video of the iconic PT-17 Steadman so congratulations on that . I have to say I am very surprised FT have not jumped on this particular model as a fast build kit !! as it is such a popular plane to make .
One question I would like to ask regarding the landing gear where it slots in between the two foam formers . As in many such models landing gear can very easily be damaged or ripped off on a bad landing and I was thinking if those two formers could be replaced with 2mm plywood or even faced with 1mm ply to help strengthen the backwards / forwards movement on a bad landing , same with the tail wheel , or would this make things too heavy or change the C of G ?......just curious ?
Thanks
M
If anything, it would be beneficial to weight and balance since the plane typically runs tail heavy. Let us know how it works out if you try it!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
@Jonny Gum
Lol... Sorry I see my question wasn't quite clear.
On the plans there are 3 wing templates.
I imagine there should be 4.
Am I meant to mirror the one?
Or is there one wing half actually missing from the plans.
Thanks Matthew.