ABC STEM Trifecta Group Build

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
On mine I did something close to the same but ironed tapers into the canopy just to catch more air.
20191020_190145.jpg

You can actually see right inside. never had an over heating issue

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
About to fire up the electronics and screw in the servos and dial her in for maiden. I have to find somewhere that tells me what the recommended CG is. This "speed build" kit took a lot of hours, as the build involves a lot more desperate parts and sophisticated techniques than my own designs or the DR1. Impressions? Ingenious, slick, and clean, and well engineered.but for my my style of not using programs or laser cutters, something like this would be a nightmare to draw up by hand if I were designing a similar build with all the tabs and slots(no prob with the kit though). Even printed plans would be tedious with all those cuts. Those nose is gorgeously designed, but is a tough technique to master. Way too many bevel cuts going on throughout🙄. I tend to design minimalistic in terms of tabs and slots and separate small parts. That's more subjective stuff related to preference. Objectively, only thing I'd change about the design is add some actual air flow from the intakes into the electronics bay, which I did.
Great build!!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Big prop stash, sticks to mash, Charlie's back from maiden with no crash(y)(y)(y)
This bird flies just as advertised/just as Josh maidened it briefly in the build video. If I had to use one word or short phrase to describe this plane, "rock steady" would be it. There's no damage and I had no issues aside from needing to practice landing a little better. I couldn't get this plane to axial roll at all, the roll rate is very slow...barrel rolls are out of this world though! I think this would make a great onboard or FPV platform. Other than that, for a dedicated trainer/ every day casual flyer you can't beat the Charlie.

Bricks

Master member
I thought of this when I was building mine and it makes sense since I ended u building 6 or nose sections for my prop and slot adventure. All said and done the impact energy has to go somewhere and if it isn't the nose it would be deeper in the plane and harder to fix or replace

Not to the extent you think as the foam is not rigid it will give some and absorb more of the energy, at a slower rate, and spread the energy thru the nose. Now if you are going as tight as possible straight in then nothing is going to save the plane.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looks like a nice clean build :)
Thanks man, looking at the pic now I really mods it, I did meet an early demise when I put the 3536 1200 Kv on the 8x8 prop on it and staples over some trees. That's where it landed and once I poked it out of the tree with a 40' pole and it came to the ground it blew apart on impact lol. But it does look like it's doin 90mph standing still doesn't it.

Not to the extent you think as the foam is not rigid it will give some and absorb more of the energy, at a slower rate, and spread the energy thru the nose. Now if you are going as tight as possible straight in then nothing is going to save the plane.
On one of the new noses I built for the FT-22, which is a much simpler design then the STEM planes, I did beef up the nose using doublers and a FB box section to hold it all together. This was good on the nose but moved the impact further back to where the intakes where it was a little more of an involved fix then just cutting off the nose and replacing it. Mind you like you said every crash is different so it all depends. On the next new one I will start out by using the expanding foam in the nose and see where that goes. Actually just thinking bout it that stuff isn't that hard to carve out. If the entire front was filled then dug out for the battery, at least you would have some in the side walls to help dissipate some energy as well. What do you think?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Big prop stash, sticks to mash, Charlie's back from maiden with no crash(y)(y)(y)
This bird flies just as advertised/just as Josh maidened it briefly in the build video. If I had to use one word or short phrase to describe this plane, "rock steady" would be it. There's no damage and I had no issues aside from needing to practice landing a little better. I couldn't get this plane to axial roll at all, the roll rate is very slow...barrel rolls are out of this world though! I think this would make a great onboard or FPV platform. Other than that, for a dedicated trainer/ every day casual flyer you can't beat the Charlie.
Well I guess you didn't need a stash of props or any glue in the end. Great maiden buddy. It looked good, almost no trim, and you flew it like a champ. I am so happy you liked this one. Is this a bit of a departure from what you are used to?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Well I guess you didn't need a stash of props or any glue in the end. Great maiden buddy. It looked good, almost no trim, and you flew it like a champ. I am so happy you liked this one. Is this a bit of a departure from what you are used to?
Very much so. The most similar handling is my Vulcan, in that is has elevons and is somewhat wide and stable. After that it's a total departure, way more stable than the Vulcan and slower/less axial rolls. This is like the DR1 in that it brings something new and unique to the table to round out my fleet.

Vimana89

Legendary member
If anyone's curious as to my setup, It's a Graupner 2806 Ultra 1900KV motor, Lumenier "slow fly" 6x4x2 prop, and 850 mAh 3s battery. My wing is fixed and non-removable, and so is my motor mount, which is mounted without the inner power pod. Really a pretty basic setup, not the exact motor(s) FT recommends, but nothing crazy. At the moment my CG is a hair forward of FT's recommended 14" back from nose.

mayan

Legendary member
Apart from being blinded by the sun a few times that was the best Chralie video I have seen, great flying!

I still need to get back to this project and now that I have a new F pack motor I probably will too :).

Vimana89

Legendary member
Apart from being blinded by the sun a few times that was the best Chralie video I have seen, great flying!

I still need to get back to this project and now that I have a new F pack motor I probably will too :).
Definitely a fun plane when you get it flying right. The only flaw if you can call it that, I think it's on the other ones too, is no prop wash on the elevons. The only time this was a problem was while trying to turn on low speed against moderate winds, just throttle up and turns are fine👍

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Definitely a fun plane when you get it flying right. The only flaw if you can call it that, I think it's on the other ones too, is no prop wash on the elevons. The only time this was a problem was while trying to turn on low speed against moderate winds, just throttle up and turns are fine👍
That's where physically the only reason the 22 was better at handling in my opinion. I am stoked you liked the Charlie

Vimana89

Legendary member
Hey brother
I want to try the jet type now
What do you recommend the Charlie or the mini F22?
which one flies slower?
Depends on how you would set it up, but in general, the Charlie would be more stable and have a tendency to cruise fairly slow. The f-22 would be a little less stable but more maneuverable, but would have a decent slow fly envelope if set up right. I think it's mostly down to preference and how you build/prop.

Javiester

Elite member
Depends on how you would set it up, but in general, the Charlie would be more stable and have a tendency to cruise fairly slow. The f-22 would be a little less stable but more maneuverable, but would have a decent slow fly envelope if set up right. I think it's mostly down to preference and how you build/prop.

the F22 has to be the mini version, I have no space to store them

Vimana89

Legendary member
Would still be fine small planes are a bit more sensitive but can fly slow just fine. I have 8 planes of different types, all in that same size range. A lot are my own design but I have a Charlie and DR1.The STEM jets aren't much bigger than mini size if at all, so you will have a similarly sized and powered bird either way.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If I was you I would look at the Vector. It has the size you are looking for and is really easy to set the balance, which means if you set the balance back and prop down you have a great slow fly plane, if you set the battery forward and prop up it will need the speed to fly but is way more stable. Plus the Vector also has a hidden rudder

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
If I was you I would look at the Vector. It has the size you are looking for and is really easy to set the balance, which means if you set the balance back and prop down you have a great slow fly plane, if you set the battery forward and prop up it will need the speed to fly but is way more stable. Plus the Vector also has a hidden rudder
The vector is a great slow flying plane, I got mine to fly at 0mph pretty easily.