A ZMR250 build thread. Like a blackout but on a budget.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Update: The "Favorite Quattro 12a x 4" seems to have been the source of my problems. A while back it let out the magical smoke (for seemingly no reason. I plugged in the battery like normal and...puff). I swapped it for a "Q Brain 4x20a". I haven't had ANY problems after swapping the ESC. Before, if it hit the ground hard enough you'd hear the ESC's restart and I was having that intermittent problem of falling out of the sky...no more. It's perfect now. Still need to dial in the P/I/D a little better but aside from it being maybe a little too twitchy it's awesome. It's a freaking hot rod!!

SnowRocker88

I would open it up and secure anything that could move, it sounds like something broke off the circuit board.

Everything is all secured down well now. Most places are overkill (screws/bolts and/or glue and/or zip ties. Most places 2 out of the 3). Tucked my VTr into the frame and added an extension. Really finished it up pretty well. Now I need to go back and replace the nylon screws I've broken that mount my camera. But it's still held in securely with 2 so I'm not overly worried about it.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Good to hear its finally flying like you want it. My ZMR which was inspired by this thread (good to see it pop up again) is flying absolutely amazing. Unfortunately with the school year I haven't flown it since summer :(

SnowRocker88

Good to hear its finally flying like you want it. My ZMR which was inspired by this thread (good to see it pop up again) is flying absolutely amazing. Unfortunately with the school year I haven't flown it since summer :(
Glad the thread could be useful!

Yeah, when I fried my ESC I had it torn down for a while. I replaced the ESC and relocated the VTx then it went in my flybox and stayed there for a while. I've moved and started back in school...it sat for a while. I only recently got it back out to mess around with it. I still haven't flown much FPV since switching to a cloverleaf antenna.

The plan is to get one of the cheap-o HobbyKing FPV goggle kits and get into flying more. There's a field right beside my apartments that's perfect for a little FPV Quad action! :D

It's also time to get new batteries. My two 1300's are pretty far gone. I have my voltage alarm set high because 1 cell's voltage tends to dive before the other two in both of them. I think I flew both of them a little too long before I got my voltage alarm setup.

SnowRocker88

Anyone have some suggestions for a good budget FPV antenna setup? The pair I ordered off of Amazon are garbage. That or they've experienced FAR too much hangar rash. Either way, I need something better.

What do you guys have to suggest? Also, is it worth my time to swap channels on my vTx/vRx to see if one is stronger than others?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I use a pair of Aomway CRP antennas. The wire they are made of is very thick and the coax is bendable. So far they are holding up and the video seems clean.