Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Crazed Scout Pilot

I have been really busy lately but i'm still working on the SU 34 and the Rafale. If you have not seen my Rafale thread check it out.

LitterBug

Techno Nut

LitterBug

Do you have a homemade battery welder or a ready-made one? According to the photo, it cooks very well, even burns. My 11-year-old daughter was given an electric motorcycle and I want to cook her a battery.While riding on my airplane model batteries 2200 mA 3S .By the summer I want to make a new FPV carrier with a span of 2m on a battery with a set of 18650 . Drawing will be - Storm Chaser

1700010695196.png

I picked up an AWithZ all in one USB rechargeable welder for $50. I've found it works best on manual mode. Automatic is not consistant.

LB

Shurik-1960

I assembled the stabilizers and keels. I assembled the wing. I started gluing the end of the fuselage.

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
  • DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG

mastermalpass

Master member
Been spending a lot of time designing planes instead of building them, when I realised I’m designing all of them with techniques I haven’t tried yet.

So, decided to jump right into throwing something together that vaguely resembles an early 30s fighter and try out some of the methods.

IMG_0645.jpeg

The main focus on this experiment is the wings. Trying a single layer of foam curved, held in shape with formers, to be cladded on the underside with acetate.

IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

Before cladding the underside, I of course need to add the aileron servos… and let’s install some split flaps as well, hmm… the weight’s going up, better add a carbon spar in and… Ah why not add LEDs in as well?

IMG_0649.jpeg

Prooobably a bit ambitious for a wing this small, but we’ll see how it flies! 😃

Brian B

Elite member
Been spending a lot of time designing planes instead of building them, when I realised I’m designing all of them with techniques I haven’t tried yet.

So, decided to jump right into throwing something together that vaguely resembles an early 30s fighter and try out some of the methods.

View attachment 240955

The main focus on this experiment is the wings. Trying a single layer of foam curved, held in shape with formers, to be cladded on the underside with acetate.

View attachment 240956
View attachment 240957

Before cladding the underside, I of course need to add the aileron servos… and let’s install some split flaps as well, hmm… the weight’s going up, better add a carbon spar in and… Ah why not add LEDs in as well?

View attachment 240958

Prooobably a bit ambitious for a wing this small, but we’ll see how it flies! 😃
If nothing else it will make a good demonstration model to illustrate component installation! Topsides looked great though. 😉

Shurik-1960

4 servomechanisms x 11 grams (weight with wires) = 44 grams. If you have a lot of servomechanisms (I have the opposite: there are always not enough servomechanisms for my projects))), and there is still a lot of space in the wing - you can do: drop bombs, air brake flaps and just paste for beauty)))).Installing a servo mechanism in your wing to the right side of the wing is not symmetrical to the left side of the wing and will give a weight load on the wing to the right. I'm not criticizing.No offense. I am a supporter: if you want to do something, you need to do it!!

mastermalpass

Master member
Installing a servo mechanism in your wing to the right side of the wing is not symmetrical to the left side of the wing and will give a weight load on the wing to the right. I'm not criticizing.No offense. I am a supporter: if you want to do something, you need to do it!!

Yeah, there’s a challenge with flaps; unless I open a servo up and reverse it by the circuitry, both servos need to face the same way, if they’re on a Y-link, but they link to the same point on the flaps. Meaning I have a whole servo on the other side of the link point, resulting in quite an asymmetric Lay out.

Hopefully as it’s just 9 grams about a servo’s-width further from the wing root, the imbalance shouldn’t be too noticeable.

A bigger balancing challenge is battery placement. I designed the fuselage to lean the battery tray a good 7cm ahead of the wing leading edge, allowing for decisive nose weight from the battery.

IMG_0660.jpeg

I also set it up to carry the ESC just under the motor so I can model an ‘oil radiator’ for cooling. Plus it also adds nose weight.

IMG_0658.jpeg

But what I didn’t think about was if I’m putting the motor that much further ahead of the wings, its weight is now on a longer lever. So, now the battery needs to be more above the wings for the COG to be correct. At least it’s always easier to add weight to the tail. 😅 I’m not planning on flying with that big 2200mAh battery, but I’ll still need to think about where I put the tail servos.

One thing I am quite proud of though; my theory of glueing tin foil to the foam surfaces facing the LEDs, to prevent the light bleeding through the foam, seems to have worked! 😁

IMG_0661.jpeg

Shurik-1960

In such models with a wide fuselage, I always put servomechanisms in the area of the cockpit lamp using long rods (bamboo skewers or 0.8 wire in a bowden from a pile of ear sticks). I used to overweight models with excessive strength until I realized that models should have a WEIGHT CULTURE. The models began to fly adequately and without accidents.

mastermalpass

Master member
Last week saw some work on the tail. The stabilisers sanded off and control surface hinges cut. With the vertical stab slotting into the fuselage core. Also sank a white LED into it.

IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

After a lot of ‘uhming’ and ‘uhing’ to figure out where the tail servos will go, I decided on having them poking out of the fuse like on the BipePipe. Leaving some space inside for the lighting control board.

IMG_0672.jpeg

Today I made a start on the outer fuse. Going for three pieces, connecting at the leading and trailing edges of the wing.

IMG_0678.jpeg

Wasn’t sure how a slim fuselage would turn out but I’m quite liking how it looks so far. :)

IMG_0679.jpeg

IMG_0680.jpeg

AgentC

Elite member
Our first dumping of snow for the season bought out a new task...
EZ Snow Skimmer!
PXL_20231128_212103007.jpg PXL_20231128_212051389.jpg

Made from an old used food tray, and a canopy from a Sharpie's packaging.

On very soft and fluffy snow it took a bit to get going, but on anything compact, it zipped around like a kid on a Halloween candy sugar rush.

Below is the very fluffy snow component:
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

hankflies03

Our first dumping of snow for the season bought out a new task...
EZ Snow Skimmer!
View attachment 241106 View attachment 241107

Made from an old used food tray, and a canopy from a Sharpie's packaging.

On very soft and fluffy snow it took a bit to get going, but on anything compact, it zipped around like a kid on a Halloween candy sugar rush.

Below is the very fluffy snow component:
View attachment 241105
Looks like it does pretty well! I wonder how it would perform on the EZ v2 and maybe some short wings for going over jumps.

Shurik-1960

Slowly I continue to assemble the F18 according to the drawing of Julius Peredan.Books are our EVERYTHING . There are more than 1000 books in my library and I have read everything. My daughter has not read for 12 years and so that books do not gather dust on the shelf, I use them when modeling.

Attachments

• DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG

ray574

Great build. The prop-slot are fun, like the FT mini F-22. I have yet to build the 3 jets - FT MS F-16, F-18 & F-14 that I got before they're gone. I have everything to complete them as well. But I need to get into the groove for them. I just completed the MS P-51 enlarged to 1450mm and included "Old Crow" decals, canopy, exhaust, pilot, cowling, & they even had a 2 blade spinner which works for belly landings. I didn't want to spend $100 on retracts for this. I added dowel to the wing leading edge, covering with paper removed from inside of wings. Funny how the Parkzone P-51 over-sized pilot fits perfectly. He survived the demise of the original PZ when it tip-stalled & blew apart upon impact from 30' up. The original (prior to the brushless model) was thin foam formed shell with very little bracing. I also put dowel on the original FT MS Corsair. Had to get them wet and form shape of wing with a jig I made with wood & nails to frame shape while drying. The double wasp engine detail was just a foam ring (donut) with wedges of foam (paper removed) and grooves pressed into them glued around engine hole I just printed plans at Kinko's for the MS Corsair enlarged to 1700mm. For this I have all the parts from FMS (purchased 5 years ago), including pushrods, retracts & gear doors for full completion, as well as for the FMS 1700mm Mustang, but I want to do the Corsair first.

Attachments

• IMG_7061.jpg
    IMG_7061.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7065.jpg
    IMG_7065.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1700mm.jpg
    1700mm.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ray574

Great build, like the FT F-22, prop slots are fun, I put a quadcopter motor into the mini FT F-22 and it's faster than the regular one. I like actual EDF in jets, but I have yet to build the 3 limited FT MS F-16, F-18 & F-14 that I got before they're gone. I have everything to complete them, but need to get into the groove first. I just completed the MS P-51 enlarged to 1450mm (57 inches!) which is large for a belly lander since it needs hand-launched. I finished it in the "Old Crow" livery, got parts from Motion RC to make it a finished model - they even had the 2 blade version spinner for belly landings. I took Josh's advice and put dowel on the wing leading edge & covered with the paper removed from the inside of wings. This works better than tape for a finished look. I also used John Overstreet's idea for the tail feathers, doubling with extra paper to make hinge on both elevator & Rudder, it makes for a nice finish. The pilot is a survivor from the original Parkzone Mustang which blew apart when it wing-tip stalled from 30' up. It was made from thin 18" foam shell with little reinforcement, but the oversized pilot works well with larger models. I just had Kinkos print the plans for the MS Corsair yesterday, enlarged to 1700mm (67 inches!) & have all the FMS parts complete with retracts. I also obtained everything for the FMS 1700mm P-51, a simpler completion, but I want to do the Corsair first. I'll have to record this build for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7061.jpg
    IMG_7061.jpg