Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Crazed Scout Pilot

Not many cheap kits around. Look at Brodak, wide assortment.

But from what I've seen of your ability, go straight to plans and cut out your own. An excellent first kit, because of the EXTREMELY detailed instructions, is the original 40" Lazy Bee. The ribs and parts are huge and forgiving to cut out, compared to other designs, useful if you are new to Exacto #11s cutting balsa. Should be able to pickup all the required balsa at Hobby Lobby, and even with today's prices, total amount is very small for that plane.

If interested, go to this site (I love Outerzone!!!), and download the plans and all supplements.
Thank you I really appreciate it… I’ll look into it

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Well, the scout is going well I’m not too pleased with the covering but it’s decent. got some great tips on how to trim it and should be putting on the top wing tomorrow.
3E2F8C08-755F-470D-9D0E-669F937E7AAB.jpeg
190D8385-023C-43CD-8F22-B43F43061D61.jpeg
00381FCC-C28D-4996-A3DD-8250FFB440B4.jpeg

Attachments

• 67A54FE4-7F0E-41E8-84A3-1C1BFA8CA975.jpeg
    67A54FE4-7F0E-41E8-84A3-1C1BFA8CA975.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
Your planes look great....keep it up!! I'd recommend looking into Pat's Custom Models. Pat lives close to me and flys at the same field. His planes are ultralightweight and would be suitable for free flight or RC with light weight gear. I bought his Nieuport 28 and its a great plane. You can find him here.

I would also recomend you start hanging out on RCGroups too. Some great threads there on scale scratch building.

Brian B

Elite member
Your planes look great....keep it up!! I'd recommend looking into Pat's Custom Models. Pat lives close to me and flys at the same field. His planes are ultralightweight and would be suitable for free flight or RC with light weight gear. I bought his Nieuport 28 and its a great plane. You can find him here.

I would also recomend you start hanging out on RCGroups too. Some great threads there on scale scratch building.
Wow, Mr. Tritle himself! I love his work! My style of build.

skymaster

Elite member
After getting the hang of 3D printing well i still have a few more things to learn. But last night i started assembling my eclipson type A free version, and i finished builoding the fuselage for the p51 hybrid and Bf109 hybrid design these have the fusalage 3d printed and the wings and elevator and ruder made of foamboard. these were design by tammeo on thingiverse .

Attachments

• IMG-20210508-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210508-WA0002.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

MJSantito

In the preliminary stages of building a Beaver in floats. Starting with the floats first and the rigging. First float came out pretty good but the second one I'll build it as a top half and bottom half instead of trying to keep it as one piece.

Attachments

• PXL_20231220_161813046.jpg
    PXL_20231220_161813046.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231220_164936466.jpg
    PXL_20231220_164936466.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

MJSantito

Definitely went together easier! The glue lines are still pretty long for the bottom sections. Trying to put it on heavy enough so it doesn't cool down too much but also keeps the seems sealed tight.

Attachments

• PXL_20231220_204725320.jpg
    PXL_20231220_204725320.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231220_210337181.jpg
    PXL_20231220_210337181.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

ColoFlyer

i finished builoding the fuselage for the p51 hybrid and Bf109 hybrid design these have the fusalage 3d printed and the wings and elevator and ruder made of foamboard. these were design by tammeo on thingiverse .

I was thinking about printing these Hybrid planes and wondering how they might fly. I would definitely like to hear back from you once you get them in the air get your opinion on if they are worth printing. Please let us know.
Did you have any issues assembling them? When I looked at the STLs, It appeared that some of the fuselage assembly pins or holes were missing on a few parts.

skymaster

Elite member
I was thinking about printing these Hybrid planes and wondering how they might fly. I would definitely like to hear back from you once you get them in the air get your opinion on if they are worth printing. Please let us know.
Did you have any issues assembling them? When I looked at the STLs, It appeared that some of the fuselage assembly pins or holes were missing on a few parts.
on the mustang the holes are missing on the bridge part but if you put where it goes between the two parts that hold the wings mark it and then just glue it. I don't have any filament that can handle the heat from the motor so I'm thinking of Gluing a wood firewall to the printed one. and on the holes, it says to use toothpicks to align the holes, did that but while going through a bad role of PLA that was given to me, and it had some bad parts that were becoming brittle. I graved a piece and looked at the parts to be assemble and guess what the freaking thing fit nicely in the holes, sometimes you need to open them up a little bit with a drill bit or if you have a pointy piece of wire or screwdriver to open it up a little it works better than the toothpick.