59 year old newbie - adding more planes

Jimun

Elite member
@Jimun your flyiing is getting much better. Keep practing and you'll get even better. I am happy that you are flying in stronger winds now it's good practice. Next time you go to the field try doing 8 figures in a leveled flight mantaining the same height of flight.

Good luck!
I practiced a couple of hours on the simulator last week. I think it did help me fly more calmly then the last time I took it out.

mayan

Legendary member
I practiced a couple of hours on the simulator last week. I think it did help me fly more calmly then the last time I took it out.
And the more flight time you get it will only get better, keep it up my dear friend. Next step 4 channels and from the video I saw today you are not far for that :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Here is the 1st Flight of the day. I will get the other flight videos up later
I need to tilt the camera more, I will work on that
Nice! Ya'll have a talent for understatement over in your neck of the woods. "A little bit breezy." Ha! :D I know you're speaking comparatively, but still. The wind sounded like it'd take you away if you were flying a kite! Great job and great flight. (y)

mayan

Legendary member
Here are the flights from my 2nd battery. Including my 1st and 2nd loop.
Sorry that the plane goes out of camera range a lot. I will try to correct that next time.

I promise to watch them in full later today but from the bit I watched in between chores I have nothing more to say than what I have already said which is: “Hands down great flying, you seem to be in control of the plane and that is good. You are flying in strong winds by the sound of it and that’s important too.”. I think that you are ready for four channels.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I am thinking about trying the sport wing and 4 channel next time. We will see
You can putter around on 3 channel for awhile, but I don't suggest you do what I did and spend a lot of time there...
4 channel files "different" than three and I spent too much time puttering around and that has made advancing to 4 channel a bit more of a challenge (just my .02)

If you have access to a flight sim that will help you see how different they are.

Jimun

Elite member
You can putter around on 3 channel for awhile, but I don't suggest you do what I did and spend a lot of time there...
4 channel files "different" than three and I spent too much time puttering around and that has made advancing to 4 channel a bit more of a challenge (just my .02)

If you have access to a flight sim that will help you see how different they are.
I have been practicing on a flight simulator - RealFlight 8 - and I have the dongle to use my Spectrum 6 Controller. I practiced on a few 4 channel models. Those are more fun because of the more maneuvers you can do. I am thinking on my next outing.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Here are the flights from my 2nd battery. Including my 1st and 2nd loop.
Sorry that the plane goes out of camera range a lot. I will try to correct that next time.

Video 1: "My first loop! Ha, ha ha! I LIKE it!" Yep. I laughed. (I like them too. WAY more fun than flying in a straight line! ;)) At about 3:55 you were just trying to change direction in the wind, but that was a pretty darn good imitation of an Immelman Maneuver! Cool!

Video 2: "Low pass, or lower, on Purpose!" I'm still chuckling. You said the landing wasn't good. Yes it was. You managed to miss your truck! Whew, but that looked close! :eek:

Video 3: Couldn't really see much. Don't stress it. Sometimes aiming the camera on your head correctly is more difficult than flying the plane. Been there. Done that. I've had some good flights, and I didn't even bother to post the video, because my plane was hardly ever in the frame. I still don't have a good fix for it.

Video 4: Pretty much the same as three. I feel like I missed a lot. Like I said though, I still haven't figured it out. There is a big However here, though. However, how is that your batteries always die 10 feet from your location, and mine die 50 yards out? :rolleyes:

Great flights jimun! Three mistakes up is a really good practice, as you've experienced. That's doing it right. Even though I love to get stupid with the plane, I still always get way up and make sure everything works first. Do a couple circuits, maybe a figure-eight or two. THEN I get stupid! Then I generally crash because I ran out of battery (50 yards away) or just because I was getting stupid.

You're doing great, @Jimun. It is a pleasure to watch you fly (and land without hitting your truck. :p)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@Jimun, he's not the only person I've heard that from. I've read it enough on this forum that it seems like just as soon one can transition, the better. That way we're not cementing habits that don't work on a more advanced build, which is what we'll be flying really soon.

My next outing, I'm taking a 4ch TT along. If I set it up correctly, the control movements should be pretty much what I'm used to. Throttle on the left, direction on the right. Mayan has said that the plane is much more responsive to left-right with ailerons, and I'll be taking that into consideration. The rudder on the throttle side is intimidating, but I don't plan on using it, on my first few 4ch flights.

I plan to get three mistakes high, do some circuits, maybe a couple of figure-eights and then get stupid with it! Whoots!:p

mayan

Legendary member
Ok @Jimun a promise is a promise and I finally had time to watch all the videos which you recently posted. I won’t put attention to the video number but here are my comments for a better flight next time.

1) Your landings are getting much better nice and soft. Some of the others made you walk but so long as no damage had been done to the airframe than they are still great by my book.
2) I recommend not to try manuveurs that you don’t know for sure that you can handle so down low. On the second video the same maneuver at higher altitude would have saved you the crash.
3) You are mostly flying 3 mistakes high which is good practice and a good comfort zone.
4) Congrats on the very first loop and you made sure it won’t be your last. Coming down to gain airspeed in a loop is a good use of momentum. What was your throttle when you entered the loop and what was it when you came out of it?
5) Nice wing over on the first video of the second battery.
6) Great low and slow passes. If you feel comfortable with that, try throttling up when you are low and leveled and see what a rush it gives. Don’t throttle up unless your leveled low because it usually leads to a crash.

Other than that you are aware of the plane and the flying conditions, you know when you’ve made a mistake which is also very important. Great job buddy!

mayan

Legendary member
my problem is I'm in the city without space to get three mistakes high - I need to think on that!
True but by looking at your videos I think you can still get some height, although I might be wrong because I don't see the entire area from a bird eye view :).

Jimun

Elite member
Ok @Jimun a promise is a promise and I finally had time to watch all the videos which you recently posted. I won’t put attention to the video number but here are my comments for a better flight next time.

1) Your landings are getting much better nice and soft. Some of the others made you walk but so long as no damage had been done to the airframe than they are still great by my book.
2) I recommend not to try manuveurs that you don’t know for sure that you can handle so down low. On the second video the same maneuver at higher altitude would have saved you the crash.
3) You are mostly flying 3 mistakes high which is good practice and a good comfort zone.
4) Congrats on the very first loop and you made sure it won’t be your last. Coming down to gain airspeed in a loop is a good use of momentum. What was your throttle when you entered the loop and what was it when you came out of it?
5) Nice wing over on the first video of the second battery.
6) Great low and slow passes. If you feel comfortable with that, try throttling up when you are low and leveled and see what a rush it gives. Don’t throttle up unless your leveled low because it usually leads to a crash.

Other than that you are aware of the plane and the flying conditions, you know when you’ve made a mistake which is also very important. Great job buddy!

Thanks for the input.
If I remember correctly I think I just went up a couple of notches on the throttle. I have been keeping the throttle at half or 1 notch up on my flights and only been increasing it when I take off or get to low and want to climb back up. That's only for a few seconds and then I am back to half throttle. The wing over was kind of by accident, but when I seen it I just followed through with it :D and it did look good to me.

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks for the input.
If I remember correctly I think I just went up a couple of notches on the throttle. I have been keeping the throttle at half or 1 notch up on my flights and only been increasing it when I take off or get to low and want to climb back up. That's only for a few seconds and then I am back to half throttle. The wing over was kind of by accident, but when I seen it I just followed through with it :D and it did look good to me.
So another tip then. When entering a loop throttle up and when existing it throttle down it will give you a better loop. Try going back to the exact same hieght of when you’ve entered the loop when exist it.

Jimun

Elite member
Video 1: "My first loop! Ha, ha ha! I LIKE it!" Yep. I laughed. (I like them too. WAY more fun than flying in a straight line! ;)) At about 3:55 you were just trying to change direction in the wind, but that was a pretty darn good imitation of an Immelman Maneuver! Cool!

Video 2: "Low pass, or lower, on Purpose!" I'm still chuckling. You said the landing wasn't good. Yes it was. You managed to miss your truck! Whew, but that looked close! :eek:

Video 3: Couldn't really see much. Don't stress it. Sometimes aiming the camera on your head correctly is more difficult than flying the plane. Been there. Done that. I've had some good flights, and I didn't even bother to post the video, because my plane was hardly ever in the frame. I still don't have a good fix for it.

Video 4: Pretty much the same as three. I feel like I missed a lot. Like I said though, I still haven't figured it out. There is a big However here, though. However, how is that your batteries always die 10 feet from your location, and mine die 50 yards out? :rolleyes:

Great flights jimun! Three mistakes up is a really good practice, as you've experienced. That's doing it right. Even though I love to get stupid with the plane, I still always get way up and make sure everything works first. Do a couple circuits, maybe a figure-eight or two. THEN I get stupid! Then I generally crash because I ran out of battery (50 yards away) or just because I was getting stupid.

You're doing great, @Jimun. It is a pleasure to watch you fly (and land without hitting your truck. :p)
Thanks for the comments
I'll will have to look up what a Immelman maneuver is to see what I did so I can try it again:p