A ZMR250 build thread. Like a blackout but on a budget.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Seems like at least most of the bugs are ironed out.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that has helped me along the way! Thanks guys for all the input and encouragement! This has, by far, been the most rewarding rc adventure to date. Still love my fixed wing toys but I have a feeling most of my future attention will be on multirotors.

Again, can't say thanks enough. It's made a very fun vacation even more enjoyable!! And I'm grooming family members to be rc addicts...I mean, um, 'enthusiasts'. Haha

SnowRocker88

Still have the intermittent cutting out problem. The end of this compilation is it falling from over 100' or so. Didn't break anything but a prop.

I have the ESC programmer coming in the mail so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the issue. Also, it could possibly have been that there's a good bit of WiFi transmission going on in the area I was in so it could have been that...

FPV gear should be in the mail by the 22nd or so and I ordered another battery with the ESC programmer. Either way, I'm still having a blast with this thing!! It'll be time to order new props soon enough tho.

finnen

Just got my 250 finished. Really happy with the frame from multirotormania, high quality stuff, while still on a budget.

Unfortunately it seems one of my ESC's (rctimer 12A) was either dead on arrival, or I fudged up the soldering. Under load it start to stutter, so the first flight suddenly ended in a flip into the ground. Luckily a friend has a spare esc that I can buy tomorrow, hopefully that will cure the problem. It flew beautifully while it still behaved properly, really looking forward to getting some FPV time in this. It's really nice to be able to put everything you need to fly in a backpack, this thing is tiny!

IMG_20150409_222949[1].jpg

SnowRocker88

You might want to consider relocating that vtx.

To elaborate on his comment. Most people run extensions and in-set the vTx. This keeps the vTx from seeing any direct impact in a crash. If the antenna is struck, the force only goes into the frame instead of into the frame and/or the vTx.

74290-vtx-ext.jpg

^^^Something like that except I think you'd want the vTx inside the frame a little more. In the image above the person still has the vTx connector protruding from the frame and is therefore still at risk of being struck directly.

finnen

Thanks for the tip. I don't have an extension available (will need to order on), but I attached the TX to the bottom of the top frame plate, and zip tied the antenna to the plate, so hopefully only the antenna will break if it hits, not the TX.

finnen

Now it's battle tested, and the antenna took some serious abuse, not sure the TX would have survived in the previous position :D Thanks for the keen eyes!

SnowRocker88

I've gone FPV. vTx mounting is temporary. Right now it's taped to my Tx which is floating in place. No velcro or anything. It's a nice 'floating' mount. Haha.

Going to be Team Nana flying until I decide how to mount it more permanently.

20150415_184825.jpg

I went through and re-tuned the P/I/D settings. After getting a feel for it, it seems D was far too high. My controls were, smooth, but to the point of being sluggish and didn't really notice until my movements were outpacing the reaction of the quad. Still not 100% dialed in (D is a little low now) but I'm happy for now.

Also, I ordered a programmer for the ESC so I can go through and make sure it's setup to my liking. Hopefully this will solve the 'randomly falling out of the air' problem I've been having. We shall see. Last resort I will try to re-flash blheli onto the ESC with my Arduino Uno. Hoping it doesn't come to that as it seems to be a fairly involved process.

Last edited:

jipp

To elaborate on his comment. Most people run extensions and in-set the vTx. This keeps the vTx from seeing any direct impact in a crash. If the antenna is struck, the force only goes into the frame instead of into the frame and/or the vTx.

74290-vtx-ext.jpg

^^^Something like that except I think you'd want the vTx inside the frame a little more. In the image above the person still has the vTx connector protruding from the frame and is therefore still at risk of being struck directly.

so this would be ok, as long as the antenna cable was inside the frame more? meaning the top mount would take the abuse.

anyone have a better picture of how you properly installed the FPV antenna.

chris.

SnowRocker88

so this would be ok, as long as the antenna cable was inside the frame more? meaning the top mount would take the abuse.

chris.

Yes. Basically, anything that is expensive needs to be hidden inside the frame. Assume everything sticking out is going to die eventually. If the antenna is rigidly mounted to the vTx and it is protruding from the frame then you can assume any forces from impact will go directly into the vTx as well. Adding the extension and mounting it from the top plate de-couples any impact the antenna could see from the vTx body itself.

I don't have a good picture, but this video online does a pretty good job of explaining and demonstrating vTx mounting in addition to other tips.

Last edited:

jipp

heh cute video, that is how i would make one.. thumbs up or down.. i have to admit i was expecting a thumbs down when he said carbon fiber conducts electricity, the shock sound made me jump a bit considering the whole feel of the video is mellow. heh.

i wonder how well that locator thing works. first thing that came to my mind was am i looking for a quad, or a land mind here..

also looks like i am using the wrong RX.. mind does not have satellite.. but im not planing on flying far for now.. my next build i guess ill get a satellite rx..

chris.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times

chris.

I'm not crazy about this approach either. I think anything sticking out of the frame is in danger of being ripped off.

jipp

I'm not crazy about this approach either. I think anything sticking out of the frame is in danger of being ripped off.

yeah, and of course i used the picture that my kit came with for a hint how to build it.. and the picture showed the power wires/xt60 coming out the side of it.. over time that solder joint could fail.. if i would of known what i know now i would of did it correct and ran it down the middle of the frame.. i hope ill be ok. i did look under a magnifying glass and saw no flex in the solder/board.. i think im gonna sandwich a piece of wood Popsicle sick between the PDB/solder joint of the positive and negative leads, and the frame.. i tried this a few mins ago and it gave 100 percent better feeling of securing that joint in place.. its about all i can do at this point. and a zip tie to snug it up against the frame.. etc.

chris.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
yeah, and of course i used the picture that my kit came with for a hint how to build it.. and the picture showed the power wires/xt60 coming out the side of it..

I've seen quite a few builds that do it like that.

SnowRocker88

Haha, well...first sacrifice in the name of FPV. 3 props and a motor. It's a blast to fly FPV but dang it's a new challenge. My backyard seems more than adequate when flying LOS, but FPV it seems to have shrunk dramatically. Haha. Still a blast tho.

jipp

well them are battle scars. i would think its just not being use to the new prospective?

im sorta glad im a ways away from fpv.. as i see my self doing the same thing..

chris.

SnowRocker88

well them are battle scars. i would think its just not being use to the new prospective?

im sorta glad im a ways away from fpv.. as i see my self doing the same thing..

chris.

Yea, I'd suggest going out in a field like I should have done (like I will do when it's repaired) until you get used to it. Definitely not trying to detract from FPV tho. Man, it's a wild ride! And I'm still just buzzing around like a good Team Nana member. Haven't even begun to open her up and fly at speed.