A Freestyle Simple Trainer from scratch

SeattleNiteFlite

I just put this model together. It is partly inspired by the Fieseler Storch and the such in proportion. It is foam board with a swappable power pod, and a tail section from a folded (over weight foam board & wrong prop/motor)FT 3D on this, as it was handy and fit the airframe. I may still trim the stabilizer and elevator, and cut out some under camber on the wing tips. Approx. 29" long, 40" wingspan with a 4 channel set up. I am also thinking of adding flaps and air brakes in the future.
photo (2).JPG
I will post more pics, specs soon and report how the maiden goes. :)

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Nice, looks great, and welcome to the forum. I hope that that will fly great, if it does you had better give out plans, also is that "the beef" package?? If I were you I would leave the horizontal stabilizer as is, maybe trim down vertical fin. Happy Flying and let us know how it goes. I would certainly add ailerons, but that's just me and how I like the more coordinated and scale it looks.

SeattleNiteFlite

Thanks for the response and good pointers.
It flies, but I had some CG issues. I did build ailerons, the servos are under the wings and not visible in the picture, but I may extend them by a 1/2" or so and I am going to trim the vert. stabilizer, as will help balance equalize the control surfaces on it.
The power plant is a near equivalent to the Beef, a Turnigy Aerodrive D2830/11 1000kv outrunner from HobbyKing spinning a 10x4.5 SF prop. I am using a 2200 25c 3s lipo and 30A ESC. I feel it may be slightly over powered, with no extra weight form flaps(more glue, tape, servos & wires) and a board camera to record flight(not FPV)in the future, so it's not a big issue. Besides it hovered on its maiden when still tail heavy :0

Last edited:

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Glad to help, I do agree it looks like it may be a little overpowered, but that is all the more fun to play with and experiment with, and I'm sure it will probably be fine. Flaps does seem like an interesting idea hmm... As I try to always say Happy Flying!!!!!!!!

SeattleNiteFlite

I got her dialed her in, extended ailerons by 1", reinforced the pod and nose w popsicle sticks, and man does she fly! 1/ throttle to take off and climb, 1/3 to fly level, a bit more to hold turns with minimal up elevator. After a tree "landing" and some down angle on the ailerons to counter the insane hi-alfa (50+ degrees pitch) it pulled taking off with 1/2 throttle & the 10" prop. I tied a 9x5 prop and missed the punch of the 10" when climbing or recovering, but enjoyed the slow and easy flight it gave.
I did my first controlled hover, rolls and pulled a loop with a 10 foot diameter at 1 /2 throttle. This model is crazy with no expo & rates and the size of the control surfaces. With 30/60 expo/dr it is nice and easier to in control. photo (4).JPG
here she is with the rest of my FT fleet.
2 scratch built FT Versa Wings
1 scratch built FT Flyer
1 speed build kit FT 3D
I previously, scratch built a FT 3D (not pictured) with Elmers FB that is 2x the weight of DTFB, and I crashed badly, folding the wings, crushed power pod, split fuselage and cracked the fire wall, after a 2+ minute white-knuckle flight (no expo/dr), of figure 8s and recovering from rolls, stalled climbs and pitchy turns. I could have flown better and maybe have saved it if I had used my rudder and rates effectively.
Until my next report,
Cheers :)

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
good job
great when it is a total scratch build
building from plans and flying a plane you built is great but it is even better when you designed it.