ABC STEM Trifecta Group Build

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I had the A-22 on the bench for a bit because I stole the C pack motor out of it to play with the Spear. Maiden toss on the Spear didn't go so well, and in the end the dog busted the prop shaft clean off the motor... don't ask, long story.

Anyway I did a bunch of flights with the Sportster over the past 24 hrs and finally got the knife edge thing goin. Going, not perfected, but got it figured out. And at the end of the last flight this afternoon the Sportster hit a tree and damaged the left wing. Not a big deal totally fixable.

So given I am down to one motor and I need to put a plane together I took the motor off the Sportster and put it on the A-22. Now this is the first time this plane has seen this motor, it is larger and more powerful then the C pack motor and has another 100Kv then it as well. I am getting excited just wondering how fast this plane will go. I had one 2200 3s charged up so off I go to test it out.

HOLY CRAP is this fast! I had it trimmed out for level flight at 65% throttle, got a few laps to get the feel for it again, didn't take long, and then I laid the coals to her... it screamed by and kept climbing! I was totally not expecting that much of a difference in top speed. It was amazing! And out of the pocket it has launch. I got some low passes in, and the differential drag helps it carve through corners now, not trip around them. Super satisfied and running out of juice i brought it around, turning over trees, for a landing. I momentarily lost orientation in the setting sun and didn't see how low it was and tried to pull up. In the panic of the situation things got a little spinney in the air over the trees and the plane did a lofty drop into a spruce tree, damn it.

I will be able to get it out tomorrow. It's dark now but i think i have some stuff here to make a long enough stick to poke it out. Hopefully i didn't damage it a lot trying to throw things at it. Till tomorrow (y)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
When is it ever fast enough o_O:LOL:
If you want speed try flying 4-5 feet off the ground. @JGplanes white diamond that I fly a lot, is not particularly fast in open air but when you are close to the ground, man does it look like and feel fast. You have to react very quickly to keep it in the air so it keeps you on your toes and when you start throwing in lots of consecutive turns...what an adrenaline rush!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you want speed try flying 4-5 feet off the ground. @JGplanes white diamond that I fly a lot, is not particularly fast in open air but when you are close to the ground, man does it look like and feel fast. You have to react very quickly to keep it in the air so it keeps you on your toes and when you start throwing in lots of consecutive turns...what an adrenaline rush!!
Good suggestion... but I already have a fast plane. Close to the ground and in the air, lol. And it definitely pumped the adrenaline. Fastest most powerful plane I have flown.

I just have to get it out of a tree tomorrow.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Good suggestion... but I already have a fast plane. Close to the ground and in the air, lol. And it definitely pumped the adrenaline. Fastest most powerful plane I have flown.

I just have to get it out of a tree tomorrow.
My Charlie will be more of an all arounder/ stable basic sportster and possible onboard camera platform, but I've got a need for some speed in my fleet too now. My new slender delta delivers huge for an 1806. I'll try to get some longer full throttle passes. My '39 special and Vulcan have a high top speed, and the Arrowhead is no slouch either, though a bit slower. The slender delta tops them all in top speed though! Most of the other planes on the same motor are pretty quiet, but at full throttle that thing screams! Any more speed and it'd be a bit sketch for my flying field size to fly full throttle, its just right and a bit hair-raising. With properly scaled thrust to weight and size, I'd like to see what a slender delta could do with a really powerful setup. Maybe a big high KV motor on 4s with a smaller diameter, extra aggressive prop. Maybe we should go for broke and try some of our custom designs or scaled up Trifecta jets @CarolineTyler style with a 70mm EDF on 6s that goes

1572491059715.png

Vimana89

Legendary member
So I've got a 2806 Graupner 1900KV motor I could use for the Charlie, compared to options of getting a 2806 2300KV or FT Radial 2205 2300KV I can buy for the same price. I plan to use 6x4.5x2 bullnose props, and most likely run on standard 3s, though I'm half tempted to try 4s. I'm thinking the higher KV motors would be more efficient?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I've got a 2806 Graupner 1900KV motor I could use for the Charlie, compared to options of getting a 2806 2300KV or FT Radial 2205 2300KV I can buy for the same price. I plan to use 6x4.5x2 bullnose props, and most likely run on standard 3s, though I'm half tempted to try 4s. I'm thinking the higher KV motors would be more efficient?
The Graupner motor with the 6x4.5 prop will be lots for the Charlie, especially how you want to fly it. It will have more torque, even with less rpm the higher pitch on the prop will make up for it. And it will be nuts on 4s, hang on to your shorts kinda nuts! Given what I got outta mine and what @The Hangar has done to his, you are guaranteed to enjoy yours.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Finally here. I went through a bit of scratch/custom burnout/non-inspiration for a bit...but I'm totally stoked to dig into another FT kit, escpecially this one, and especially after how much fun I've been having with their DR1. I got a brand new 2205 in this box, but I think this Charlie is getting my Graupner 2806 1900kv with a brand new receiver and ESC. Starting work soon, gonna load up the build video and prime myself a bit and keep it on hand to go back to parts I need. The Charlie is not rocket science, but a bit bigger and more involved to build than most of my custom stuff so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Awesome. This thread is going to get a resurgence soon. I really want to get the Charlie flying good because I haven't seen a single video of somebody really thoroughly flying it. It's probably actually a really nice bird, maybe more will want to try it if I make it shine.
I like how excited you are getting on this one! I am sure once you have it built you will really want to fly it, then once you fly it you will want to push the boundaries out some and fly it harder then the Nancy's you have seen in the vids. It will be a welcome change to the usual flying platforms I have seen from your hangar. I am really anticipating the build and the maiden, it will be fun to follow and watch. Even more fun for you to fly it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I like how excited you are getting on this one! I am sure once you have it built you will really want to fly it, then once you fly it you will want to push the boundaries out some and fly it harder then the Nancy's you have seen in the vids. It will be a welcome change to the usual flying platforms I have seen from your hangar. I am really anticipating the build and the maiden, it will be fun to follow and watch. Even more fun for you to fly it.
It will definitely be refreshing! I spend a lot of hobby time on custom work and have limited storage space, so I choose my FT birds carefully to be unique and round out my fleet by filling a niche I don't have and probably wouldn't attempt to build or design myself for a while to come. The DR1 is a good example of that, being completely different from the other planes I have. In fact, I am going to go check the wind after this and see if I can test that 5x5.5x3 Hulkie I put on the other day properly. The Charlie is a stable, all-around prop in slot jet with basically what amounts to a forward swept wing, or a compound wing with a delta/LERX thing combined with forward swept tip or canards or however you want to refer to it, so it's something new to me(y).