4XTrouble

Wildthing

Legendary member
I did have another thought while watching a movie. Again I am still thinking all 4 tubes should still have a positive AOA in any setup . The rear tubes are only an aileron setup for help with roll control and front are elevon setup so pitch and roll.

I might even then be able to use the 3 axis stabilizer on the rear tubes . :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Piotrsko

Master member
At this time, I still believe this is a dual purpose craft, hover and fly. If it's just fly, you'll want some positive AoA all the time, probably not less than +3 degrees on front if you treat it as a tandem wing. Im unable to see how you add a stabilizer to mixed controls

Wildthing

Legendary member
At this time, I still believe this is a dual purpose craft, hover and fly. If it's just fly, you'll want some positive AoA all the time, probably not less than +3 degrees on front if you treat it as a tandem wing. Im unable to see how you add a stabilizer to mixed controls

You wouldn't run any positive on the rear?

For the stabilizer ,I have a basic elevon mix in it right now front and rear, front is one pair of channels and rear has it's pair (5&6) , so I mix channel 5 as strictly aileron and 6 as elevator, those go to the stabilizer and it creates the v tail mix. So the back 2 barrels would be the active ones.

L Edge

Master member
I would build a dolly and try to finf CG and mount. My feeling with playing with cylinders is that the throttle is going to be very important and my were usually in the air with about 1/3 throttle. I agree with 3S for launching and stall angle will be a problem. Concept- just get it to fly straight and see what happens.

Another thought- to find CG and see how it going to fly-use truck and someone in back with person's hand holding model clear of cab. See what happens to find cg, then move controls small amounts to see what happens, then try motors and controls at very low speed. .Then increase truck speed by 3-5 mph and redo. Do it in segments, should save the model. I used it successfull on my morphing ASW to FSWW with success.

Here is a video with a wing at 33 degrees and see what happens. Throttle is the key.

Now, here is the flying model after I made some changes.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
I would build a dolly and try to finf CG and mount. My feeling with playing with cylinders is that the throttle is going to be very important and my were usually in the air with about 1/3 throttle. I agree with 3S for launching and stall angle will be a problem. Concept- just get it to fly straight and see what happens.

Another thought- to find CG and see how it going to fly-use truck and someone in back with person's hand holding model clear of cab. See what happens to find cg, then move controls small amounts to see what happens, then try motors and controls at very low speed. .Then increase truck speed by 3-5 mph and redo. Do it in segments, should save the model. I used it successfull on my morphing ASW to FSWW with success.

Here is a video with a wing at 33 degrees and see what happens. Throttle is the key.

Now, here is the flying model after I made some changes.

That's cool,

I do plan on putting some long skis on it if I am going to try it this winter if not it has mounts already for wheels :) . I do figure it will need throttle at all times of some amount to stay airborne. The riding in the back of a truck isn't going to happen while it is winter :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was just playing with the stabilizer and it works in it's delta mode , played with the gains a bit, it is pretty twitchy and could be very hard on the servos.

Piotrsko

Master member
You wouldn't run any positive on the rear?

For the stabilizer:::.
Well as a tandem, one lifting surface needs to be positive with respect to the other, and I presume you shot down @BATTLEAXE suggestions on nose down rear tubes. Suppose they could be both nose up but I fear that will lead to control issues fron misdirected thrust.

Nice fix with the stabilizer. Made my head hurt figuring out how to do ALL the channels with one 3 axis.

Back in the day, friends did a pivot rig and a rogollo wing on a pick up. Couldn't get it out of the seperated cab air, which may not be relevant here.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well as a tandem, one lifting surface needs to be positive with respect to the other, and I presume you shot down @BATTLEAXE suggestions on nose down rear tubes. Suppose they could be both nose up but I fear that will lead to control issues fron misdirected thrust.

Nice fix with the stabilizer. Made my head hurt figuring out how to do ALL the channels with one 3 axis.

Back in the day, friends did a pivot rig and a rogollo wing on a pick up. Couldn't get it out of the seperated cab air, which may not be relevant here.

I didn't shoot @BATTLEAXE suggestion, it actually was my first one :D , it is still on the table :) .
I was thinking that even if the front had a 3 degree positive and the rear 1 1/2 degree positive . My reasoning is more for roll control then pitch, pitch I should have a ton of authority roll on the other hand will be very unstable and I think any negative input may lead to a quick disaster which is more then likely anyways .

Stabilizer I can do front or rear but not both, going to play with the gain some more and see how it feels

Piotrsko

Master member
Raise your 3 positive to 5 and I think thats a winner with 1 1/2 rear. Control logic sounds excellent, don't think it will be roll twitchy under power.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Raise your 3 positive to 5 and I think thats a winner with 1 1/2 rear. Control logic sounds excellent, don't think it will be roll twitchy under power.

Sounds like a plan :)

I don't think I will use the stabilizer just because I think it will be really hard on the servos. Even with very little gain it's movement even though minor it is a sharp quick one. It's probably one of the cheapest I could find 6 years ago and I think I only used it once in those 6 years. If anything it helped me learn some more tricks to programming the T16. :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Skis are now in production. 3D printed main mounts and then 4 ribs of foam and it will be covered top and bottom with foam. Cheated on the bottom plate, made it extra wide so I didn't have to be super precise and once the glue cures I will trim the excess off and cover the top.

2019_1224_092708_001.JPG
2019_1224_092716_002.JPG
2019_1224_100929_001.JPG
2019_1224_104704_001.JPG
2019_1224_105040_001.JPG