Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Shurik-1960

A package arrived with servomechanisms wire extensions, installed and sealed the top.I wrapped it with duct tape and an iron.
I'm a little disappointed- the model turned out to be heavy. The wing and top of the model would have to be sewn with foam 3mm thick.
The weight of the airframe is 520 grams, the weight of the battery is 180 grams, the planned weight of the regulator + motor is 100 grams.The planned flight weight is 850-900 grams.

Based on the planned flight weight, I am looking for a motor that I will order on aliexpress. I will seal the bottom after installing the motor and regulator . The battery will be inserted into the nose through a hatch in the lower part of the fuselage.

mastermalpass

Elite member
A package arrived with servomechanisms wire extensions, installed and sealed the top.I wrapped it with duct tape and an iron.
I'm a little disappointed- the model turned out to be heavy. The wing and top of the model would have to be sewn with foam 3mm thick.
The weight of the airframe is 520 grams, the weight of the battery is 180 grams, the planned weight of the regulator + motor is 100 grams.The planned flight weight is 850-900 grams.

Based on the planned flight weight, I am looking for a motor that I will order on aliexpress. I will seal the bottom after installing the motor and regulator . The battery will be inserted into the nose through a hatch in the lower part of the fuselage.

Oohf, I thought my plane was on the heavy size for its wingspan. 900g on, what is that, a 900mm wing span? It’s less than double the height of that sofa-back and I’m guessing the sofa back is only 500mm up from the seat. Hopefully that big curvy airfoil + blended body will supply enough lift to at least get slightly floaty. But inverted flight and high-alpha will definitely be tricky.

But otherwise, it looks really slick and with that glossy skin you’ve given it, I bet it will slice through the air at 90mph easily. Who knows, if you master it, the weight could be a bonus, it looks like it would handle a 20mph wind very well if flown right.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Unfortunately I won’t be building larger models, I recently had a shop fire. There is a bit of damage. I’ll be quiet for a bit, thanks all
06453293-587B-4AF4-98A7-EB0041626807.jpeg

Tench745

Master member
Unfortunately I won’t be building larger models, I recently had a shop fire. There is a bit of damage. I’ll be quiet for a bit, thanks all View attachment 242805
Ooof. Looks like you used a dry-chamical fire extinguisher. Get that stuff off everything you care about as quickly as you can. It's corrosive and electrically conductive. I've heard stories of nearly finished homebuilt airplanes having to be completely scrapped when a fire extinguisher was used.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
Ooof. Looks like you used a dry-chamical fire extinguisher. Get that stuff off everything you care about as quickly as you can. It's corrosive and electrically conductive. I've heard stories of nearly finished homebuilt airplanes having to be completely scrapped when a fire extinguisher was used.
Oh man, thanks I didn’t know!

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I got a bit on the quakers covering, it was in the back of the shop. Will it be fine with a quick clean?

mastermalpass

Elite member
This evening I went to scrap the plane I crashed the other day when I found only the battery hatch and fuse forward of the wing has been damaged. So, I think I’ll remake the front and see if I can’t make it stronger and more spacious.

Before that though, the Sig Kadet has been patiently waiting much longer for its motor to be remounted and the nose repaired. And I figured I’d redesign the front while I’m at it. The bonnet will now slope down a bit to allow a better view for the cockpit camera. The horizontal stab has always been a bit wobbly in it’s current ‘disassemble-able configuration’ and the wire access hatch a bit small, so I plan to make some changes there that will no doubt add a bit of tail weight. The new nose is 50mm longer to accommodate for this and will be mounted with lolly sticks to free up space inside for the battery to come forward.

IMG_0976.jpeg

I’ve also replaced the tape on the side hatch with a handle and magnet set up. 🙂

Shurik-1960

A vivid example of the absence of a motor skewing to the right is the model pulling to the left.The author does not understand this and continues to hammer the model... I watched the video in spurts: a lot of blah-blah- blah and just a little bit of funny flight.