A ZMR250 build thread. Like a blackout but on a budget.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Min command is the lowest command the FC will give, Min throttle is the lowest it will allow the motors to spin (min command must always be lower than min throttle) . If you ever adjust min command or max throttle you need to recalibrate the esc's s that is the values they work off. Go into the motor tab and check what level the motors start turning (it should be around 1050) then set min throttle just above that point and see if things improve.

So, what should Min Command be set to? I don't really get that. Just something below Min Throttle or is there an actual correlation with something that I should look into?

I will check again but I did check what command made the motors spin and it was like 1150, thus I set Min Throttle to 1160.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Min command should at 1000. Min command is the lowest throttle setting the Naze will give i.e. Not armed. There is a deadband just above min command which is just an esc calibration thing and that is why the motors don't kick in.

If everything was calibrated properly I would be surprised that the motors would only kick in at 1150. Seems rather high.

SnowRocker88

Ok, so it's not the yaw settings. It fell out of the sky twice Tuesday evening. Just level flying, no punchy acceleration or yawing or anything. Could it be that I've mounted the ESC too close to the main plate and it's arcing and making a short? I don't think the plat is any closer to the ESC terminals as they are to each other...

Could it just be the software? I doubt it tho as I've never had any other ESC's do this (unless you overload the BEC which this doesn't seem to be the case).

SnowRocker88

Zip-tied my buddy's GoPro to it...and it did it again. But the audio helps a lot. Im pretty sure there's a break between the Tx and Rx. All four are cutting out. I think it's flipping because it reconnects but it's too late and it's just trying its damndest to correct but cant. I'll upload the video shortly.

Two 'fun' facts. Cop drives by right before and it crashed on the hood of my truck. Left two dents and chipped the paint...ugh, me and my toys. Haha

Anyways, I'll be setting a 'failsafe' throttle position that should help its descent enough to keep me from killing props. My fear tho is setting too high and it flying away or slightly too high and it taking a while to come down and it drifting into something. I'd rather it come down pretty hard but at least pretty level. Arm-first is getting old.

But as a testiment to both the frame and the motors, these freaking arms, and motors to a lesser extent, have been through hell and back and are still freaking perfect!!

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
You should get an RSSI alarm if the receiver and transmitter are losing connection. It will be a series of fast beeps. If you aren't hearing that when the motors cut out, it likely isn't the issue.

If you set failsafe to keep the motors spinning, it will not keep your copter from crashing. It will simply ensure that after it crashes the motors will continue to spin damaging anything or anyone it hits and not stopping until you reconnect RF or you manage to unplug the lipo while the rotors are spinning.

The 'Stop the motors' approach is much more simple to deal with after the crash.

Can you post the Mobius video?

SnowRocker88

You should get an RSSI alarm if the receiver and transmitter are losing connection. It will be a series of fast beeps. If you aren't hearing that when the motors cut out, it likely isn't the issue.

If you set failsafe to keep the motors spinning, it will not keep your copter from crashing. It will simply ensure that after it crashes the motors will continue to spin damaging anything or anyone it hits and not stopping until you reconnect RF or you manage to unplug the lipo while the rotors are spinning.

The 'Stop the motors' approach is much more simple to deal with after the crash.

Can you post the Mobius video?

Do I need the buzzer hooked up for the RSSI alarm to work? Also, I haven't enabled the RSSI option, I think. I'll have to hook it up and see.

Quad

I believe someone here as purchased it. I am considering this as my next quad once it comes back in stock which should be any day...

I just received two of these... They look great... Have not tried any tests on them..

SnowRocker88

Adding a layer of tape over my receiver has seemed to solve the problem. It seems that it was shorting out on the stand-offs for the frame of the quad and it would temporarily loose signal. Since I have done that, I haven't experienced any more issues. This thing is a blast to fly. Even flew it yesterday in some strong winds and it was great. Way more than I can say for my Storch in the wind.

jipp

ouch, man your truck almost took a nice dent?
it did not sound to healthy in the air, i could be wrong tho... did you find out what happen?
chris.

SnowRocker88

ouch, man your truck almost took a nice dent?
it did not sound to healthy in the air, i could be wrong tho... did you find out what happen?
chris.

Almost? No, it put two healthy dents in the hood. Bummed me out but whatever, it's a truck...haha.

It flies well. It was borderline struggling with the weight and I was very nervous yawing with the extra load. The camera was a GoPro with a full hard shell case on it. A decent payload. And on top of that, it made the quad pretty unbalanced.

jipp

yeah i agree trucks are meant to be used. hell my fav truck was a 1980GMC i bought from a old guy who was blind in his one eye, and there was not a single strait spot on the passenger side of the truck.. the rest of the truck perfect! but the passenger side was beat to hell because the guy could not see out one of his eyes so his depth perspective was off or so he told me.. for all i know he was drunk.. anyhow, it was such a great truck. i loved that thing till a drunk indian on the reservation hit me head on.. i lost my fav truck, i will replace it with another one day, but not to many 1980 GMC pick up trucks on the road these days :D

chris.

SnowRocker88

Well, again it fell...but this time the receiver is done. It will no longer bind with my transmitter. I will order a new one and hopefully that will fix my problem.

So, this is what it was doing when I retrieved it from the crash site. And just to note, my failsafe is set to zero throttle. It was doing this all on its own.

SnowRocker88

Both failsafes?

I never setup the on-board failsafe so it's whatever the default is. I thought it was inactive unless enabled.

Side note, new receiver ordered and my camera came in. But the receiver purchase is going to delay the fpv Rx/Tx order. :/

HawkMan

I never setup the on-board failsafe so it's whatever the default is. I thought it was inactive unless enabled.

Side note, new receiver ordered and my camera came in. But the receiver purchase is going to delay the fpv Rx/Tx order. :/

What radio system do you have ?

I know on frsky you set the failsafe on the TX. on multi's or other craft with flight controllers it should as I understand it be set to not transfer any pulses when it loses connection, then the FC failsafe will activate(TauLabs actually tests the failsafe during setup so I know that works for me)

SnowRocker88

What radio system do you have ?

I know on frsky you set the failsafe on the TX. on multi's or other craft with flight controllers it should as I understand it be set to not transfer any pulses when it loses connection, then the FC failsafe will activate(TauLabs actually tests the failsafe during setup so I know that works for me)

Just a dumb ol Spektrum Dx5e. No computer controlled settings. And my FC is a Naze32 running Cleanflight.

SnowRocker88

A little GoPro action while on vacation! Got my new CPPM receiver installed. Working great!

Don't mind the Team Nana level of piloting. It's not my GoPro and it'd kill me to break it.

Last edited: