Any 3d or just not this 3d ?

sundown57

Legendary member
I also had major problems after updating to 4.5. I was finally able to get it right by adjusting both retraction distance and retraction prime amount. It took me a while to realize that if you change one you also have to change the other. I made a small, fast printing test for it. but your part looks more like under extrusion, either your extrusion is to low or the z offset has moved. I would run a bed level test first then run the tower test I made. its only a 15-minute print and it worked well for me to get my walls smooth and no stringing. with the bed leveling print you can adjust your z offset as its printing to get the best results.

Attachments

• Bed_Levelling.stl.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
  • tower test2.stl.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 0

whackflyer

Master member
Hey all, I'm needing some input. The other day I was cleaning up my heating block and the whole assembly down there on my Ender 3X. Somehow it appears I shorted the thermosistor wires, as sparks were emitted from near the thermosistor. Immediately the hotend temp reading went to -14*. I needed a new hotend anyway, so I ordered another, with a new heating cartridge and thermosistor. Problem solved, or so I thought. I got the new hotend yesterday, plugged it all in, and it still reads -14*. Did I fry my main board? Somewhere I read that if this happens it usually fries the main board. Just looking for some input before I order a new board.

@localfiend @Andrew @sundown57 @Zetoyoc @Grifflyer @kilroy07@Wildthing

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hey all, I'm needing some input. The other day I was cleaning up my heating block and the whole assembly down there on my Ender 3X. Somehow it appears I shorted the thermosistor wires, as sparks were emitted from near the thermosistor. Immediately the hotend temp reading went to -14*. I needed a new hotend anyway, so I ordered another, with a new heating cartridge and thermosistor. Problem solved, or so I thought. I got the new hotend yesterday, plugged it all in, and it still reads -14*. Did I fry my main board? Somewhere I read that if this happens it usually fries the main board. Just looking for some input before I order a new board.

@localfiend @Andrew @sundown57 @Zetoyoc @Grifflyer @kilroy07@Wildthing

The sparks worry me that you might have damaged the mother board. I have had a thermistor quit and mine did almost the same thing, temp read low so it kept full power going to the hotend trying to heat it up and you could tell things were getting way to hot and temp still read low. Take the mother board of and see if you can see any burnt leads in the circuit board, if you have a ohm meter tool you could check for continuity following the little paths to possibly locate a burnt circuit. I have repaired circuit boards before buy scraping of the plastic coating and doing a quick little soldering job.

whackflyer

Master member
The sparks worry me that you might have damaged the mother board. I have had a thermistor quit and mine did almost the same thing, temp read low so it kept full power going to the hotend trying to heat it up and you could tell things were getting way to hot and temp still read low. Take the mother board of and see if you can see any burnt leads in the circuit board, if you have a ohm meter tool you could check for continuity following the little paths to possibly locate a burnt circuit. I have repaired circuit boards before buy scraping of the plastic coating and doing a quick little soldering job.
I'll see what I can do with a voltage tester. I couldn't see any burned spots on top of the motherboard but I haven't taken it out and looked at the bottom. I may end up just ordering a silent main board from creality cuz I want one anyway.

sundown57

Legendary member
I'll see what I can do with a voltage tester. I couldn't see any burned spots on top of the motherboard but I haven't taken it out and looked at the bottom. I may end up just ordering a silent main board from creality cuz I want one anyway.
if you do order a new board make sure it is for the printer you are going to use it on and insist it comes with a bootloader. it will save you a lot of grief.

whackflyer

Master member
if you do order a new board make sure it is for the printer you are going to use it on and insist it comes with a bootloader. it will save you a lot of grief.
This is the one I'll get. Should be plug and play
Screenshot_20200407-124033.jpg

whackflyer

Master member
Got it fixed! Shorting the old thermosistor didn't zap the main board. To get to the old thermosistor and heater block wires unhooked, I had to also unhook the wires for the two fans on the hotend carriage. When hooking them and the new parts wires up, I got the print cooling fan and thermosistor plugs reversed. I looked at a wiring diagram and realized I had them reversed. Just put them back in the right sockets and I have a working printer!